Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I'm proud of Cooper Rush for hanging in there and just being aggressive even though he was making mistake after mistake today. The guy gutted it out and he deserves credit. Having said that, he's a third string QB in this league.

Red Dragon

Reaction score
I'm glad Rush won, but let's be honest, he got lucky. If this were a Madden simulation, he would have probably lost this game 7 out of 10 times.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Cooper Rush deserves all due thanks for winning his 1st game vs. a tough opponent.

But merely one win seems insufficient to cement his guaranteed future indefinitely! o_O

Last edited:

TheCoolFan

Reaction score
Yes...for the money, I don't think you are going to find a better option in the future. And that's the important thing people have to understand - now that Dak has a big contract, this team will not be spending much at the backup QB position. Nick Foles winning a Super Bowl for the Eagles has resulted in people having unrealistic expectations for their team's own backup QB. And the Eagles could only afford to have a QB like Foles in 2017 because Wentz did not get his big contract yet.

As a backup QB, if you start one game, you hope you can win it. If you have to start multiple games, you hope for close to a split. If your backup has to play a ton of games then your season is probably headed in the wrong direction anyway.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
But it’s a really big ask to want our defense to play that good.

Dude... The defense has been not just asking, but commanding our offense to carry them for over a decade now. God forbid we have a defense that can play average to really good on occasion as to not keep creating a hole for our offense. Also, let's not pretend like that was the 18' Chiefs out there facing our defense.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Absolutely not lol.

That was a circus and we need a better backup.

Had they gotten a 2 score lead that game is over.
I agree he has a weak ** arm his throws looked like he was throwing into gale force winds

jrumann59

Reaction score
Dude... The defense has been not just asking, but commanding our offense to carry them for over a decade now. God forbid we have a defense that can play average to really good on occasion as to not keep creating a hole for our offense.
Some of that was our defense but Minny is a dink and dunk team so it seems. When they showed the QB stats late in the game I couldn't believe them. Cousins was averaging 6 yards a completion.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Excuse me, if I appear ungrateful of Cooper Rush's performance but the Vikings played poorly enough in the second half to signify being average. No team should be required to cement any indefinite guarantee of a backup QBs future job with just one win under his belt. He was very fortunate to win that game as he did. More convincing proof should be required, with the millions of dollars that might be involved in future contracts. His talent is somewhat limited by an arm that isn't especially typical of NFL QB-type talent.

Last edited:

NumOneQB

Reaction score
Defense and an inept Kirk Cousins kept the Cowboys within striking distance. Cooper is barely a 3rd string QB, imo. He made some decent throws when it counted, tonight. I’ll give him that. Let him enjoy his moment in the sun….

plasticman

Reaction score
Cement himself as the backup?

As soon as his contract is up, he's gone! Unrestricted free agent. Good luck to him except when playing the Cowboys.

And that's the way it should be. Any quarterback that is satisfied to be a backup is a quarterback I don't want on my team.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
If you want a noodle arm back up…sure

dude threw ducks all game and our defense bailed him out 10 times

ProArmchairQB

Reaction score
No. In fact I felt worse than I did before the game. Major accuracy and decision issues.

You are delusional. How many other QBs has Cooper Rush beat out in his stints with the Cowboys? I'll give you a hint, it wasn't one, two or three. You'd still find a reason to whine with Aaron Rodgers as the #2 and Tom Brady as the #3.

zeke21

Reaction score
urghh I hope not. Got to be one of the worst back ups in the league. Was very happy we got the win.. but it more showed how dominate our offence is and how good our defence is going.

Rush gives me zero confidence in his arm.. and it shows how misleading 'stats' can be. Absolute noodle arm and inaccurate to boot.

Would not want to rely on him often.. I'd be looking to upgrade ASAP. Dak had the big issue last year, the shoulder in preseason and now the calf.. can't expect him to be healthy every game like he did for the first four years. I don't want to see us waste a great squad because Dak picks up a 2-3 week niggle and we are forced to play Rush.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah.... I am not sure I would put strong in that sentence. Contrary to that as a matter of fact. He didn't totally faulter but he hit his limit and it was fustrating and dismal multiple times.

Appreciate the defenses effort to keep the game in check at a level we could still win so....

T-RO

Reaction score
I'm glad Rush won, but let's be honest, he got lucky. If this were a Madden simulation, he would have probably lost this game 7 out of 10 times.

What!?! We had twice the yardage the Vikings had.

We were screwed over with absurd penalties and ended up with 300% more penalty yardage. Overcame that. We also overcame a stupid special teams offside that was essentially a turnover. We controlled the ball, and had twice as many yards.

You clearly weren't watching the same game as the rest of us. Your sims...or notion of simulations needs more RAM and a reboot.

sjmike

Reaction score
Looked pretty damn good to me. He's our backup for the rest of this season for sure. He won a game, on the road, against a quality opponent. He knows the system. He's our backup. You people kill me

mmohican29

Reaction score
I felt Rush got better as the game went on, but if he completes a few easy passes early, this game isn't close.

The roll out pass he throw at Schultz's feet really stands out. Horrible.

That said. When he started trusting his WR's to make plays and not thinking so much- he looked competent and threw some beautiful passes in crunch time. The Cooper TD to win it was perfect.