Dianna Russini: Dak contract talks with Cowboys "going really well"

plymkr

Reaction score
It is only about the total amount guaranteed on a third contract. I’d guess around $200 million Gets it done.
Exactly. This is my concern. So right now we have 40 million on the salary cap credit card for Dak. If he signed (and I’m being generous here) a 5 year deal for who care APY but he gets 200 million in guaranteed. So now he’s under contract for 2024-2029 with 240 million on the salary cap credit card. That’s 42 million per year on the salary cap credit card. If during the life of the contract void years are added to free up space with further bonuses then that 42 million jumps to a higher number. If Dak does not complete the length of the contract then we may be looking at 60-80 million cap hit if he retires.

On the field I have concerns about Dak in the playoffs. Off the field is what I am thinking right now. If Dak resigns for much cheaper then I’d be cool with it. My biggest concern with Dak resigning is how much signing bonus he would get coordinating with the length of the deal. Because like I said in another post, Dak is not immortal. He will retire someday and if he signed a 5 year deal with 200 guaranteed and he retires in 3 years then we’re in trouble. Ala what happened with Aikman. What I don’t want is in 4 years being at this exact place with Dak leaving for sure but instead of 40 million dead cap we have 60-100 million dead cap space. I don’t care how much the salary cap grows between then and now, that much dead cap space would push the rebuild back several years. Now if I felt we had a legit chance at winning it all with paying Dak I’d be all in. I’d be driving to Dallas to advocate for it, but the recent playoff losses don’t fill me with confidence and the salary cap credit card of 50-100 million scares me.

P.S. I have the same concerns with signing Micah to a mega deal. With Micah it’s more of a maturity issue and he disappeared in the playoffs and against good teams. You can’t pay prime time money without getting prime time results. JMO

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I fear that Prestrash just might take less even 50 million a year to remain a Cowboy.
From then on things will get nasty down at A&TT stadium as fans will boo him and the garbage raining down will become a common occurrence.
In the end, this player's only accomplishment is to split the fan base to its core and drop America's team from the rim to the bottom of the toilet bowl.

Nav22

Reaction score
I fear that Prestrash just might take less even 50 million a year to remain a Cowboy.
From then on things will get nasty down at A&TT stadium as fans will boo him and the garbage raining down will become a common occurrence.
In the end, this player's only accomplishment is to split the fan base to its core and drop America's team from the rim to the bottom of the toilet bowl.
Hahahahahahahaahahah

Dude, seek help
:laugh:

Yobwocs

Reaction score
I wouldn't bet on it

People are only upset with him in one week (or one game) in January. Not enough time to rally a collective brigade against him as you're suggesting.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I wouldn't bet on it

People are only upset with him in one week (or one game) in January. Not enough time to rally a collective brigade against him as you're suggesting.
You have no conception of how Dak has lost a huge part of the fan base.
Yes as a Dakdavidian you live in a fantasy world where Dak is a HOF QB.
If he remains you will very quickly discover that reality has a way of coming home and for Dak trust me on this it will be a nightmare.
Fans are done with his choke jobs and the above video is just a taste of what the future will bring at home games for us.

plymkr

Reaction score
I feel if he took less than 50 then the fans would be far more forgiving at AT&T stadium if he had a bad game. That would be him taking a team friendly deal, personally I’d like to see more of a team friendly deal like 30-40 if he’s resigned. But if he took a team friendly deal for under 50 then I don’t think it would get nasty. Now I can see if he took 60-65 and played bad then it could get nasty. Regardless of whatever Dak makes I feel anyone that throws anything at him or assaults him physically in any manner should be banned from home games and arrested on the spot. That is completely unacceptable IMO. Any fan that throws something is not a real fan and frankly is a sick person.

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel if he took less than 50 then the fans would be far more forgiving at AT&T stadium if he had a bad game. That would be him taking a team friendly deal, personally I’d like to see more of a team friendly deal like 30-40 if he’s resigned. But if he took a team friendly deal for under 50 then I don’t think it would get nasty. Now I can see if he took 60-65 and played bad then it could get nasty. Regardless of whatever Dak makes I feel anyone that throws anything at him or assaults him physically in any manner should be banned from home games and arrested on the spot. That is completely unacceptable IMO. Any fan that throws something is not a real fan and frankly is a sick person.
Will it matter if he takes 20 million?
He has proven no matter how much talent you put around him he can't get the job done.
Fans after 30 years of hunger are at the red line and another 3-4 years of Prestrash will blow the house down.
Yes, agreed fans should not throw garbage at any player but the boos are their entitlement as they have paid the price of admission.

plymkr

Reaction score
Will it matter if he takes 20 million?
He has proven no matter how much talent you put around him he can't get the job done.
Fans after 30 years of hunger are at the red line and another 3-4 years of Prestrash will blow the house down.
Yes, agreed fans should not throw garbage at any player but the boos are their entitlement as they have paid the price of admission.
Booing is okay. Throwing things definitely not okay. I think with some of the things Dak has said during this offseason may draw more Boos than normal. I think if he restructured this years deal and took a pay cut to 20 million and then the next 3 years he was signed for 20 million then I think the fans the fans would show a lot of grace if he plays bad, regifted what he said in the offseason. Now if he took 65 million and played bad with the things he said in the offseason then he would be booed a ton even if they win. I think the fans would be relentless is he threw a pick or lost a game.

But again I am cool with booing but not assault or throwing things. I don’t care how much you pay to get in you can’t assault someone. That goes for the idiots that assault other team’s fans at games.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
All three play for money. If they’re as tight as you’re suggesting they would respect each others’ decisions on where to sign and for how much. Don’t try to romanticize it to equate it to fans’ perspective. No matter who is the Cowboys’ quarterback, CeeDee still gets his money. All three are contract workers. They are not “tied at the hip”.

Professional football players certainly see the Dallas Cowboys the same way they see the other 31 teams. They are a means to an end. The team is not the end, money is.
Check out what CeeDee said yesterday to the media once he signed his new contract. CeeDee makes it clear he plays this sport at the professional level because of how much he loves playing football. Of course, making money is part of the business part of the game, but CeeDee made it clear he wouldn't be doing this if he truly didn't love the game of football so much.

Yobwocs

Reaction score

You do know we proceeded to win 16 straight home games right after that ....right?

The majority were with Dak under center. They haven't had anything to boo about for 2 years until that disaster Packers game. Bad time to have the worst game in 2 years, but it is simply fact and reality that the fans did not boo for 2 whole years. What can you really say to refute that recent history doesn't support your hysterical predictions of the future?

You think everyone shares in your misery but.... they don't.

Jipper

Reaction score
But, you'll still be watching...
Not like I used to, but in fairness that's not bc of dak but rather bc of the cowboys mediocrity in general.

I used to watch every second of every game religiously...I always had Sunday ticket and those 3 hours every week were non-negotiable.

I find myself now forgoing sunday ticket, know I'll miss at least 3 to 5 games due to kids baseball games and swim meets, and I'm not overly concerned about it.

Regardless of whether the cowboys were 20x superbowl winners in a row, what they are now or something far worse, I would put my kids sports ahead...however I would be more concerned finding a way to watch remotely, I just don't care enough anymore

PAPPYDOG

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You do know we proceeded to win 16 straight home games right after that ....right?

The majority were with Dak under center. They haven't had anything to boo about for 2 years until that disaster Packers game. Bad time to have the worst game in 2 years, but it is simply fact and reality that the fans did not boo for 2 whole years. What can you really say to refute that recent history doesn't support your hysterical predictions of the future?

You think everyone shares in your misery but.... they don't.
Here's a taste of our top 5 QB results the last 15 times where the Dallas Cowboys played an 11+ win team in an open-air stadium (regular season + playoffs) when they played their starters, Dallas is 0-15

The last 15 times where the Dallas Cowboys played an 11+ win team in an open-air stadium (regular season + playoffs) when they played their starters, Dallas is 0-15

GIVE DAK THE DOG TEAMS AT HOME AND YA BABY HE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2023 Miami 20-22

2023 Buffalo 10-31

2023 Philadelphia 23-28

2023 San Francisco 10-42

2022 Philadelphia 17-26

2022 Jacksonville 34-40

2022 San Francisco 12-19 (playoff game)

2021 Tampa Bay 29-31

2021 Kansas City 9-19

2021 San Francisco 17-23

2020 Seattle 31-38

2020 Baltimore 17-34

2018 Rams 22-30 (playoff game)

2016 Giants 7-10

2016 Green Bay 31-34 (playoff game)

Brooksey

Reaction score
this gets done before the season starts.

Somewhere between 53 and 55 mill a year.

Contract length isn't going to be an issue this time around -- Dak wanted a four year to hit the market at 31 for a 3rd contract. A five year deal is really more of a three-year deal when it boils down to it.
He wants north of 60M, if it was 54M the deal would have been done.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dianna is the NY version of Jane Slater. A hot number that is really a great reporter.
Idk hard to compare anyone to Jane.

Janes Twitter is all sports. Janes IG is all exotic vacations. You follow both and you desperately want Janes life. She is kind of her own thing

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Here's a taste of our top 5 QB results the last 15 times where the Dallas Cowboys played an 11+ win team in an open-air stadium (regular season + playoffs) when they played their starters, Dallas is 0-15

The last 15 times where the Dallas Cowboys played an 11+ win team in an open-air stadium (regular season + playoffs) when they played their starters, Dallas is 0-15

GIVE DAK THE DOG TEAMS AT HOME AND YA BABY HE IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2023 Miami 20-22

2023 Buffalo 10-31

2023 Philadelphia 23-28

2023 San Francisco 10-42

2022 Philadelphia 17-26

2022 Jacksonville 34-40

2022 San Francisco 12-19 (playoff game)

2021 Tampa Bay 29-31

2021 Kansas City 9-19

2021 San Francisco 17-23

2020 Seattle 31-38

2020 Baltimore 17-34

2018 Rams 22-30 (playoff game)

2016 Giants 7-10

2016 Green Bay 31-34 (playoff game)

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Somebody check on Mountaineer. I like the guy but he's been riding this dak is gone wave hard...he might have a heart attack
Nothing against the dude, but you are right, he has been on this "Dak is gone" wave for so long, literally stating it as a fact, that he is going to be a laughing stock if Dak actually gets a new deal.

Dude is either going to have to go into hiding or get the mods to change his username, he is going to be mocked to eternity if he ends up being wrong.