Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

shabazz

Reaction score
We did last year, look where that got us (ok, we had Nolan and other injuries). Again the stark reality is that we aren't going far in the play-offs without Dak and we just don't have the CAP space for a marked upgrade.

We were told here that paying Dak 40 million a year would leave plenty of cap space for a quality backup.

Ive read it here many times, yet Cooper Rush is the best we can apparently afford.....Championship

Verdict

Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if I am watching the same game as some of you. If you look at the “W” Cooper Rush appears adequate. If you look at his actual play during the game, I see:

1. Poor decision making
2. Noodle arm
3. Luck that he didn’t have multiple INTs
4. A few decent plays mixed into what is mostly inept play.

I am as happy as anyone here at the W. I’m going to enjoy it as much as if Dak had won that game. But Cooper Rush sucks.

We need much better play from a backup QB. Maybe Rush can continue to improve. Maybe Grier overtakes Rush. Maybe we pick up someone off the scrap heap that can play. IDK.

The Vikings looked pretty inept last night. That’s pretty odd considering all the talent the Vikings have on their side of the field. You would have thought that the Vikings were being coached by Jason Garrett last night.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?
I think he has earned the position, winning on the road against a good, talented team in a hostile environment, speaks volumes.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Cooper Rush is a bit more than a serviceable sideline qb veteran who came through in the clutch.

Despite having a Kellen Moore arm but with some of his brains Cooper, not a pooper, sealed the deal.

terra

Reaction score
When you pay your starter $40 million you cannot afford a quality backup. So you go with young guys who no one thinks much of and hope for the best.
That is the way it is in todays NFL.

CowboysRule

Reaction score
I don't think some of you really realize what most back-up QB's look like in the NFL. Yeah, we've been lucky. Romo was a backup. Dak was a backup. Most backups are asked to not lose games and that's what Rush did. No one is saying he should be the starter. If he looked like he could start, he would probably go somewhere else for a boatload of money and start. You don't pay backups a huge amount unless you think they are a future starter. The guy did pass for over 300 yards and 2 TD's and seemed to get better as the game went on. Is he a starter? No. Did he look serviceable? Yeah.

jrumann59

Reaction score
The Cooper Scooper saved his butt when he threw it directly to the other teams player and bounced off his chest, I had to scratch my head a few time wondering where Rush was throwing the ball. If it wasn't for that last second magical squeak by Zeke, the game would also be lost.
Rush's lack of arm strength was apparent, he just has little to know velocity on his throws, I thought Kosar threw a soft ball Rush throws a pillow.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Rush showed complete control of this offense. Cowboys trusted Rush enough based on what they saw during camp to go with him as backup, how fans feel about him makes no difference. When you put Rush in a pre season game with players who are 3rd string and will not be on the team, he is not going to look very good. But you put top players out there who know how to run routs and make plays, Rush showed he can get the ball to them and make plays. In pressure situation Rush stood in there and got the job done.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?

I think it prevents us from making a move for a backup before the trade deadline.

Beyond 2021 he's a free agent and games like that give QB needy teams visions of sugar plums, lol. But its now his job to lose.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Backup QBs are backups for a reason. Even veteran backups have warts, which is why they aren’t starters. Rush still has limitations. A good team should always be looking to upgrade, and I’m sure we will be looking at QBs in the draft, etc, but Rush did enough as a backup QB with two average to worse OTs last night that now the Cowboys are satisfied for this year.

He knows the offense, he distributed the ball, he took what was there, evidenced by the pass to Zeke, allowing Zeke to make the play for first down instead of forcing the throw to a guy who was past the first down marker. Rush will now be better in the future simply because he’s done it and gained invaluable experience and confidence. A vet backup who doesn’t know our offense or our receivers is not better than what we have, even if more talented.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Backup QBs are backups for a reason. Even veteran backups have warts, which is why they aren’t starters. Rush still has limitations. A good team should always be looking to upgrade, and I’m sure we will be looking at QBs in the draft, etc, but Rush did enough as a backup QB with two average to worse OTs last night that now the Cowboys are satisfied for this year.

He knows the offense, he distributed the ball, he took what was there, evidenced by the pass to Zeke, allowing Zeke to make the play for first down instead of forcing the throw to a guy who was past the first down marker. Rush will now be better in the future simply because he’s done it and gained invaluable experience and confidence. A vet backup who doesn’t know our offense or our receivers is not better than what we have, even if more talented.

True and this was his 1st ever start in the NFL. He made some mistakes but he made a lot of good plays through out the game. Including some critical 3rd down plays

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Dude... The defense has been not just asking, but commanding our offense to carry them for over a decade now. God forbid we have a defense that can play average to really good on occasion as to not keep creating a hole for our offense. Also, let's not pretend like that was the 18' Chiefs out there facing our defense.

Why does that matter now?

Shane612

Reaction score
Absolutely not lol.

That was a circus and we need a better backup.

Had they gotten a 2 score lead that game is over.
In a QB hungry league like the NFL, Rush will play somewhere else next year. Some GM will take a chance on him.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Think so. I think if he would have sucked last night, we would be trading for Andy before Tuesday. Now I think they stand pat.

That's the problem with this organization. Last night should not one mind in management concerning Rush. Fans are so oooh wheeee shiny object.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
In a QB hungry league like the NFL, Rush will play somewhere else next year. Some GM will take a chance on him.

Oh he is a made man now. He’ll be in the league 5 more years at least based on that 1 game.

He clearly knows and understands our offense but he can’t generate points very well even in the most optimal environment possible.

Shane612

Reaction score
Rush, had a decent game last night, but make no mistake; this was a all around team effort.
Aren't they all a team effort games?
It looked to me he played better as the game went on.
That's what you want to see in any player.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I think Rush was good enough to win, but not good enough that we need to worry about him being poached. He did his job a bit better than I expected, but the rest of the team stepped up to take some of the burden off him. He showed flashes of absolutely great ability, throwing some perfect dimes, but also showed signs of confusion and lack of pocket awareness. He'll finish the year as the #2 QB, but we do need an upgrade in the off season. Someone with a higher ceiling is needed in case of a long term injury.

Shane612

Reaction score
Oh he is a made man now. He’ll be in the league 5 more years at least based on that 1 game.

He clearly knows and understands our offense but he can’t generate points very well even in the most optimal environment possible.
So, why would you not want to hang on to him?
He knows the offense, and he proved he can help you win a game in a pinch.
Question now is which other teams wants him, not as a backup, but maybe as a starter.