Dez Bryant in 'financial distress' before signing new deal

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The local media are a lot more plugged in than this guy and none of them have anything bad to say about dez. What a joke.

The guys on the Cowboys flagship station were defending him in regards to this article; however, they admitted that the Pizza Hut story and other things referenced in the story were true. They were basically admitting that they knew the story, but did not report it. The local media strive for access to the team and that can be cut off if they irritate the team by airing these stories themselves.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
The guys on the Cowboys flagship station were defending him in regards to this article; however, they admitted that the Pizza Hut story and other things referenced in the story were true. They were basically admitting that they knew the story, but did not report it. The local media strive for access to the team and that can be cut off if they irritate the team by airing these stories themselves.

DMN just published an article indicating Roc Nation asked him to cancel the Pizza Hut thing as they hadn't signed off on it.

As they are in control of his marketing, that sounds like s reasonable thing. Only cancelled last minute because they learned of it last minute. Seems like a lack of communication between old and new agents

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
DMN just published an article indicating Roc Nation asked him to cancel the Pizza Hut thing as they hadn't signed off on it.

As they are in control of his marketing, that sounds like s reasonable thing. Only cancelled last minute because they learned of it last minute. Seems like a lack of communication between old and new agents

I would recommend the same thing if a postponement was not feasible. Without having eyes on the contractual obligations, I would never advise a client to simply sign an endorsement deal.

Especially endorsements for things like pizza. Remember - Jerry Jones endorsed Papa John's not too long ago...amidst contract negotiations and long-term employment implications, there are far-reaching issues (and greater things on the table) that could influence a decision.

Roc Nation, for all the ire it gets to be run by a hip-hop mogul, appears to be quite a good agency when it comes to brand and financial management. I wish we knew more of its inner workings, but obviously if they're forging ahead in new territory, business practices are kept close to the vest.

Wouldn't be surprised, however, if some subsidiary of Roc Nation Sports had a hand in the development of the TV show Ballers.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
A significant percentage of professional athletes are financially illiterate.

This is true, but you could easily swap "professional athletes" to "adults" and it would be just as true. Now obviously, most adults don't deal with the amount of money and leeches that athletes do, so the mistakes aren't as big, but good financial sense takes time and practice to develop.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
If he was in such financial distress, I would have offered him a 50 million for 5 years contract, Take it or leave it.

Why wouldn't you want a guy like Dez, who gives his all, to get paid what he's worth? Why low ball him?

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Nope.
The franchise tag was on him.

So next year, when it cost 15.36 million to franchise him, what was the plan? Offer him the same deal? Keep in mind, his highest cap number is 17 mil, so eventually you begin to lose on the financial aspect, not to mention the flexibility we lose doing this.

mugsybows

Reaction score
honestly i love dez but i could see it. seems to me like he has a lot of his "boys" on his payroll cuz hes being a nice dude and taking care of his homies but its **** like that that gets you bankrupt fast. happened to hammer. i think thats why jerry wanted to meet with Jay z and rocafeller to secure that they would manage his money better for him this time.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I would recommend the same thing if a postponement was not feasible. Without having eyes on the contractual obligations, I would never advise a client to simply sign an endorsement deal.

Especially endorsements for things like pizza. Remember - Jerry Jones endorsed Papa John's not too long ago...amidst contract negotiations and long-term employment implications, there are far-reaching issues (and greater things on the table) that could influence a decision.

Roc Nation, for all the ire it gets to be run by a hip-hop mogul, appears to be quite a good agency when it comes to brand and financial management. I wish we knew more of its inner workings, but obviously if they're forging ahead in new territory, business practices are kept close to the vest.

Wouldn't be surprised, however, if some subsidiary of Roc Nation Sports had a hand in the development of the TV show Ballers.

I think the brand management thing is the key piece here. I expect they want to market Dez in a particular manner with control over the process. They likely are focused on hip and cool - pizza ads ain't that

hornitosmonster

Reaction score
I do believe that Dez was broke and that he will be another name on the long list of athletes who go broke when their career is over.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Because it had a big affect on the contract negotiations. The contract has very unusual provisions for deferring much of his signing bonus. There was NO salary cap benefit in the deferrals. It appears the only reason for the deferrals is because they didn't want him to get all of the money up front.

If he goes broke, it will be a big distraction for him. The Cowboys want to avoid that situation (again). They've already advanced him money in the past when creditors threatened legal action against him.

It might be unusual but it isn't very important. He will get 7m right now, 9m over the 17 weeks of the season, 7 next March and another 9m next season. That is still 32m any way you slice it.

With another 13m guaranteed for 2017 and 25m available after that.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
I love how they want me to believe another anonymous source story on Dez after they just swore up and down that there was a video tape that was '10 times worse than the Ray Rice tape' and no tape exists.

I think I'll pass on believing these clowns.

YR

erod

Reaction score
Simple situation, and brilliantly played by the Cowboys.

Dez had painted himself into a corner financially. The Joneses knew it and milked it like Bessie in the barn.

Then, knowing Dez was out of options, the Joneses did what they intended to do all along, which was give Dez a very nice contract with lots of structure and protections, for the Cowboys AND Dez to move forward.

In the process, they eliminated a huge distraction from training camp with big expectations for the team, and they made Dez a very relieved and happy camper in the process.

Win-win.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
The Cowboys were also weary of giving Bryant such a huge deal because he is “high-maintenance and worrisome,” Cole writes. He adds that Bryant allegedly also has “no sense of time management” and is “consistently late to meetings, team buses and other team functions.”

The wide receiver’s perceived shortcomings in these areas led to Bryant losing an estimated $400,000 and $1 million in income from endorsements, according to two sources. Given Bryant’s purported “financial distress” and lack of marketability, the so-called “guaranteed” money probably went a long way in getting the deal done.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/...ant-financial-distress-before-new-deal-072715

I jus half a hard time wondering what kind of endorsers Dez would half and for what products. Saggy pants? ostentasious jewelery, cars whose maker he cannot pronounce? Oh well, as long as the lad play well he gets a pass from gimme.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Simple situation, and brilliantly played by the Cowboys.

Dez had painted himself into a corner financially. The Joneses knew it and milked it like Bessie in the barn.

Then, knowing Dez was backed into a corner, the Joneses did what they intended to do all along, which was give Dez a nice contract with lots of structure and protections, for the Cowboys AND Dez to move forward.

In the process, they eliminated a huge distraction from training camp with big expectations for the team, and they made Dez a very relieved and happy camper in the process.

Win-win.

I like the so-called built-in protections for the Cowboys.

erod

Reaction score
I like the so-called built-in protections for the Cowboys.

They're built in for Dez, too. It'll give him another big bonus day down the road, and hopefully he'll wise up a bit on how he and his hangers-on are spending the cash.