Dez Signs with Saints

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Obviously playing with Brees and a prolific passing offense is an exciting opportunity for Dez, but there are things to consider that could potentially work against him coming out smelling like a rose. First is he is not, and will not be, the #1 receiver, and will not be targeted as such.

He won't care if they're winning. Unlike the Cowboys, I'm sure the Saints have actually communicated to Dez what is expected and what will and will not be tolerated. He will be on his best behavior. He has nothing to complain about, and he won't.

Best Behavior Bryant is the guy that they're getting in New Orleans.

Second is the Saints are playing very well this year, and aren't likely to risk disrupting that by trying to force too much to a new guy.

Nobody's expecting that.

Finally, they have a lot of weapons, including solid RBs who also catch a lot of passes, and Brees has always been one to spread the ball around. The result of all this is there is a possibility Dez may not get the quantity of targets that could help set him up for a big opportunity and big payday next season.

He'll have to take solace in that shiny ring he's about to get. And in the process, he may in fact find a home in the Big Easy.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He won't care if they're winning. Unlike the Cowboys, I'm sure the Saints have actually communicated to Dez what is expected and what will and will not be tolerated. He will be on his best behavior. He has nothing to complain about, and he won't.

Nobody's expecting that.

He'll have to take solace in that shiny ring he's about to get. And in the process, he may in fact find a home in the Big Easy.

I don't disagree that he will be okay if they are winning, and he will likely keep his behavior in check, but when you talked about him coming out smelling like a rose I assumed you meant for more than just half a season. That said, if it does lead to a longer term deal in New Orleans, as you mentioned was possible, then he truly will come out smelling like a rose. Of course, that is dependent on him being willing to accept a contract that is not that of a #1 receiver, which he may be willing to do at this point.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't disagree that he will be okay if they are winning, and he will likely keep his behavior in check, but when you talked about him coming out smelling like a rose I assumed you meant for more than just half a season. That said, if it does lead to a longer term deal in New Orleans, as you mentioned was possible, then he truly will come out smelling like a rose. Of course, that is dependent on him being willing to accept a contract that is not that of a #1 receiver, which he may be willing to do at this point.

Yeah, that's about what I'm expecting on all counts.
:thumbup:

glimmerman

Reaction score
To create salary cap room for Bryant's contract, the Saints are expected to restructure OT Terron Armstead's 2018 salary. They will turn the rest of Armstead's $10.2 million base into a signing bonus,

erod

Reaction score
About to find out? Some of us have known for a while. I'm glad for Dez.

Dez deserved his ouster. He wasn't worth what he was making, and he flat out quit in the Seattle game last year. He was too much distraction for his pay.

But much of that was frustration from the lack of a legitimate quarterback that could use him. He was in Romo depression.

Now he has Brees. Uh oh.

He's going to go off in Dallas in a few weeks.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
To create salary cap room for Bryant's contract, the Saints are expected to restructure OT Terron Armstead's 2018 salary. They will turn the rest of Armstead's $10.2 million base into a signing bonus,

They must have no cap space at all because his contract isn't big.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
Nah it’s the fact he was used as a scapegoat is what most of us can’t stand.

The morons convinced themselves Dez was the problem when the problem was their golden boy coach and QB who can’t scheme or throw.

Then have a big parade for Witten as he leaves and send Dez out into the parking lot like he’s Quincy Carter.

I hope he destroys the Cowboys. He deserves it and so do they.

agree

uvaballa

Reaction score
Switched team or just followthe player, I followed Ware when he went to Denver, I didn’t follow Murray when he went to philly, I would have followed Romo if he went somewhere else, some of us have some favorite players that we want to see succeed even if they leave. Doesn’t mean I would root for their team over the Cowboys
Yeah and some fans have stated they want to see their favorite player on their new team beat the cowboys. Sound like fair weather fans to me.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Yeah and some fans have stated they want to see their favorite player on their new team beat the cowboys. Sound like fair weather fans to me.
Yup. I liked Murray and think the Cowboys offer was insulting to him. I didn't want him running wild on the Cowboys for revenge.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Obviously playing with Brees and a prolific passing offense is an exciting opportunity for Dez, but there are things to consider that could potentially work against him coming out smelling like a rose. First is he is not, and will not be, the #1 receiver, and will not be targeted as such. Second is the Saints are playing very well this year, and aren't likely to risk disrupting that by trying to force too much to a new guy. Finally, they have a lot of weapons, including solid RBs who also catch a lot of passes, and Brees has always been one to spread the ball around. The result of all this is there is a possibility Dez may not get the quantity of targets that could help set him up for a big opportunity and big payday next season.
All good points. We've seen on our own team issues when he didn't get targets. Now he's not the number one option, so it's reasonable to assume that potential will resurface.
I'm not saying Bryant will never accept a role playing position with limited opportunities. I just wouldn't bet on it.

uvaballa

Reaction score
Yup. I liked Murray and think the Cowboys offer was insulting to him. I didn't want him running wild on the Cowboys for revenge.
My favorite two players this last decade were Ware and Dez. I wished them well but I didn’t want them beating the Cowboys.

Fans think those guys “proving jerry wrong” will help him step aside. I think it’s the opposite because he’ll want to do something else to prove he’s been right more often than not.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
All good points. We've seen on our own team issues when he didn't get targets. Now he's not the number one option, so it's reasonable to assume that potential will resurface.
I'm not saying Bryant will never accept a role playing position with limited opportunities. I just wouldn't bet on it.
I am just interesting in seeing if Brees will be blamed if Dez drops the ball like Cassel, Moore and Dak were blamed.

Reactions: G2

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I am just interesting in seeing if Brees will be blamed if Dez drops the ball like Cassel, Moore and Dak were blamed.
The man is elite. If anyone is going to propel a WRs career up/forward it's a QB like him. My guess is that if Bryant underachieves there will simply be silence. There just is no way I can believe that this many fair weather fans will admit to being wrong. They're not even willing to admit that the deck is stacked against him. They think he's a pro bowler.
My gut says Brees will be in the clear. He's not Prescott.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
My favorite two players this last decade were Ware and Dez. I wished them well but I didn’t want them beating the Cowboys.

Fans think those guys “proving jerry wrong” will help him step aside. I think it’s the opposite because he’ll want to do something else to prove he’s been right more often than not.
I never understand when people talk like this because players aren't only released because the team feels they can't play. Good, and even very good players are released or allowed to leave teams every year because of financial reasons too, so it's actually can and does happen at times that a team lets a very good player leave and is right to do so. Budgets are part of the the NFL just like in any business. That's not to say the Cowboys thought Dez or Ware were still at their peak. Obviously they didn't, and realistically I don't think anyone felt that way when they left. But the financial element is a big part of it too.

InTheZone

Reaction score

Nobody's expecting that.

People act like Dez is some monster who was never good for anything.