Dez will have no choice as Stephen declares Check mate

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
I like you as a poster, and you bring a lot to this board, but I'm sorry I don't buy that a well thrown ball is more likely to be dropped because it is a well thrown ball.
Hmm..I wonder if that’s why Crayton dropped the pass in 2007. Romo was throwing the ball like he was still hungover from his Cabo vacation and Crayton was just surprised the ball was on target.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head. If Dak wasn't Dez QB, I don't think we are even having this discussion. You put Dez on GB, Philly, NE, Pitt or NO and he is a problem for Defenses. If Dez was the only WR to have a down year then I could understand the need to move on. But we saw ALL WRs have a down year. That tells me to look at the QB and question that.

Been saying the bolded part for months, how could every single receiver on the team have a down year at the same time? Some of that can be on the offense itself and Linehan but alot of it also has to be on the QB

pansophy

Reaction score
They key is to recognize what we did not see last year. We almost never saw a WR 10-20 yards downfield moving towards the sideline catch a ball. How many catches can anyone recall where the WR had to make sure both feet stayed in bounds?

These are throws/catches that are made several times a game for most teams and yet we just don't throw those routes.

Dak's rookie year defenses were covering those routes and that opens up the inside for Beasley and Witten, and all the inside routes for WR's. Dak had a record breaking year.

In the offseason teams must have seen that Dak just doesn't make those throws. Those routes are among the potential big plays that defenses try to take away normally, which may be why it took an offseason for someone to want try something different.

So now what we see is double teams on Beasley, maybe Witten too, and then cover the inside WR routes very tightly. It leaves the outside more exposed, but since Dak doesn't, or can't, make those throws the plan works.

Lots of tight windows for everybody, nobody open, and Dak having to make plays other ways. It's really pretty simple.

So what I will be looking for during the preseason are sideline throws over 10 yards. If Dak improves that area of his game everything will open up again and our offense will look more like 2016 then 2017. If not, then I'm going to start to really worry about Dak as a long term answer.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
They key is to recognize what we did not see last year. We almost never saw a WR 10-20 yards downfield moving towards the sideline catch a ball. How many catches can anyone recall where the WR had to make sure both feet stayed in bounds?

These are throws/catches that are made several times a game for most teams and yet we just don't throw those routes.

Dak's rookie year defenses were covering those routes and that opens up the inside for Beasley and Witten, and all the inside routes for WR's. Dak had a record breaking year.

In the offseason teams must have seen that Dak just doesn't make those throws. Those routes are among the potential big plays that defenses try to take away normally, which may be why it took an offseason for someone to want try something different.

So now what we see is double teams on Beasley, maybe Witten too, and then cover the inside WR routes very tightly. It leaves the outside more exposed, but since Dak doesn't, or can't, make those throws the plan works.

Lots of tight windows for everybody, nobody open, and Dak having to make plays other ways. It's really pretty simple.

So what I will be looking for during the preseason are sideline throws over 10 yards. If Dak improves that area of his game everything will open up again and our offense will look more like 2016 then 2017. If not, then I'm going to start to really worry about Dak as a long term answer.

I don't think you will see any of that this season (or at least not very much of it), it looks more like they are going to go with alot of 4 WR sets and alot of the short passing game with Dak along with a little more running from Dak, i personally don't see that working for the entire season i think it may work early but then teams will adjust to it, i also don't see how Zeke will thrive in this kind of offense. I hope i'm wrong and it works, but i don't see it

Proof

Reaction score
It's not really just a coincidence that Dak had a fraction of the ints in his first year avoiding throwing it to Dez every down. The next year when the coaching staff encouraged him to throw it to Dez his INT ratio went downhill as well.

throwing 4 int's wasn't going to happen again no matter what he did. that's just a regression to the mean.

erod

Reaction score
That is exactly right. Dez needs a school yard QB like Romo. Dak is better running a system than improvising on the fly.

Actually, Dak is better in a schoolyard type of offense. He's good when he can get outside the pocket, and pretty bad at throwing from within it.

Dez needs a quarterback who can throw accurately when he's tightly covered. Dez can compete for the ball as well as any receiver in the game, so if you put the ball off his back shoulder or up high, he'll win that battle consistently. Dak wants Dez to be running away from the defender, which isn't Dez.

erod

Reaction score
Yeah the defense sucked. Same reason Romo couldn’t win for a decade with the offense averaging 19 points in the big games, right?

That wasn't the only reason for Romo. His defense sucked, as did his offensive line and running game for years. Third-and-one was impossible most of those years on the ground.

That 2014 season perfectly showed Romo's ability. He was brilliant that year, and that throw to Dez in Green Bay was perfect and ballsy on 4th down with the game on the line. He went into Seattle and shut up the most difficult stadium to play in this league has. They had a complete offense finally.

erod

Reaction score
Hmm..I wonder if that’s why Crayton dropped the pass in 2007. Romo was throwing the ball like he was still hungover from his Cabo vacation and Crayton was just surprised the ball was on target.

Crayton dropped a touchdown. Then Romo threw another perfect ball to him in the corner of the end zone, and he just quit on the route.

Crayton is traitor scum. He badmouths Romo, even though Romo MADE Patrick Crayton. Romo got him paid, then he went to San Diego and turned in to what he really was the whole time.

GroundZero1970

Reaction score
I think last year for our offense it was the perfect storm...Zeke was suspended, injuries to our oline and Daks second year all contributed. It was no one thing but all those things together made it a rough season....

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
Crayton dropped a touchdown. Then Romo threw another perfect ball to him in the corner of the end zone, and he just quit on the route.

Crayton is traitor scum. He badmouths Romo, even though Romo MADE Patrick Crayton. Romo got him paid, then he went to San Diego and turned in to what he really was the whole time.

He dropped a 3rd down conversion which he would have had YAC. Dez has dropped touchdowns, 3rd down attemps, and a season ending 4th down attempt.

erod

Reaction score
He dropped a 3rd down conversion which he would have had YAC. Dez has dropped touchdowns, 3rd down attemps, and a season ending 4th down attempt.
The entire flow of that play was going to the right except for Crayton. His man was beaten badly. It was a clear path.

Dez does have his issues. Not arguing that.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
The entire flow of that play was going to the right except for Crayton. His man was beaten badly. It was a clear path.

Dez does have his issues. Not arguing that.

And I blame Crayton for dropping that pass, like I blame Dez for his. But what's good for the goose if good for the gander. If the QB throwing the ball all over the field is a good reason for dropping the ball then Crayton should get the same consistent excuse. Tony was awful that game, even badly missing a wide open Terrell Owens in the red zone for what should have been a TD to put us up 21-14 in the 3rd quarter.

erod

Reaction score
And I blame Crayton for dropping that pass, like I blame Dez for his. But what's good for the goose if good for the gander. If the QB throwing the ball all over the field is a good reason for dropping the ball then Crayton should get the same consistent excuse. Tony was awful that game, even badly missing a wide open Terrell Owens in the red zone for what should have been a TD to put us up 21-14 in the 3rd quarter.

Last season, the entire team was dropping balls. Witten, Beasley, Williams, and Dez. It was just a horrible offense.

The Cowboys got DRILLED last year in 4 games. Just pummeled. Not even competitive. Denver, Atlanta, Philly, and LA Chargers.

They had 4 games they didn't even score a touchdown.

The had 4 games they couldn't even manage 10 points.

Good offensive teams have one game like that, if that.

This offense was supposed to be one of, if not the, best in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
That pass was on Crayton's hip. Catching a pass behind you on a crossing route is very difficult. Yes, he should've caught it, but the throw also should have been better. It was on both.