Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Will a fair offer get it done is my question?

The "fly in the ointment" is what is a "fair offer?"

You ask 10 people and you'll probably get several different answers.

In my view a "fair offer" would disregard the Megatron contract and make Dez the #2 paid WR in the game at about the rate he would merit from the franchise tag at about $12.8 mil per year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'll say this about the on the field aspect of this. If Bryant really does sit out, I don't believe we are the favorite anymore in the East. It would probaby be Philly. You can't tell me that this team is as good without both Murray and Bryant and depending on guys like Terrance Williams Beasley, Street, Farmer, Randle, Matthews, McFadden to carry them. That's a hodge podge of mediocrity right there.

But............ if for some reason the Cowboys were able to win and win a lot early, it would certainly erode a ton of the little leverage Bryant has.

I think depending on how much the defense improves Dallas could win if need be without Dez. That hodge podge is not devoid of talent, clearly not to the level of Dez but others seem to manage and win without Dez or WR of his caliber. If Cowboys can dominate on both OL and DL this team will win games and lot of them.

Sydla

Reaction score
I am not saying we can't win for sure. But even the biggest homer has to realize that we are a better team with Bryant than without. And there's often a slim margin in the NFL between being a playoff team or not.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I am not saying we can't win for sure. But even the biggest homer has to realize that we are a better team with Bryant than without. And there's often a slim margin in the NFL between being a playoff team or not.

I agree we are better with him than without him. However I do not think the season hinges on Dez. I still think games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage more so than at WR

conner01

Reaction score
I'll take Dez and take our chances of drafting an Offensive Lineman that won't be a huge drop off. Have we not shown that we can draft offensive lineman over the last few years. I like our chances of drafting replacement offensive lineman than drafting a replacement for Dez.

So we couldn't keep Murray and the offensive line. Now we can't keep Dez and the offensive line....hmm..so I guess we can only have rookie RB's and Rookie (or second tier) WR's due to the offensive line......
Nah...I'm not buying it. If we have money to franchise Dez and pay him 12.5 million per year for the next 2 years then obviously the salary cap isn't an issue and it's not about Dez OR the offensive line.

It's not about being able to keep a WR and the oline
It's about not being able to keep the highest paid WR in the game and keeping them
They have tried to sign dez, I want to keep dez
But if paying him the highest salary at his position in the game is the only option then I pass
And I suspect most of the rest of the league will too
The league has seen what the CJ deal has done to the lions
If dez insist on being the highest paid then he might as well get ready to play under the tag at least one year, maybe two
tge other top WR is not getting that money and I bet next year when the next group of top wr's hits the market they won't either
It's going to be several years before a WR gets a cj deal again
It is just not feasible to have that much of your cap space in one wr

Rogah

Reaction score
But even the biggest homer has to realize that we are a better team with Bryant than without.
That is not a statement that can be made in a vacuum. In order to determine whether or not we are better with him or without him, I need to know what he costs. Then I can judge for myself if we are better off with him spending the money on him or without him and spending the money elsewhere.

Sydla

Reaction score
That is not a statement that can be made in a vacuum. In order to determine whether or not we are better with him or without him, I need to know what he costs. Then I can judge for myself if we are better off with him spending the money on him or without him and spending the money elsewhere.

Well for this season, the cost doesn't really matter. You've already allotted cap space for him for 2015. And even if you recoup cap space for games he didnt play, it's not like you are spending it on another player this year. So the "cost", for this season, is non existent IMO.

maxdallasfan

Reaction score
Who are the Seahawks WR's? How about the Patriots?

How many rings does Megatron have?

Give me 5 killer DL and OL over 1 Dez any day of the week.

I refuse to watch this franchise become crippled once again by contracts. They are finally digging themselves out of this mess, and thankfully, Stephen Jones realizes it as well.

Dez was offered fair money, i'm sure. If he wants more, then he can get it elsewhere. I wish him luck.

Rogah

Reaction score
Well for this season, the cost doesn't really matter. You've already allotted cap space for him for 2015. And even if you recoup cap space for games he didnt play, it's not like you are spending it on another player this year. So the "cost", for this season, is non existent IMO.
I refuse to analyze the wisdom of Dallas' stance in this matter looking purely and solely at the 2015 season. So yeah, the overall total cost really does matter.

burmafrd

Reaction score

Look at the HOF WRs and look at how many rings they have. Does not exactly correlate. For every Irvin and Rice that have multiple rings there are more that at best have one and most had none.

You look at the last 20 SB winners- how many of them had HOF WRs?

Without Dez it will be tougher - but as has been pointed out look at Detroit and how Megatron's contract forced them to go cheap elsewhere and how far has that gotten the team?

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I agree we are better with him than without him. However I do not think the season hinges on Dez. I still think games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage more so than at WR

I think it depends on more if we can run the ball or not.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score

In my view a "fair offer" would disregard the Megatron contract and make Dez the #2 paid WR in the game at about the rate he would merit from the franchise tag at about $12.8 mil per year.

Considering Dez would be in line for a 20% raise if he is franchised again, wouldn't a fair offer be something closer to $14 million (the average of the two seasons)?

phildadon86

Reaction score

I refuse to watch this franchise become crippled once again by contracts. They are finally digging themselves out of this mess, and thankfully, Stephen Jones realizes it as well.

Dez was offered fair money, i'm sure. If he wants more, then he can get it elsewhere. I wish him luck.

Why do people keep naming these teams that have awesome defenses? We also dont have a qb like Brady or a coach like BB. We dont have a defense like Seattle. We dont have a RB like Lynch. Now you want to take out our biggest offensive weapon and see if we can win the superbowl? Wake up. We are not those teams, our entire philosphy is based on beating your man physically. Dez does that. Who else on our offense does? Yup, crickets.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True but looking at the avg pay of all the QB you don't see the big gap between Rodgers the highest paid and Rothlisburger the 2nd highest paid QB. At WR there is a pretty good size gap between CJ and the next highest paid WR.
Average pay is not as significant factoring supply and demand in economics. Teams agree the opportunity cost of paying a franchise quarterback is more beneficial than not allocating a sizeable portion of their salary cap for that purpose.

Likewise, all receivers are not equal in talent but there are more quality wide receivers than franchise quarterbacks. Ergo, the smaller the quantity (i.e. supply), the higher the demand. The same principle applies in reverse. The higher the quantity, the small the demand. Teams will allocate more salary cap dollars for franchise quarterbacks than every other position for these reasons.

EGTuna

Reaction score

This. Totally, totally, this.

I hope Dez stays, because I love watching him play, but you don't break the bank for a WR.

djmajestik

Reaction score
Romo is my favorite player of all time from this organization, but it's really obvious that when Dez steps on the field, he's the number 1 player on both sides of the field, usually. Even Tony would tell you that. Romo might be more important(in fact he is), but Dez is clearly the best player on this team)

Of all time?? WOW. How long have you been a fan?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Considering Dez would be in line for a 20% raise if he is franchised again, wouldn't a fair offer be something closer to $14 million (the average of the two seasons)?

It depends upon what value someone places on the stability of a long term contract as opposed to have to live with the tag for two seasons.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

Yeah I was figuring $14 mil per year.
Guarantee $$ ?? money and put this puppy to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.