Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

slick325

Reaction score
Which is a FANTASTIC reason to franchise him.

How'd you like to be $40 million in the hole for a receiver that can't play anymore?

Dez has had multiple injuries, and the one that is most troubling is his recurring back spasms. Receivers can't play with those, and they tend to NEVER get better.

Not referring to career ending injuries though erod. What about a player coming off a torn ACL or torn pec or tricep or tendon? Ownership would rightfully use that injury in negotiations.

As for the back spasms, they don't seem to be causing too much trouble with Dez just watching him play and seeing the numbers he puts up.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Not sure it's about having blown through his money. I think it has everything to do with potential injury occurring during your contract year. If that occurs, then the player will never again have a chance to see the big money they expect or desire.

:hammer:You hit the nail on the head. DEZ is protecting his future. STAY THIRSTY MY FRIEND :thumbup:

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
It's all about the Guaranteed money. 40 million Dollars worth of Guaranteed money, and i believe Dez would sign that right now. if it's true the cowboys have only offered 20 million in Guaranteed money. i don't blame Dez one bit for not signing it.

You still have to have APY

If you offered him an 8/40m deal fully guaranteed he wouldn't take it
If you offered him a 10/114m deal with 40m guaranteed he probably wouldn't take it

He wants 13m+ APY and 40m guaranteed

I would offer 7/91m with 26m guaranteed with an option bonus due in March 2017

cowboyvic

Reaction score
And I don't blame the Cowboys for protecting themselves with the franchise tag if he won't take less.

He could have $60 million in cash if he'd just play this right. If he hadn't blown through the first $11 million, maybe he'd look at things a bit differently.

I think we can all agree on one thing. the cowboys do not trust Dez . and they do not want a long term deal with him unless it's a deal with very few Guarantees.Dez is not going to go for that in my opinion. so why not just trade the man and try to get something good for him. there are teams out there like the Jags who would give them their first round pick.and they would pay Dez what he wants, and everybody can move on. if you can't and don't trust a man.get him off your team. pay the man or let him go.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Chris Mortensen just posted an article on ESPN that outlines the fact that Dez has a lot of leverage. July 15 is only a deadline for long term deals,... One year contracts are not precluded. Dez could potentially pull an Emmitt Smith and get a bigger one year deal AND make the Cowboys include language not to tag him next year.

What position would we be in if we started 0-2?

I know what position Dez would be in. He'd have a target on his back in the locker room and he'd be boo'ed everywhere he went in the Metroplex.

I guess he does have "leverage" if he doesn't mind being hated by everyone in the city he lives in, despised by all his teammates, and looking like a big ol' butt for future employers.

slomoxn

Reaction score
Does anyone remember the Green Bay receiver that held out because he wanted a long term deal, the fans of Green Bay ridiculed him, the media talked about it, Brett Favre got involved. He signed his franchise tender, then; if I'm correct blew his knee out in the first or second game of the season. I don't think he ever got the long term deal he would have had that not happened. So now people are mad at Dez for making sure he maximizes his earning potential while he can, well the Packers sure weren't willing to go back and say "ok you played on your tag and blew out your knee, we'll take care of you". So why should anyone playing put themselves in that position without going for broke. Everyone needs to let Dez handle Dez and if its such a non issue go tell your own boss you'll take a pay cut because you want to give the company a break.

slick325

Reaction score
I understand that you are dealing with a highly unlikely turn of events but honestly, I don't even see it as an "IF" because no team would ever do that. It's more like never happen. We don't know what the market would look like for either WR if they were unrestricted. We can hazard a guess but there is no info to support what they might be worth. However, the overriding factor here is that it would never happen. Jerry would have to fire himself as GM for incompetency were that ever to happen.

I still hope that a long term deal gets done for both players honestly. However, I see them both being on the market in 2017 so it isn't an "IF" ABQ. It will happen and "IF" they are still playing at a high level and barring injury...we will see how it plays out.

Cowboysfan1975

Reaction score
Chris Mortensen just posted an article on ESPN that outlines the fact that Dez has a lot of leverage. July 15 is only a deadline for long term deals,... One year contracts are not precluded. Dez could potentially pull an Emmitt Smith and get a bigger one year deal AND make the Cowboys include language not to tag him next year.

What position would we be in if we started 0-2?

The Cowboys would never go for that. Why would they? They would have to pay him more this year and then they would be in a situation where they lose any position of strength next off season. It would be pay what he wants or lose him. No way they do that!

slomoxn

Reaction score
I know what position Dez would be in. He'd have a target on his back in the locker room and he'd be boo'ed everywhere he went in the Metroplex.

I guess he does have "leverage" if he doesn't mind being hated by everyone in the city he lives in, despised by all his teammates, and looking like a big ol' butt for future employers.

The players still hang out with Ratliff...

dallasdave

Reaction score
Not referring to career ending injuries though erod. What about a player coming off a torn ACL or torn pec or tricep or tendon? Ownership would rightfully use that injury in negotiations.

As for the back spasms, they don't seem to be causing too much trouble with Dez just watching him play and seeing the numbers he puts up.

Right on, DEZ had a great year. As Rick Flair would say "to be the man you have to beat the man" and DEZ beat his man, his men, many times last year. So pay him like the man !!!! WHOO !!!!!!!!

slomoxn

Reaction score
I think we can all agree on one thing. the cowboys do not trust Dez . and they do not want a long term deal with him unless it's a deal with very few Guarantees.Dez is not going to go for that in my opinion. so why not just trade the man and try to get something good for him. there are teams out there like the Jags who would give them their first round pick.and they would pay Dez what he wants, and everybody can move on. if you can't and don't trust a man.get him off your team. pay the man or let him go.

This makes sense. I don't think Romo would like it but oh well, let him get his dough and we can take 3 years to groom another receiver, just in time for Romo to retire.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I still hope that a long term deal gets done for both players honestly. However, I see them both being on the market in 2017 so it isn't an "IF" ABQ. It will happen and "IF" they are still playing at a high level and barring injury...we will see how it plays out.

They might both be on the market and if that happens, Dez will be 28 instead of 26 and the cap numbers will have changed so the percentage could change but in this season, we will never know. AJ Green is playing out his contract this season and he will be an UFA next year I believe. He will be a better indicator but as of today, this year, we will never know.

BigD_95

Reaction score
I love Dez as much as anyone but I would not over pay for the guy. We have him locked for this year and next. Nothing he can do about it. Lets try and win this thing in the next 2 years and let him walk afterwards.

Or he can come to his senses and sign a reasonable offer. Ball is in Dez court as long as Dallas is making a decent offer.

sideon

Reaction score

About 90% of the fanbase seems to be siding with Dez and i highly doubt the locker room would turn against the heart & soul of the team, seems like you're grasping at straws here.

dallasdave

Reaction score
Steve get your dad's check book and make the deal now with DEZ, you know it's the right thing to do. Then you, your dad, cowboys fans, and the DALLAS COWBOYS can go on to win the Super Bowl this year and party like it's 1984.

cowboyvic

Reaction score
You still have to have APY

If you offered him an 8/40m deal fully guaranteed he wouldn't take it
If you offered him a 10/114m deal with 40m guaranteed he probably wouldn't take it

He wants 13m+ APY and 40m guaranteed

I would offer 7/91m with 26m guaranteed

Not enough money. 40 Guaranteed. 5 years 70 million is more like it.

gmoney112

Reaction score
About 90% of the fanbase seems to be siding with Dez and i highly doubt the locker room would turn against the heart & soul of the team, seems like you're grasping at straws here.

So if he sat out the first two regular season games and we ended up 0-2, you'd still be with Dez?

That's what I was talking about, and I have a feeling you'd be in the small minority in that case. And yeah, if his sitting out lead the 'team' to lose a few important games, he's not going to get any sympathy from those guys in the locker room, I can tell you that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
I like going to the gun range.

If I was getting offered $10 million to go shoot at the gun range for my "job"...there is NO WAY on EARTH I would whine about needing $15 million.

They arent doctors or lawyers...they arent saving lives or protecting property. They're playing a back yard sports game.

and what are the odds of you tearing an acl at the gun range? how about getting a concussion or any other life debilitating injury?

Status
Not open for further replies.