Dez will have no choice as Stephen declares Check mate

GMO415

Reaction score
He won't take the pay cut and he'll play for the Rams who'll give him $16 Mill a year.

zerofill

Reaction score
Saw every game TWICE. Remember seeing on the now defunct Official Cowboys Fan Forum how you turned Benedict Arnold on Dak from his rookie year to the next. Sure he made some boneheaded throws last year, as did every QB in the league, but he was ranked #1 both in completion rate and passer rating for "tight window throws" among all starting QBs last year. The creators of Next Gen Stats, sponsored by the NFL, explain their 3 step process of how they determine a "tight window throw", which is without a doubt the hardest throw for any pro QB to make on a consistent basis, much less lead all starting QBs by season's end. Pretty sad to see Cowboys fans deny such league-leading results about their own QB.

Here, watch the tape again. Dak is for real.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/next-gen-...cott-was-the-best-tight-window-passer-in-2017

LOL you never saw me go Benedict Arnold on him... I wanted him benched when Romo was healthy. I thought they were stupid for not putting Romo back in, and I still think they were.

What it came down to was me saying I would give him a shot, because it was obvious Romo wasn't coming back. But, he didn't change from the first year. There were plenty of people that realized his Rookie season relied on teams not taking the checkdown passes away. He never progressed past that, and I don't blame it all on him...I blame it on the coaches and our scheme (lack there of) as well.

I feel he is a heck of a backup to have, a good person, etc... I just do not see him as a franchise QB. People compare him to Russell Wilson all the time. Well, I don't really have the patience to wait for him to be able to pass like Russell Wilson... took Wilson long enough as well.

I did say if he went to someone like Tom House over the off season, then it would be worth a second look. If he didn't go to anyone, call it a wrap.

My outlook on him never changed though...

Good kid, like him as a person, etc... Don't see him as a franchise QB.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whatever. Romo couldn't get this team anywhere and, most likely, neither will Dak.
Focus on the D. The O couldn't carry this team, even with an overly competent QB.

I bet if you cornered Jerry in a bar and asked him to name 5 defensive starters from the 1992 team, he couldn't do it. There is no cure for triplet fever.

zerofill

Reaction score
Maybe it is his 65% completion rate and he is not a dink and dunk guy

You are going by stats... you saw him miss some of the most ridiculously easy throws, just like everyone else... You saw him sail things, you saw his poor mechanics, skipping when throwing etc...

If he can fix those, so be it... don't see it happening.

I am for Dez leaving as well, because those 2 will never work well together. But, Dez will be fine with the right QB again.

The difference we have here is, Romo adjusted to Dez's strengths. That is what the QB does... the receiver doesn't adjust to the QB. That just isn't how it works.

You throw him in SF, GB, NE, etc... he is Dez again... Like I say in my Sig... Romo made Dez. The QB does make the receiver... He adjusts to the way his receiver plays.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
You are going by stats... you saw him miss some of the most ridiculously easy throws, just like everyone else... You saw him sail things, you saw his poor mechanics, skipping when throwing etc...

If he can fix those, so be it... don't see it happening.

I am for Dez leaving as well, because those 2 will never work well together. But, Dez will be fine with the right QB again.

The difference we have here is, Romo adjusted to Dez's strengths. That is what the QB does... the receiver doesn't adjust to the QB. That just isn't how it works.

You throw him in SF, GB, NE, etc... he is Dez again... Like I say in my Sig... Romo made Dez. The QB does make the receiver... He adjusts to the way his receiver plays.
So don't believe the numbers and the 22-10 record.......believe you

PASS

pansophy

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. It is Dak's fault that Dez drops catchable balls, can't run a route and lets DBs get in his head.

Come to think of it Dak is also responsible for Dez buying a monkey, needing a full time babysitter and melting down on the sidelines. Why haven't we realized this before now. Heads need to roll!!!
Dez's stats...
Year . Yards . TD
2012 1382 12
2013 1233 13
2014 1320 16
401 3
2016 796 8
2017 838 6

Take a wild guess which year Romo got injured during the 4th game of the year, only to start one more as a Cowboy? Unless of course you truly believe Dez got too old to play in 2015 its pretty obvious that our QBs haven't been able to get as much out of Dez as Romo did.

Even Dak's record breaking rookie year was fueled by throwing the ball between the hashes to Witten and Beasley. Once teams realized that Dak can't hit receivers along the sideline they doubled Beasley and/or Witten and covered all the 'IN' routes tightly. That basically explains our offensive woes last year.

If Dak can start hitting those outside downfield throws then everything starts to open up again in the middle -- we will want Dez for that kind of an offense -- but if we are just going to accept that Dak is never going to be able to hit those throws consistently then we probably need different kinds of WRs who can create separation inside.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dez's stats...
Year . Yards . TD
2012 1382 12
2013 1233 13
2014 1320 16
401 3
2016 796 8
2017 838 6

Take a wild guess which year Romo got injured during the 4th game of the year, only to start one more as a Cowboy? Unless of course you truly believe Dez got too old to play in 2015 its pretty obvious that our QBs haven't been able to get as much out of Dez as Romo did.

Even Dak's record breaking rookie year was fueled by throwing the ball between the hashes to Witten and Beasley. Once teams realized that Dak can't hit receivers along the sideline they doubled Beasley and/or Witten and covered all the 'IN' routes tightly. That basically explains our offensive woes last year.

If Dak can start hitting those outside downfield throws then everything starts to open up again in the middle -- we will want Dez for that kind of an offense -- but if we are just going to accept that Dak is never going to be able to hit those throws consistently then we probably need different kinds of WRs who can create separation inside.

It's not really just a coincidence that Dak had a fraction of the ints in his first year avoiding throwing it to Dez every down. The next year when the coaching staff encouraged him to throw it to Dez his INT ratio went downhill as well.

erod

Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. It is Dak's fault that Dez drops catchable balls, can't run a route and lets DBs get in his head.

Come to think of it Dak is also responsible for Dez buying a monkey, needing a full time babysitter and melting down on the sidelines. Why haven't we realized this before now. Heads need to roll!!!

So suddenly Dez forgot how to catch a football? I just don't buy it. Receivers get older and lose a step, but they don't catch the football worse than before.

Witten had more drops, too. So did Beasley. The entire receiving corps had a terrible year statistically.

When a QB is accurate and the receiver has a good idea where the ball will be when he breaks, the chance of a drop goes down. But when the receiver has to prepare for a ball to be in a much larger target arc, a throw right on the money can catch him off guard and uncharacteristically be dropped. I heard it explained that way, and it makes sense.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
So suddenly Dez forgot how to catch a football? I just don't buy it. Receivers get older and lose a step, but they don't catch the football worse than before.

Witten had more drops, too. So did Beasley. The entire receiving corps had a terrible year statistically.

When a QB is accurate and the receiver has a good idea where the ball will be when he breaks, the chance of a drop goes down. But when the receiver has to prepare for a ball to be in a much larger target arc, a throw right on the money can catch him off guard and uncharacteristically be dropped. I heard it explained that way, and it makes sense.

Beasley and Witten each had 1 drop. Receivers own their drops and there is no excuse other than it was their mistake. If you want to argue the QB sucks, that is fine. But a receiver owns their own mistakes.

And lacking focus because the ball is where it is supposed to be is the absolute worst reason. If that is the true reason, then he needs to be cut for that reason alone.

Last edited:

Verdict

Reaction score

I like you as a poster, and you bring a lot to this board, but I'm sorry I don't buy that a well thrown ball is more likely to be dropped because it is a well thrown ball.

Wood

Reaction score
IF we did cut him, I am sure without a doubt that the Rams would pick him up, pay him and then have him wreak havoc again on the NFL with a real QB. Is it really checkmate if we aren't getting better by cutting him, but instead making another team and more than likely and NFC team, better by adding him?

I think you hit the nail on the head. If Dak wasn't Dez QB, I don't think we are even having this discussion. You put Dez on GB, Philly, NE, Pitt or NO and he is a problem for Defenses. If Dez was the only WR to have a down year then I could understand the need to move on. But we saw ALL WRs have a down year. That tells me to look at the QB and question that.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
There are 20 teams with more than 12m in cap space. The Browns have 70m. The Texans have 30m. The idea that no one will have money to pay Dez is ridiculous.

This is seriously turning into a game of "let's see if the Cowboys are dumb enough to cut their #1 WR"...if we the media just keep telling them...he isn't a #1 WR any longer.

Obviously...the Jones are taking the bait...:laugh:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the much bigger issue, however, is his complete lack of chemistry with Dak. The two just don't match up with their skillsets.
That is exactly right. Dez needs a school yard QB like Romo. Dak is better running a system than improvising on the fly.