Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

conner01

Reaction score
When was this about Dez vs the offensive line. This was the same thing people said when people wanted Murray to be resigned. Then they said this when people want Peterson. So based on this logic we can only have an offensive line or a a quality receiver or running back. Somehow I don't think it works this way. Here is a thought.....WR's take longer to contribute than offensive linemen. Maybe we don't need 5 All Pro offensive linemen while having garbage at RB and WR. A healthy balance may be the best approach.

Plus most likely the difference in what we want to pay him comes down to guarantees and years more than annual salary.

There is only so much money to go around
Bottom line is every signing has an effect on another
We will never have 5 all pro oline
But smith, Fred, and Martin are must keeps. They are as good if not better at their respective positions than anyone except maybe our QB
Football is all about the trenches
You don't have to have trish at other positions but it's hard to have a QB in a second deal, the highest paid WR and a quality oline
If it comes down to making dez the highest paid WR or keeping those three on the oline, I take the oline
Everyone wants to keep dez but not if it involves paying him CJ money

conner01

Reaction score
Lol. We are talking about a guy that spent 400k on a #88 diamond necklace here on a rookie contract!

Who the hell buys/needs a 2 million dollar car? Bill Gates and who else??

Buying a 2 million dollar car is fine if you have 2 million dollars
Going in debt to buy that much car is totally different
And that is more true for football players who have a decade or so to make the money that sets them up for life

conner01

Reaction score
Stop just stop. they may keep selling tickets. but without Murray and Dez, this team will lose a lot of games. no playoffs.

That may very well be the case but you don't mortgage the future for now
We've tried that and it didn't work out

Jerryrage

Reaction score
"Pay the man"

This is the most dimwitted, short-sighted, ignorant and meaningless statement constantly echoed about this matter.

Let me ask you this. Can the Cowboys get in the post season with no Dez Bryant?

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Love Dez on the field but he's acting like an idiot . Who wouldn't take 13 million to play football for a year ?

It's about job security. That's what he wants. Being franchised, he still is making great money but he has no security. Just a one year deal. This isn't baseball or basketball where you can easily have a long career and multiple big paydays. Plus, those sports guarantee the whole contract. Unlike the NFL. What is Dez goes out there and blows his knee out and ruins his career or limits his ability to where he will never get a big deal? Dez has one shot to get a big contract. And that's now. He doesn't want to risk playing the next 2 years under one year deals. That's not smart for him.

I find it funny people turn on players so often when the owners are making a killing on their services and then some. While owners constantly try and low ball players and even force them to take paycuts. And no one bats an eye. But the second a player looks out for himself and wants security, he's labeled as selfish, etc. This is a business and their job. Everyone is just viewing this from afar and see it as entertainment. And the game on the field is entertainment but not the finances part. That's their life. They have a short span of earning potential.

Also, Dez still gets paid the whole franchise tender as long as he plays x number of games. Can't remember the number but it's not the whole season. He can then I believe just sign it when he wants and get paid for that season. Or go the route of embellishing an "injury" as many have did.

I hate when fans get involved in these negotiations. I tend to always side with the players, especially the NFL. The owners are wealthy beyond their means and are some of the greediest people in the world.

Rogah

Reaction score
How many games are we winning without Dez and Murray both?

I got us at 6 max

Romo has maybe 2 good seasons left and you are willing to piss away one of them?
What is it about him having the absolute best season of his career last year that makes you think he has only 2 years left? Peyton Manning is 4 years older and seems to be playing reasonably well.

Rogah

Reaction score
I hate when fans get involved in these negotiations. I tend to always side with the players, especially the NFL. The owners are wealthy beyond their means and are some of the greediest people in the world.
You, uh, do realize there's a salary cap in the NFL, right?

It isn't about how wealthy Jerruh is. We all know he's filthy stinking rich and making money hand over fist. It's about the fact that no matter how much money an owner has, there is a set amount he can spend on players.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Let him sit out. Frankly I think the early games with the exception of the Pats will not be that hard.

Have to laugh at the idea that we should feel sorry for him if he only makes 13 million this year and no so called security next year. The likelihood of him getting any kind of career threatening injury is very small. And he can get insurance if necessary.

burmafrd

Reaction score
It's about job security. That's what he wants. Being franchised, he still is making great money but he has no security. Just a one year deal. This isn't baseball or basketball where you can easily have a long career and multiple big paydays. Plus, those sports guarantee the whole contract. Unlike the NFL. What is Dez goes out there and blows his knee out and ruins his career or limits his ability to where he will never get a big deal? Dez has one shot to get a big contract. And that's now. He doesn't want to risk playing the next 2 years under one year deals. That's not smart for him.

I find it funny people turn on players so often when the owners are making a killing on their services and then some. While owners constantly try and low ball players and even force them to take paycuts. And no one bats an eye. But the second a player looks out for himself and wants security, he's labeled as selfish, etc. This is a business and their job. Everyone is just viewing this from afar and see it as entertainment. And the game on the field is entertainment but not the finances part. That's their life. They have a short span of earning potential.

Also, Dez still gets paid the whole franchise tender as long as he plays x number of games. Can't remember the number but it's not the whole season. He can then I believe just sign it when he wants and get paid for that season. Or go the route of embellishing an "injury" as many have did.

clearly you have never heard of that thing called the salary cap

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score

There is no real job security in the NFL. Most guarantees on new deals only cover 2-3 years.

Dez stands to make 28m by next March if he signs the tags. That is about as secure as it gets.

If he is really worried about next year he could buy a 10m insurance policy for 100k and that would be tax free. DAL should even buy it for him if that all it takes.

CaptainMorgan

Reaction score
If Dez wasnt a talented football player he would be towel drying cars at the the local car wash. He can barely speak coherently and he's about to make 13 million for doing what he supposedly loves to do.

I have no protection in my career, neither do most of you so thats a lame excuse. Play football Dez, it's all your good for.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
If Dez wasnt a talented football player he would be towel drying cars at the the local car wash. He can barely speak coherently and he's about to make 13 million for doing what he supposedly loves to do.

I have no protection in my career, neither do most of you so thats a lame excuse. Play football Dez, it's all your good for.

Amen.

You get to play a game for millions...a couple fewer million will still set you for life unless you're a stupid numbskull

Blackspider214

Reaction score
There is no real job security in the NFL. Most guarantees on new deals only cover 2-3 years.

Dez stands to make 28m by next March if he signs the tags. That is about as secure as it gets.

If he is really worried about next year he could buy a 10m insurance policy for 100k and that would be tax free. DAL should even buy it for him if that all it takes.

Again, he could blow out his knee week 1 and ruin his career. If that happens, you really think Dallas is going to franchise him again for that amount? Nope.

There is a huge difference in making 28mill over 2 years and playing under 2 one year deals versus signing a long term deal and the guaranteed money be double that or around that ballpark.

Name me another top flight star at their position that is being franchised? Dez sees that and feels slighted.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
clearly you have never heard of that thing called the salary cap

Clearly I have. You really think the salary cap is holding them back? No. Don't hide behind that. Was the salary cap in question when they gave Romo that insane deal he got? Or Tyron Smith? Yes. And they managed. They have enough space to sign Dez to a long term deal if they want to. No idea why the salary cap is even being questioned here as a reason they aren't.

dallasfan4lizife

Reaction score
Let him sit out the year then. As much as it worries me about not having Murray or Dez this year, it's not worth crippling the team moving forward with contracts to retain O-line, Crawford, Hardy, and quality depth.

lane

The Chairman
Reaction score
Let me ask you this. Can the Cowboys get in the post season with no Dez Bryant?

Yea..we have an offensive line from hell now.

Pretty sure we are going to have a defense from hell as well this year.

so yea...

there is no i in team and dez is becoming an i.

Status
Not open for further replies.