Twitter: Dez calls out Jason Garrett

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
Those of you who support Garrett just remember the "meritocracy" speech that Romo gave. For it weren't for Romo speaking up about how Dak deserved to be starter, I would bet that Garrett would have put Romo back in as starter and possibly have Prescott sit another 2-3 more years until Romo and Witten decide to call it quits.

plasticman

Reaction score
Yeah, that's it.

It was friendship and not Witten's 71.4% catch ratio versus Dez's 58.4% catch ratio.

It had nothing to do with Witten's reliability having missed only two games during a 15 season span while Dez missed ten games in his last three seasons.

The fact that Witten was a meticulous route runner and Romo always knew where he would be as opposed to Dez's sloppy execution had nothing to do with it. It was friendship.

I mean, Witten is a future Hall of Famer. That can't compare to Dez's ability to prevent playing up to his contract with zero thousand yard seasons after he signed his name.

Finally, perhaps Dez should have compared his targets and not his catches. Possibly, he thinks it would be more fair if someone else caught his passes for him.

Witten averaged 7.3 targets per game and Dez averaged 9.2 targets per game.

But sure. It was friendship.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Those of you who support Garrett just remember the "meritocracy" speech that Romo gave. For it weren't for Romo speaking up about how Dak deserved to be starter, I would bet that Garrett would have put Romo back in as starter and possibly have Prescott sit another 2-3 more years until Romo and Witten decide to call it quits.
Nope. Sorry, bro. No way was Garrett or the Joneses sitting Dak back down when Romo asked for a QB competition midway through November once fully recovered from a back injury, because Dak had just finished leading the Cowboys to a record 8 game win streak and an 8-1 record to that point of the season. Dak had cemented himself as the undeniable new franchise QB, and the Cowboys front office was not going to risk disrupting that over anybody else or anyone's feelings no matter what.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
No lies told but I know some feelings will get hurt.

For years and years, many of us said that the Garrett-Romo-Witten bromance was poison for the locker room. It's why the team never felt like a true brotherhood. This year you are finally seeing what a tight-knit locker room looks like.

#Truth

khiladi

Reaction score
Romo was such a Garrett-boy that he stripped play-calling duties away from Garrett. This began the demotion of Garrett’s role in the offense, while Jerry still retained his “golden boy” as HC, giving power to coordinators to handle the actual coaching.

How exactly could Romo be conspiring with Witten to keep the ball away from Dez? He wasn’t even allowed input into the game-planning. Romo was able to force the issue with the new contract. Romo was basically bailing out a garbage play-caller, whose evidence in Giants land is all too obvious.

Romo had ZERO problems getting the ball to Dez even when Garrett was still in charge of the offense and when Linehan came, TWill as a SECOND WR in the 2014 as well. Hell, Witten in 2016, Dak’s first year here was targeted more than Witten in Romo’s 2014 season. Evan Engram in Garrett’s first year with the Giants was targeted 109 times while starting 14 games. He’s on pace for over 100 targets this year as well.

Garrett has ZERO power here as far as game planning was concerned since 2014, when Jerry banished him for good.

But of course Dak-stans love to re-write the narratives. Most of them were Garrett fans back in the day anyways and used to hate on Romo all the time. Garrett had ZERO to do with the offense, as far as play calling is concerned Dak’s whole time here. Dak under Garrett, with the OL and RG Romo worked with, would look worse than Daniel Jones in Giants land.

https://www.nfl.com/news/is-tony-romo-an-offensive-coordinator-in-training-0ap1000000220475

King added that Romo will attend game plan meetings this season and have input on plays that will go into each week's game plan. That checks out with what owner/general manager Jerry Jones said about Romo in May.

"The people who are around him the most, his coaches, tell me he's never had a bad idea," Jones said. "So if you think about it, where he is right now, he's 10 years older than most of the players that are out on that field. We think his skill level is very much right where we hoped it would be for several years to come.

"But what we want to use more than we ever have, is the kind of thing that (Roger) Staubach contributed on the field," Jones added. "Real input into designing a plan that helps beat that opponent."

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/7/18/4534418/tony-romo-dallas-cowboys-game-plan

I think here going forward, I’ll just be more involved in game-planning," Romo told Jackel. "There are certain things I really believe can help us that we’re going to do some of that. It’s a collective group effort and I think we’re all going to go in there and go to work."

Reports of Romo's role in game-planning initially surfaced in April when ESPN's Ed Werder reported that the 11-year NFL vet would be meeting with the coaching staff twice a week to help in game preparation.

It has been a tumultuous offseason in Dallas as the 'boys have been in the news for play-calling and coaching drama. In June, team owner Jerry Jones very publicly announced he was relieving head coach Jason Garrett of play-calling duties and turning them over to offensive coordinator Bill Callahan.

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
How exactly could Romo be conspiring with Witten to keep the ball away from Dez? Dez was targeted his most in 2013, at 159 targets and the 2014 year, it was 136 targets. His targets increased the less influence Garrett had and the more influence Romo had. Hell, even in 2017, he was targeted by Linehan 132 times and the 2016 year, it was 96, meaning the numbers dropped in Dak’s first year.

In fact the talk of the town was that Dak didn’t force the ball to WRs and Dez became the scapegoat for 2017 Dak and offensive performance, which led to his being cut. It was because he was “forcing” Dak to throw to him that he needed to be released. Thus began the “Dak-friendly” offense, where Dak-stans thought that Cole Beasley would fill the number 1 role, because of his 2016 receptions. But the actual reality was that teams basically keyed in on Beasley in 2017, taking away Dak’s go-to route and he sucked. He continued to suck until Stephen had to go get Amari Cooper, who as is obvious this last Sunday, even Cooper Rush had no problems finding in man coverage.

Even the beginning of the 2016 season, we had articles like the following:

“Dak Prescott won't force ball to Dez Bryant, confident they will gel”

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/amp...iants-Football Team/3vi4ceswiq5l1u5bwxmu7ekfo

And by the time 2017 rolled around, it was:

Dak Prescott Should Start Ignoring Dez Bryant

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/dak-prescott-should-start-ignoring-dez-bryant/

In reality, Dak-homers and anti-Romo fans in general started patching onto the Garrett excuse after 2018 to defend their boy Dak.

Tenkamenin

Reaction score
While Witten barely sniffs the endzone but gets the majority of the passes.
As good as he was, he was very fortunate to get as many targets as the best receivers on our team. For instance, in 2007 Witten had 141 targets, and Owens also had 141 targets. However, Owens had twice as many TDs and 200 more yards than Witten. Give Owens 40 of Witten targets and we score more.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I love Dez, really I do, and I think he's probably right. I don't think he's trying to be provocative, and all in all he probably doesn't dislike Garrett or anything and is trying to be honest. But this is laundry that should just be left alone by a former player.

It's one thing for us to say things like this, another for a former player to do so.

I agree, Dez does not know when to put things behind him and move on. I think this mindset hurt his even after he left Dallas where he was unable to take advantage with opportunities in New Orleans and with the Ravens.

Blake

Reaction score

Uh no… That was Romo’s resignation speech after Garret and the organization clearly chose to stick the hot hand.

kskboys

Reaction score
All 2 of them?

kskboys

Reaction score
As good as he was, he was very fortunate to get as many targets as the best receivers on our team. For instance, in 2007 Witten had 141 targets, and Owens also had 141 targets. However, Owens had twice as many TDs and 200 more yards than Witten. Give Owens 40 of Witten targets and we score more.
Or, our O is shut down.

Man, you guys are weird. Spreading the ball around is what makes an O click. This is simple football 101 stuff, man.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
Maybe the big cry baby should have just hung onto the ball and people would like him better. Or maybe not hold out for a massive deal then stink up the joint. Or maybe act like a grown man and not need a baby sitter in your 20s. Or maybe learn how to run a route. Good grief what a baby.