Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrPeanutbutter

What is this, a crossover episode?
Reaction score
I agree, this certainly is not in his best interest, but I just think it's dumb for others to say he should play for 13 mil and be happy. Ten years after his career is over, Jerry will still be a billionaire and the vast majority of fans will not care about him, especially if he isn't part of a SB winner. Get it while you can Dez and if you feel this helps (which I don't) then do what you must, because he'll have to live with this decision, none of us.

Agreed. It's such a balance. Get while the getting is good, but if you want to win, get a fair contract. You can lose for a lot more money elsewhere.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
The offer has gone from 10 million to 12.8 million per year. He wants more. He must be watching Ballers!

IF and if he gets this big contract - in 3 years we will be calling for his head.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I agree, this certainly is not in his best interest, but I just think it's dumb for others to say he should play for 13 mil and be happy. Ten years after his career is over, Jerry will still be a billionaire and the vast majority of fans will not care about him, especially if he isn't part of a SB winner. Get it while you can Dez and if you feel this helps (which I don't) then do what you must, because he'll have to live with this decision, none of us.

He's gonna get it. He just has to wait a little bit longer because of his immature decisions earlier in his life.

He is not the most trustworthy or well behaved individuals on the team. He brought this on himself.

But if gets tagged this year and next, you can add that 28m to the 25m he will get as a UFA in 2017. That is over 50m.

Just shut up and take yes for the answer to the question of 'will you be a very rich man by March 2017?'

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
So when I said this

not really, Soccer is certainly more popular world wide, but MLS isn't a world wide league and certainly doesn't generate the revenue that the NFL does.

and you said this

somehow they manage to have the top 3 spots in team value in soccer: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/mli45ejlgl/1-real-madrid-2/ yankees show up 4th

who are "they?"

Clearly you didn't read what I said or are trying really hard save face here

black label

Reaction score

shut_up_018-300x300.jpg

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
He's gonna get it. He just has to wait a little bit longer because of his immature decisions earlier in his life.

He is not the most trustworthy or well behaved individuals on the team. He brought this on himself.

But if gets tagged this year and next, you can add that 28m to the 25m he will get as a UFA in 2017. That is over 50m.

Just shut up and take yes for the answer to the question of 'will you be a very rich man by March 2017?'

And if he blows out his knee week 1, it will really decrease his value. Players have a very finite time to make money, if he believes that walking away from 13 million or less, depending on when he reports, will make him more, then why not sit out? He's not contractually obligated to play.

MrMavsMan

Reaction score
If Denver signs Thomas, we'll really find out what Dallas thinks of Dez.

I don't think they trust him and his entourage of sycophants off the field. Especially with $40+ million to throw around.

Sadly, Dez is probably one of those guys that will be broke when he's 38. (Allen Iverson and Antoine Walker poured through over $100 million and are broke now. Same for Scottie Pippen.)

Allen Iverson is not broke, yes he blew through a ton of money, but someone in his camp was looking out for him, he has a trust fund that is set up that has 32 million(its a reebok trust fund) for some reason everyone always thinks the dude is broke and it gives him 1 million per year, also when he turns 45 he gets an NBA pension for 8k per month. I would love to be considered broke and I get paid 1 mill a year still and soon be making 8 k a month to do nothing in pension. and where do you get that pippen is broke, forbes has his networth at 50 million dollars currently. If having a 30 million trust fund is the new broke, then sign me up!

phildadon86

Reaction score
ive only said soccer...the sport.

At the end of the day, soccer as a whole has much more money then football. Teams owners like Berlusconi, Al Khadafi, etc have billions of dollars to spend on players. Can you imagine if the NFL was like soccer where you buy players? Cowboys, Patriots, Commanders, would all have pro bowl teams haha

erod

Reaction score
Allen Iverson is not broke, yes he blew through a ton of money, but someone in his camp was looking out for him, he has a trust fund that is set up that has 32 million(its a reebok trust fund) for some reason everyone always thinks the dude is broke and it gives him 1 million per year, also when he turns 45 he gets an NBA pension for 8k per month. I would love to be considered broke and I get paid 1 mill a year still and soon be making 8 k a month to do nothing in pension. and where do you get that pippen is broke, forbes has his networth at 50 million dollars currently. If having a 30 million trust fund is the new broke, then sign me up!

I don't think he can touch the Reebok money until 2030. Still, he went through $150 million.

Dez won't see anywhere near that much money. I worry about him when football is over.

MrMavsMan

Reaction score
david beckham makes like $6.5 mil per year and plays in a more popular sport that rakes in more money...and he's the highest paid player.

man o man, you guys got to educate yourself....soccer is a much popular sport yes, but david beckham also made 42 million dollars in endorsments and was the 8th highest paid athelete in the world in 2013. Yes in the world in 2013, in 2014 he made 75 million dollars... he ranks 2nd in highest paid retired athletes only behind jordan still...he donated his entire salary to a childrens fund because he didn't give a .... about salary because he had so many endorsements. Dez isn't making that type of money to not care about a salary. When beckham took the 6 mill salary, he donated it all because he was getting paid 40 million that year in endorsements.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
And if he blows out his knee week 1, it will really decrease his value. Players have a very finite time to make money, if he believes that walking away from 13 million or less, depending on when he reports, will make him more, then why not sit out? He's not contractually obligated to play.

Guys get hurt all the time. It comes with the game.

Most of the league is playing without a safety net.

What if TFred blows out his knee?
Lee has no guaranteed money left and has only made 18m, poor guy.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Guys get hurt all the time. It comes with the game.

Most of the league is playing without a safety net.

What if TFred blows out his knee?
Lee has no guaranteed money left and has only made 18m, poor guy.

Both TFred and Lee are under contract

burmafrd

Reaction score
someone close to Dez needs to make him understand that sitting out over a difference of a few million a year is stupid. Apparently the boys are offering around 14.5 per year and Dez wants 18. He needs to get some perspective on things. That 3.5 million a year is NOT the most important thing in the world. Getting a signed contract guaranteeing him 40+ is what is important.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
someone close to Dez needs to make him understand that sitting out over a difference of a few million a year is stupid. Apparently the boys are offering around 14.5 per year and Dez wants 18. He needs to get some perspective on things. That 3.5 million a year is NOT the most important thing in the world. Getting a signed contract guaranteeing him 40+ is what is important.

The first 20m is always the hardest

alicetooljam

Reaction score
I can't help but to wonder if this was the Cowboys plan all along.
I thought it was strange to not use the franchise tag to lock Murray up for a year without having to commit to a huge guarantee over several years. I wondered why they didn't sign Dez to a long term deal and franchise Murray. I can't help but to think Dallas isn't really negotiating with any real intent to arrive at a long term deal with Dez. It really is looking like this was the plan all along.
Because the franchise tag for a running back was near 11 million...Cowboys were offering 6-7...

Status
Not open for further replies.