Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

8FOR!3

Reaction score
He looked like an old school backup QB ........ people are too spoiled and want starters as backups.

Exactly, this. If Cooper Rush had a better arm/was more athletic, he'd be an NFL starter. Guy was very poised for his first career start. Maybe Will Grier has a little more upside and will continue to develop and be the backup after this season, but Cooper Rush absolutely earned the backup job for another day.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Never in the past have I been impressed with Cooper Rush, and was never a fan of his being resigned to this team this year. I was only able to watch first half of the game yesterday and I was not impressed again with his play as I figured we were sure to lose.
Was able to watch the second half today, and thought him to settle down and actually played decent 2nd half. Now there is nowhere even close to a qb controversy, but he deserves a backup role for now.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Unfortunately the answer to the headline is probably yes because we won the game.

Grier has more talent and I would have liked to have seen him at some point last night....but I'll trust that the staff knows better than I do.

Nice to feel that way for the first time since Parcells.

I'm just hoping we see no one other than #4 under center until mini camp.

khiladi

Reaction score
Rush is mediocre and in his first start, he threw for over 300 yards, converted like 6 of 8 third down conversions the first quarter and half and got the ball to Amari 8 times for over 100 plus yards and a TD and won on a game winning drive behind this talent that surrounds him.

This basically shows any good QB can win with this talent…. The issue is, how open is the SB window with this roster, considering Tyron Smith is in his 13th year and Martin is in year 7 that a quality backup is relevant, if the starter, who hasn’t shown he can carry anything without exceptional talent around him, goes down again.

The impact of Smith being lost during the game showed immediately as far as game planning is concerned…. That’s when the issues on third down apparently started..

Last edited:

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am a cowboy fan i am never satisfied and feel like they should trade him before they fly back.
He stinks and we'll be able to trade him...LOL...you silly guys.

For the record...I think he did fine. He's a bit nervous......he doesn;t have....nerves...of steel like Dak did in 2016. But I think he gets some confidence and gets better.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rush is mediocre and in his first start, he threw for over 300 yards, converted like 6 of 8 third down conversions the first quarter and half and got the ball to Amari 8 times for over 100 plus yards and a TD and won on a game winning drive behind this talent that surrounds him.

This basically shows any good QB can win with this talent…. The issue is, how open in the SB window with this roster, considering Tyron Smith is in his 13th year and Martin is in year 7….

The impact of Smith being lost during the game showed immediately as far as game planning is concerned…

We simply have to reload. I'm not looking at this as a temporary passing phase. And I am also not saying win a super bowl every year. But instill a winning environment and be able to competently compete.

Having said that...this year would be good!

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?
He performed much better than expected.
This team performed better than expected considering they never played down or layed down with Dak being absent.
This team is 6-1 right now, and thats the bottom line and the Vikes are shaking their heads in disbelief.
Rush proved to himself, this team, and attending family members that he deserves QB2 status in this league.

khiladi

Reaction score
We simply have to reload. I'm not looking at this as a temporary passing phase. And I am also not saying win a super bowl every year. But instill a winning environment and be able to competently compete.

Having said that...this year would be good!

Exactly.. we are fortunate to have Smith and Martin, the latter Zeke actually called their best player on offense just this off-season. Collins is also legit, but in reality, SB windows are tight, even with elite QBs. Look at Rodgers…

Elite QBs can keep you relevant, but winning SBs is a different issue. You need to come in hot in the playoffs as well, like Tampa’s defense last year.

This roster is loaded, but FA happens and players get injured and so on…

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?

Don't know about that. 20 points is the minimum that you have to score in this era to be considered a decent offense, so we accomplished that. And his TD throws to Wilson and Cooper were very well-thrown balls. But he threw one bad interception and should have had another. We also got very lucky on the circus catch by Cooper.

Backups aren't perfect, though, or they would be starters somewhere. So I'd at least keep looking to upgrade the position in the offseason.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Not the foreseeable future, no. But for the rest of the year, yes.

Most of his deep throws were way off target. If I were the coach that's something I'd seriously work on with him. If he can better himself in that area then we can talk about the foreseeable future.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Absolutely not lol.

That was a circus and we need a better backup.

Had they gotten a 2 score lead that game is over.

Exactly. How many random QBs have big games in this league? Heck, Mike White looked like Joe Montana yesterday. It happens. Matt Flynn got a big payday for this very thing in Green Bay in 2011 when he went off against Detroit. Never did anything after that. Was beat out by a rookie Russell Wilson after Seattle gave him that big contract and they never looked back.

Jason Garrett even came in and did this very thing for Dallas in the 90s.

Cooper Rush did his thing for that one game and good for him and us but this should not be his job going forward unless he really earns it. And he needs legit competition next offseason.

Andy Dalton looked awesome against this Minny team last season. Cousins is just overrated garbage who loses these games and Dallas owns him in general.

I get being hyped up after an improbable win but don't start being irrational. Cooper is still very raw and unpredictable. So many of his balls past 15 yards were off target. Minny dropped some sure picks and that juggle catch by Cooper was right in their hands. He is not someone I have confident in long term.

TequilaCowboy

Reaction score
Rush performed well as he could have, and at the least, should give him some added confidence should he be needed more during the year. i think Dallas still feels Will Grier may be the backup looking ahead for next year or so since he has a 4 year contract and Rush will be a free agent after this season. I am curious as to how Grier performs when his turn comes up but it may not be this year. So Rush will be the 2nd in line in 2021 for now.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Rush did good for his first real game, but Dak's savvy would have destroyed the Vikes. For example, on the interception Rush threw, he literally stared down the receiver thus diverting the safeties towards the center of the field. Had he looked off the center of the field, he would've had a huge reception in the middle to Schultz or Jarwin, which ever TE that was.

Another example is how quickly Dak gets in and out of the huddle. He forces the defense to show it's hand, then audibles accordingly. Rush was constantly with 4 or 5 seconds left on the clock and snapping the ball at 1 to 2 seconds. Several times I saw the safety in the box, and at the last second move to a cover 2. This wouldn't happen with Dak because he forces you to show your look.

Yet still, our offense was explosive which tells the league, they're in trouble unless they can get to Dak quickly, and I do believe this is why the Rams picked up Miller. For the purposes of Tampa Bay and Dallas' offense.

Last edited:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
For a guy who hasn’t played in 4 years and only had 3 career NFL passes he played really well and got better as the game went on. You could see his confidence grow. I think he certainly cemented his backup role for this year at least.