Dez Bryant

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
I had a chance to visit the Cowboy's camp yesterday, my wife won VIP passes for the family. We all were excited, I bought an authenic helmet and a Dez Bryant (who happen to share our family's name) jersey, against my better judgement, I should add (Ware was my first choice). To get to the point, he came off as rather pompous.It's not that I didn't get our jersey signed, he didn't sign any autographs. He didn't practice, so that wasn't an excuse. Ware, Austin, Newman, and a host of other players took at least 5 mins to show love to the fans. Witten went as far as driving a golf cart to the fans seated behind the endzone and went from one end to the other signing. Sean Lee is another that took time to sign. It just don't register for me, a rookie should be humble, 10 min out of your time isn't too much to give to the people that is the reason you can make a living playing a game. Just had to vent.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
4lifecowboy;3484190 said:
I had a chance to visit the Cowboy's camp yesterday, my wife won VIP passes for the family. We all were excited, I bought an authenic helmet and a Dez Bryant (who happen to share our family's name) jersey, against my better judgement, I should add (Ware was my first choice). To get to the point, he came off as rather pompous.It's not that I didn't get our jersey signed, he didn't sign any autographs. He didn't practice, so that wasn't an excuse. Ware, Austin, Newman, and a host of other players took at least 5 mins to show love to the fans. Witten went as far as driving a golf cart to the fans seated behind the endzone and went from one end to the other signing. Sean Lee is another that took time to sign. It just don't register for me, a rookie should be humble, 10 min out of your time isn't too much to give to the people that is the reason you can make a living playing a game. Just had to vent.

well move on, its been well documented that he was signing his moniker well after all other players numerous days after practice.

davidl

Reaction score
And he probably has been advised not to mingle with the crowds due to the walking boot he is wearing.

Gemini Dolly

Reaction score
thats bizzare. Theres been pictures of him daily signing for the fans.

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
Though I understand your emotions on this, seeing as you just plopped down some dough on his jersey and a helmet, we don't really know his side now do we?

Maybe he is angry about not being able to practice and is avoiding meeting needy fans because his anger over not playing might spill over into his interactions with them. Or maybe he had a migraine. Whatever!

If it becomes an ongoing behavior, then you have a real gripe. But, we don't know that it will do we?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
He's probably signed more autographs than anyone else so i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Prolly cause his moms is a prostitute. :eek:

was that wrong?

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Dhragon;3484200 said:
Though I understand your emotions on this, seeing as you just plopped down some dough on his jersey and a helmet, we don't really know his side now do we?

Maybe he is angry about not being able to practice and is avoiding meeting needy fans because his anger over not playing might spill over into his interactions with them. Or maybe he had a migraine. Whatever!

If it becomes an ongoing behavior, then you have a real gripe. But, we don't know that it will do we?

I am speaking from emotions, like i said just venting. I factored in the things i had read prior to the visit, Peter King, the shoulder pad deal and reacted after it stewed overnight and thru the work day. I don't know his circumstances, but the last chance I had to have a bonafided star with my name on the back of his jersey turn out really bad, mainly due to a pompous attitude.

Don't get me wrong the overall day was one for the memory archives. Austin, Jenkins, Davis, Lee, Crayton, Benett, and Jarrett all sign my helmet. I missed Newman and Ware by a hair.

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
4lifecowboy;3484236 said:
Don't get me wrong the overall day was one for the memory archives. Austin, Jenkins, Davis, Lee, Crayton, Benett, and Jarrett all sign my helmet. I missed Newman and Ware by a hair.

Wow, sounds like you are very spoiled. No offense. You were able to go to a training camp VIP and got a number of great signatures and got to see these guys up close. So what if Bryant didn’t sign? He didn’t tell you to buy his jersey. You can probably still sell it to someone at full price and get you another jersey. When i went Miles Austin didn’t sign...so now he is pompous? Not being fair to the kid.

BlueStar3398

Reaction score
Seven;3484229 said:
Prolly cause his moms is a prostitute. :eek:

was that wrong?

:laugh2: You were wrong for that, but it made me laugh. :p:

Very surprised to see these comments by the OP. I've been hearing the exact opposite about Dez when it comes to signing for the fans! They have said repeatedly, that when he was practicing, he stayed out longer than any other player signing for the fans. Honestly, I think it is probably because of the boot he is wearing. And how can you say he's pompous if you didn't meet him?

Rynie

Benched
Reaction score
I think you just got to him on an off day. We all have them. If you think about it, his NFL career has started a little rocky with all the media stuff getting blown out of proportion. He's probably tired of all of it. Either way, I don't get the arrogant vibe from his interviews.

cowboyfreak

Reaction score
Well I agree somewhat with the OP. We had VIP passes for three practices. I don't think its about being spoiled fans. What i think is...some players choose to interact with the fans and give back to them more than others. For the three practices I was there, it would be more than generous to say that 10% of the players signed or even came close to the fans. Most just look straight ahead and run back thru the tunnel. Now I agree that they dont have to say or do anything, that is their prerogative but some do and make fans for life for taking 2 or 3 minutes of their time to scribble a few letters on a football or piece of paper.
The same players stopped to talk:star: and sign each day. I got the same autographs as the OP but in addition was lucky enough to get Ware and a few others as well. Jason Witten is the bomb because he takes time to talk to and appreciates his fans. He posed for pictures and recognized my sons from previous practices and was a complete gentlemen. I must also recognize Sean Lee and Cletus Gordon for doing the same...
Ill post some pics as soon as I can!

PS: since i am on my way back from San Antonio, I dont know if it has been reported or not but Anthony Spencer looked to be in fine shape today. I know or at least I thought there was a report of him being injured.

DallasCowpoke

Fierce Allegiance
Reaction score
4lifecowboy;3484236 said:
and reacted after it stewed overnight and thru the work day.

What are you, like eight!?

Hearing what I assume is a grownup, whine over not getting an autograph, then still "stewing over it" 24-hours later, reinforces why most professional athletics have such little patience for most "fans".

Angus

Reaction score
Don't make excuses for Bryant any more than you would make them for Williams. Snooty is snooty.

:cool:

JBS

Reaction score
stop ragging on the OP..the guy clearly wanted to get Dez's sig and he came away unsuccessful..I understand the OPs beef here but because Dez has been one of the more willing signers on our team I will give him a free pass..you just caught him on a bad day man..

as a measly consolation prize he got Austin's sig...sell that poo poo to R2A...

;)

vaturkey

Reaction score
I went to camp in SA in Parcell's first year when Romo was a rookie with my teenage son. Some of the prima donna's wouldn't even stop to sign anything as they left the field. Others would stop and sign for at least 5 minutes. Still remember Chad Hutchenson (the supposed next Aikman) ignoring the fans for three straight days and just walking through the tunnel with his head down. Other fellows including Roy Williams (the other one) signed for a long time and even gave my son a wrist band. We also got a ton of autographs from players who are long since gone from the league. Bottom line is any free autograph is a treasure. Sure beats going to a card show and paying xamount of dollars just to walk in the door. I give all these guys a pass. After practice they are tired and sore and getting screamed at for autographs and all they want is a hot shower and to hop in a hot tub.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
DallasCowpoke;3484299 said:
What are you, like eight!?

Hearing what I assume is a grownup, whine over not getting an autograph, then still "stewing over it" 24-hours later, reinforces why most professional athletics have such little patience for most "fans".
:rolleyes:There's nothing wrong with fans going into practice sessions like these thinking that athletes will be accessible to them. They're public property.

And yeah, it probably does hurt to go in their with a realistic expectation and getting rebuffed. Especially since it costs money with traveling, food and hotel expenses to make the trip out to one of these.