Dez Bryant promoted to Ravens active roster

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm happy to have the X back in the league. I hope he balls out like a son of a gun. People rooting against him obviously have an agenda. They probably made a bunch of stupid proclamations about how he would "never play another down in the NFL" and "had nothing left." Yet the Ravens offered him a contract THE LAST TIME HE WAS AVAILABLE and took advantage of this opportunity to bring him on board. I know how much it burns people butts to be wrong but just step up and own it. Dez is going to get another shot.. As long as they don't ask him to go 60 snaps I think he will be fine. Dez at 32 is going to be able to go like hell for 3-4 plays and then need oxygen. But as soon as he recovers he will be the same old physical mismatch for 90% of corners in the league. The Ravens just need to stop themselves from leaning on him too much after he throws the first 190 pound corner who comes up to tackle him into the 3rd row.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Maybe there's a small chance the Ravens Coaching staff sees and know more than you bro?

I'm sure all coaching staffs know more than me and that's why Bryant has sat ideally by with all those other coaching staffs. It's not Bryant was weighing offers from a bunch of teams, no he had to wait not ONCE in 2018, but TWICE now in 2020 until a team was hard up enough to contact Bryant. Don't go with your implications when I can read a calendar and how long in between offers for Bryant.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm sure all coaching staffs know more than me and that's why Bryant has sat ideally by with all those other coaching staffs. It's not Bryant was weighing offers from a bunch of teams, no he had to wait not ONCE in 2018, but TWICE now in 2020 until a team was hard up enough to contact Bryant. Don't go with your implications when I can read a calendar and how long in between offers for Bryant.

This take is brain dead considering a full year of his downtime was owed to recovery from one of the most difficult injuries in sports to come back from. An injury that is almost universally known to take at LEAST a year.. Meaning that at least 12 months had to elapse between his surgery and teams could even bring him in for a workout. Regardless of your expert analysis he's going get his shot to show what he can do. I hope it doesn't hurt your feeling too much if he has a good showing.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dez Bryant's decline coincided with Daks arrival. Dak wasn't a good qb in 16,17 and 18 all the receivers stats went down. Dez ended up being a scapegoat for all the teams problems and I'm happy that he's getting another chance.

Ya that's ALMOST believable EXCEPT in 2016 Prescott was the NFL offensive rookie of the year. Bryant's job is to CATCH the ball yet in 2016 Bryant was 1 drop away from leading the league in drops and then in 2017 Bryant led the ENTIRE league in drops. Now to prove you know nothing about what you're trying to talk about, Bryant was no longer with the Cowboys in 2018.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Have you watched the Ravens? If he can block on the outside like a TE he's gonna get a lot of opportunities.

FTR, it was mostly a tongue in cheek comment. I don't expect Dez to do much of anything.

On that we agree.

birdwells1

Reaction score
Ya that's ALMOST believable EXCEPT in 2016 Prescott was the NFL offensive rookie of the year. Bryant's job is to CATCH the ball yet in 2016 Bryant was 1 drop away from leading the league in drops and then in 2017 Bryant led the ENTIRE league in drops. Now to prove you know nothing about what you're trying to talk about, Bryant was no longer with the Cowboys in 2018.
In 2016 Dak was a bus driver that threw the ball to safe places, the slot and tight end and to the wrs close to the sidelines. I never said that Dez was here in 2018 I was stating that Dak didn't become a complete qb until 2019.

Your passion behind a player that hasn't been on the roster since 2017 speaks volumes about you and your character. You could easily avoid this post but........

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
The Cowboys cut Dez after dragging it out..you're obsessed with a player who isn't on the team anymore, but you want to make sure you remember "this" about him while he's now with the Ravens? Sound petty like a scorned ex gf

His contract didn't expire he was released after the first wave of FA. Dude holds Cowboy WR records but wasn't a good receiver? We ended up having to trade for Amari bc they didn't replace Dez with a proper #1.

That's pretty funny that others that remember Bryant's early years when he was a good receiver said things about him, good things, but because I remember how he played the last couple of years he was in Dallas now I'm obsessing. So it's OK to remember the good years he had but not the bad years. I have admitted that Bryant was at one time a good receiver but he wasn't the last couple of years and that is why he was released. The Cowboys were willing to take a chance on receivers that didn't drop the ball but later after giving that a try decided they had to get a real #1 so they traded for Cooper. Trading for Cooper is not an admission of error on Bryant.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
That's pretty funny that others that remember Bryant's early years when he was a good receiver said things about him, good things, but because I remember how he played the last couple of years he was in Dallas now I'm obsessing. So it's OK to remember the good years he had but not the bad years. I have admitted that Bryant was at one time a good receiver but he wasn't the last couple of years and that is why he was released. The Cowboys were willing to take a chance on receivers that didn't drop the ball but later after giving that a try decided they had to get a real #1 so they traded for Cooper. Trading for Cooper is not an admission of error on Bryant.

Dez was not released because he was not a good receiver.. He was released because he was no longer a 15 million dollar a year receiver and the team didn't think he could handle taking a paycut. Jerry said himself that he told Dez "I won't even insult you with a lower salary offer.." The team wanted to move on and they knew that it would be a while before Dak gained enough confidence in himself and in Dez to throw it to Dez even when he was covered. And if we weren't going to take advantage of that singular skill that Dez had then we were wasting $15 million a year. Cooper and Dak got on the same page because Cooper creates that immediate separation that Dak likes to see .. He also runs more consistent routes than Dez and is going to be where Dak expects him to be more consistently. Dez sees the game from his perspective which is that if there is a 5'10" 180 pound corner covering him he doesn't need to run some elaborate route to get yards. Run 10 yards, post up, throw him the ball.. first down. Or if said lil cornerback misses the tackle.. touchdown. Amari will take a corner to school.. Dez would make him wish he was back in school. If he has any of that left in the tank.. I will enjoy watching it. I don't think Jackson is even as accurate as Dak was back when Dez was here.. but he is far more apt to improvise and throw it up for Dez to go get it than Dak ever was.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Will play in his 1st NFL game since Dec. 2017.

Here’s hoping he throws up the X tomorrow!

tenor.gif

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
This take is brain dead considering a full year of his downtime was owed to recovery from one of the most difficult injuries in sports to come back from. An injury that is almost universally known to take at LEAST a year.. Meaning that at least 12 months had to elapse between his surgery and teams could even bring him in for a workout. Regardless of your expert analysis he's going get his shot to show what he can do. I hope it doesn't hurt your feeling too much if he has a good showing.

Lets review things. Bryant was released in 2018 and SAT unwanted until the saints lost their #1 and #3 receivers in back to back weeks and was desperate enough to bring in Bryant week 10. Then in his first practice has his injury. So giving your thought of taking the entire 2019 season off even though there was a former player on a pregame show later last season who had the same injury and said Bryant could have played some in 2019 if he wanted to and if there was a team that wanted him. But we'll give him 2019 and then he sit the entire free agent period, and training camp and all the way until week 8 until a team finally signs him. Really good players don't sit like that for that many weeks unsigned unless there is other problems like now Antonio Brown finally got another chance. His skills were never in doubt, it was off the field issues. Bryant's has been what he still had as a receiver with a side note on what he was to the locker room and marching off the field pouting like a little kid before the game was over especially when the offense still had the ball his last year in Dallas.

So don't get on me for remembering what he was like as a receiver the last couple years he was still playing.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You have to understand...

if Dez is still any good that means the Fan Boys hero Jerry Jones is not a smart "football guy"

Can't have that.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
In 2016 Dak was a bus driver that threw the ball to safe places, the slot and tight end and to the wrs close to the sidelines. I never said that Dez was here in 2018 I was stating that Dak didn't become a complete qb until 2019.

Your passion behind a player that hasn't been on the roster since 2017 speaks volumes about you and your character. You could easily avoid this post but........

My character for not remembering Bryant's earlier years but instead remembering what his play was like his last couple seasons. You still want to blame Prescott yet you don't have any real answer for Bryant leading the league in drops his last season nor does it explain that Bryant stomped off the field to the locker room like a spoiled little kid when the game wasn't over because he wasn't going to get the ball. Or how that caused problems in the locker room, yet you want to blame Prescott for all of Bryant's problems his last couple of seasons. If you want to think Bryant is the receiver of 2011 then knock your socks off but my memory is a lot better than that.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Lets review things. Bryant was released in 2018 and SAT unwanted until the saints lost their #1 and #3 receivers in back to back weeks and was desperate enough to bring in Bryant week 10. Then in his first practice has his injury. So giving your thought of taking the entire 2019 season off even though there was a former player on a pregame show later last season who had the same injury and said Bryant could have played some in 2019 if he wanted to and if there was a team that wanted him. But we'll give him 2019 and then he sit the entire free agent period, and training camp and all the way until week 8 until a team finally signs him. Really good players don't sit like that for that many weeks unsigned unless there is other problems like now Antonio Brown finally got another chance. His skills were never in doubt, it was off the field issues. Bryant's has been what he still had as a receiver with a side note on what he was to the locker room and marching off the field pouting like a little kid before the game was over especially when the offense still had the ball his last year in Dallas.

So don't get on me for remembering what he was like as a receiver the last couple years he was still playing.

You are obviously free to remember whatever years you want.. I am merely pointing out that Dez's game was not a good match for young Dak. Trotting out the old "good players will always get signed" argument like NFL front offices are infallible is a tricky deal seeing as how every year two or three guys get signed off the street in the middle of the season and come in and kick tail. But remember it's also a two way street. Dez has made enough money in his career that he could afford to sit and wait until the right opportunity came along. He didn't have to cave and go to the Jets or some other bottom feeder. You think it's coincidence that the two teams that offered him a deal were the Saints and the Ravens (twice) .. Just because all the teams that reached out to his agent weren't announced doesn't mean the phone didn't ring.. Dez made it known from jump that he wasn't signing with no sorry *** team at any price. But I bet those teams called anyway.. and Dez instructed his agent to hang up on them.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
Dez was not released because he was not a good receiver.. He was released because he was no longer a 15 million dollar a year receiver and the team didn't think he could handle taking a paycut. Jerry said himself that he told Dez "I won't even insult you with a lower salary offer.." The team wanted to move on and they knew that it would be a while before Dak gained enough confidence in himself and in Dez to throw it to Dez even when he was covered. And if we weren't going to take advantage of that singular skill that Dez had then we were wasting $15 million a year. Cooper and Dak got on the same page because Cooper creates that immediate separation that Dak likes to see .. He also runs more consistent routes than Dez and is going to be where Dak expects him to be more consistently. Dez sees the game from his perspective which is that if there is a 5'10" 180 pound corner covering him he doesn't need to run some elaborate route to get yards. Run 10 yards, post up, throw him the ball.. first down. Or if said lil cornerback misses the tackle.. touchdown. Amari will take a corner to school.. Dez would make him wish he was back in school. If he has any of that left in the tank.. I will enjoy watching it. I don't think Jackson is even as accurate as Dak was back when Dez was here.. but he is far more apt to improvise and throw it up for Dez to go get it than Dak ever was.

I might even buy some of that except for a couple of things. First Bryant's last season in Dallas, 2017, he lead the league in drops. Second if Bryant despite his drops and stomping off the field like a spoiled little kid before the game was over when he wasn't going to get the ball and the problems that caused in the locker room, was such a really good receiver the Cowboys surely could have gotten something in trade for him but no, they had to release him. Again if he was still such a good receiver after being released and not having to trade for his contract there sure would have been offer right away for him but no, he sat until week 10 when the saints got so desperate after losing their #1 and #3 receivers in back to back weeks.

You can make up all the excuses you want to justify what happened but what actually did and didn't happen speaks much louder than your excuses.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
You are obviously free to remember whatever years you want.. I am merely pointing out that Dez's game was not a good match for young Dak. Trotting out the old "good players will always get signed" argument like NFL front offices are infallible is a tricky deal seeing as how every year two or three guys get signed off the street in the middle of the season and come in and kick tail. But remember it's also a two way street. Dez has made enough money in his career that he could afford to sit and wait until the right opportunity came along. He didn't have to cave and go to the Jets or some other bottom feeder. You think it's coincidence that the two teams that offered him a deal were the Saints and the Ravens (twice) .. Just because all the teams that reached out to his agent weren't announced doesn't mean the phone didn't ring.. Dez made it known from jump that he wasn't signing with no sorry *** team at any price. But I bet those teams called anyway.. and Dez instructed his agent to hang up on them.

I'm so glad you have such a personal access to Bryant and his agent to tell us what he has ordered his agent to do. Talk about BSing. Also your example of the players on the street that sign and play good, most of those players had off the field issues and they're football skills weren't the problem and teams decide to give them another chance because a need forces them to. You are right that the media doesn't have a tap on Bryant or his agent's phone but teams can't hide when a player comes for a workout and and when he left the two he had without offers being made that also tells a lot. I'm also so glad you know Bryant's personal finances because we've never seen players who have made a ton of money and only a couple years later it's almost all gone because they spent it like water while they were getting paychecks. Again if you want to think Bryant is still some good receiver, knock your socks off but those who make their living making those type of decisions have stayed away from him for a reason.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I might even buy some of that except for a couple of things. First Bryant's last season in Dallas, 2017, he lead the league in drops. Second if Bryant despite his drops and stomping off the field like a spoiled little kid before the game was over when he wasn't going to get the ball and the problems that caused in the locker room, was such a really good receiver the Cowboys surely could have gotten something in trade for him but no, they had to release him. Again if he was still such a good receiver after being released and not having to trade for his contract there sure would have been offer right away for him but no, he sat until week 10 when the saints got so desperate after losing their #1 and #3 receivers in back to back weeks.

You can make up all the excuses you want to justify what happened but what actually did and didn't happen speaks much louder than your excuses.

The Ravens offered him a 1 year deal days after he was released by the Cowboys.. Did that conveniently escape that wonderful memory of yours? And again your fallback that "nobody signed him so he can't be good" is patently false. The examples of guys the league gave up on who came back and balled out is too numerous to list here. Nobody wanted Jeff Garcia so he had to go play in Canada.. all he did was come back and lead his team to multiple playoff runs.. Kurt Warner was left for dead after his flame out with the Giants.. all he did was lead the Cardinals to a Super Bowl.. THE CARDINALS!!!! Both he and Warren Moon went from undrafted to the Hall of Fame.. so please quit runnin this "NFL front offices are omniscient" smack man. They whiff all the time.. After all.. they told us Jared Goff and Carson Wentz were going to vie for the title of greatest QB of all time before they were done. The slobbered over Sam Darnold.. and said the Chiefs reached on Mahomes.. They passed over Tom Brady 150 times.. and passed on Russell Wilson 100... Shall I go on?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I'm so glad you have such a personal access to Bryant and his agent to tell us what he has ordered his agent to do. Talk about BSing. Also your example of the players on the street that sign and play good, most of those players had off the field issues and they're football skills weren't the problem and teams decide to give them another chance because a need forces them to. You are right that the media doesn't have a tap on Bryant or his agent's phone but teams can't hide when a player comes for a workout and and when he left the two he had without offers being made that also tells a lot. I'm also so glad you know Bryant's personal finances because we've never seen players who have made a ton of money and only a couple years later it's almost all gone because they spent it like water while they were getting paychecks. Again if you want to think Bryant is still some good receiver, knock your socks off but those who make their living making those type of decisions have stayed away from him for a reason.

I don't think he's anything.. What he is or isn't will be determined on the field. As it should be. I just don't agree with your premise that since the people who told me that Josh Rosen, Carson, Wentz, Jared Goff and Sam Darnold were better QB prospects than Pat Mahomes say Dez can't play I should just accept it at face value. There is ample evidence that a good amount of the time they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

gjkoeppen

Reaction score
I don't think he's anything.. What he is or isn't will be determined on the field. As it should be. I just don't agree with your premise that since the people who told me that Josh Rosen, Carson, Wentz, Jared Goff and Sam Darnold were better QB prospects than Pat Mahomes say Dez can't play I should just accept it at face value. There is ample evidence that a good amount of the time they have no idea what the hell they're talking about.

Could that also include you or is it just other people that don't always know what the hell your talking about. As far as your Warner and Moon examples the HUGE difference between them and Bryant is both NEVER sat not playing. They both played some kind of professional football keeping and honing their skills and didn't have off the field issues. Well Warmer finally did with the rams when they got tired of his wife butting in for Warner. As far as using HOF players most of the time players that hold or held or were very close to holding NFL records get in the HOF. Bryant is listed as 122 on receiving yards and 136 on catches so i think the chances are extremely slim that he'll ever get a gold jacket.

I'm not going to say anything about the current QB's because that has zero to do with Bryant.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Will play in his 1st NFL game since Dec. 2017.

Here’s hoping he throws up the X tomorrow!
:starspin:
I wanna see some maturity before I root for that bozo. Witten, and others thought he was a cancer which proved to be true. Proof is in the pudding.