Dez himself says he'll miss time if no deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
if you're comparing the ability to shoot at a gun range, which let's be honest, won't fill a stadium, nor warrant b covered on TV to playing football, the you are the one with a dumb argument.

david beckham makes like $6.5 mil per year and plays in a more popular sport that rakes in more money...and he's the highest paid player.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
david beckham makes like $6.5 mil per year and plays in a more popular sport that rakes in more money...and he's the highest paid player.

Where are you getting this info from ? There are several players in MLS alone that make more than 6.5 million a year , not even mentioning the big guns in Europe like Ronaldo and messi .

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
Where are you getting this info from ? There are several players in MLS alone that make more than 6.5 million a year , not even mentioning the big guns in Europe like Ronaldo and messi .

David Beckham signed a contract in January 2007 to join the Los Angeles Galaxy of Major League Soccer. Adding the world’s most famous soccer player generated a massive amount of attention for the upstart league. His deal was widely reported to be for $250 million over five years. The reality is the $250 million was the potential earnings for Beckham from all sources on and off the field. His base salary was $6.5 million a year and he received a percentage of Galaxy revenue that brought the total to $50 million over the five years.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...eckham-departs-mls-after-earning-255-million/

$6.5 million base plus "bonuses"

phildadon86

Reaction score

David Beckham hasnt played soccer for awhile. But ok. When he went to the Galaxy it was for a 250 million dollar contract. Just saying

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

beckham retired in 2012-13 and realistically was not the best soccer player at that time or anytime close to that

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
And Dallas is under no obligation to pay him a single penny beyond the franchise tender (they're technically not currently even obligated for that, but I am assuming that they will not pull the offer sheet).

I have every faith that Bryant has already spent his 2015 salary, if not on paper then at least in his mind, and needs the money more than Dallas needs him.

you are absolutely right, neither party is obligated to do anything at this point, so if Dez believes that it's in his best interest to not play, then more power to him.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
David Beckham hasnt played soccer for awhile. But ok. When he went to the Galaxy it was for a 250 million dollar contract. Just saying

No it wasnt, from business insider since you didnt read it the first time "The reality is the $250 million was the potential earnings for Beckham from all sources on and off the field."...His contract was for $6.5 mil per/5 years...so $32.5 million.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yup. If we sign Dez to a dumb contract, we lose the ability to make fun of the Eagles having 3 high priced vets as RBs. It makes just about as much sense. If Dez can't see what we're building, and is just thinking about maximizing the amount of money he can get, then screw him. It won't be that hard to replace him.

It's easier to replace a WR then a QB.

65fastback2plus2

Reaction score
That's from 2007 bro. Ronaldo and messi make about 12+ million a year . Kaka , David Villa , pirlo are making around 9 million a year (in MLS). The reason why Beckhams base salary was low was because he was given bonuses from jersey sales and incentive to own a future franchise(Miami).

point being...BIGGER sport and #1 paid player...football players are very overpaid and im tired of their whining over it.

their contracts are weird anyhow because they include incentives, endorsements, etc.

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
point being...BIGGER sport and #1 paid player...football players are very overpaid and im tired of their whining over it.

their contracts are weird anyhow because they include incentives, endorsements, etc.

I agree with you but just looked it up Ronaldo gets paid 17 million a year . Messi around 18 million . So it's about even with the highest in our sport .

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score

not really, Soccer is certainly more popular world wide, but MLS isn't a world wide league and certainly doesn't generate the revenue that the NFL does.

Rogah

Reaction score
you are absolutely right, neither party is obligated to do anything at this point, so if Dez believes that it's in his best interest to not play, then more power to him.
Well that brings us full circle to my original point:

I have no problem with Dez Bryant treating this like a business and doing that which is in Dez Bryant's best interests. Thing is, playing a full 16 is in his best interest. No one will care or remember is he misses August, but missing actual games is a lose-lose situation. He will lose in the short term and he will lose in the long term. I am sure his agent is smart enough to inform him of that.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Well that brings us full circle to my original point:

I have no problem with Dez Bryant treating this like a business and doing that which is in Dez Bryant's best interests. Thing is, playing a full 16 is in his best interest. No one will care or remember is he misses August, but missing actual games is a lose-lose situation. He will lose in the short term and he will lose in the long term. I am sure his agent is smart enough to inform him of that.

I agree, this certainly is not in his best interest, but I just think it's dumb for others to say he should play for 13 mil and be happy. Ten years after his career is over, Jerry will still be a billionaire and the vast majority of fans will not care about him, especially if he isn't part of a SB winner. Get it while you can Dez and if you feel this helps (which I don't) then do what you must, because he'll have to live with this decision, none of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.