Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

mmohican29

Reaction score
Some of that was our defense but Minny is a dink and dunk team so it seems. When they showed the QB stats late in the game I couldn't believe them. Cousins was averaging 6 yards a completion.

There are teams that use the short passing game to "rubber band" defenses.

The Vikings are one, KC, Philly, LAR are a few others.

Poor defenses are in big trouble if they can't stop the bleeding and can't cover on the outside because the "haymaker" is coming at some point.

The Vikings O has been rolling most of the year. Credit the Defense. They were stout, physical in zone creating multiple 3rd down and mid to long yardage to go. In man2man- they were up to the task most of the night.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
The Cooper Scooper saved his butt when he threw it directly to the other teams player and bounced off his chest, I had to scratch my head a few time wondering where Rush was throwing the ball. If it wasn't for that last second magical squeak by Zeke, the game would also be lost.

Cmac

Reaction score
Temporarily.....just temporarily. Some balls thrown had miracle on them.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
The team kind of carried him. Esp. The Defense. Despite no turnovers, they got crucial stops and held them to FG’s after that horrid first drive. Coop’s crazy catches in the final drive and Zeke plowing through defenders got us this win. So it was a bit of luck as well.

tl;dr: we need to trade for someone. Foles or even Flacco come to mind. Not super great, but could be serviceable backups. We need to address special teams too… Greg is losing it…

What's the upgrade in trading for Foles/Flacco?? An argument could be made that for the odd games that Dak's still out having a back-up, that's familiar with the scheme, is preferable to spending money on Foles' contract, (i'd prefer that money being saved and given to Gregory).

Even if a trade was made today, the back-up would only get through a basic play list..... whereas Rush gets to enhance his understanding in the next week.

As regards long term, it'll depend on the next week (or so), it's not a decision that needs to be made now.

Great win, that highlights that we at last have a team (both sides of the ball).

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
Yes. He's good enough the hold the fort for a game or two. More is not needed of a backup QB, despite the always present danger of your starter having this season ending injury. Otherwise all teams would have two starters.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
Unreal some of the people on here. The guy started against a tough team having not played in some time and won the game, completing a game winning drive. If that was Dak people would be saying he led us to victory but instead they want to berate Rush. You people are a joke. Some Cowboys fans.

shabazz

Reaction score
He looked like an old school backup QB ........ people are too spoiled and want starters as backups.

No....but we would settle for ex starters like Cam Newton though.

And oh by the way, this game proves that even a below average Qb playing against a good defense can throw for 325 yards and 2 touchdowns.......because of the talent around him.

Yup 40 million for any Qb with this offensive support was stupid.

shabazz

Reaction score
Unreal some of the people on here. The guy started against a tough team having not played in some time and won the game, completing a game winning drive. If that was Dak people would be saying he led us to victory but instead they want to berate Rush. You people are a joke. Some Cowboys fans.

cooper rush throwing for the 2nd highest yards ever by a Cowboy starting Qb in his first game was too much for some to take.........this is is gonna be a rough week for some of them

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes. He's good enough the hold the fort for a game or two. More is not needed of a backup QB, despite the always present danger of your starter having this season ending injury. Otherwise all teams would have two starters.

We did last year, look where that got us (ok, we had Nolan and other injuries). Again the stark reality is that we aren't going far in the play-offs without Dak and we just don't have the CAP space for a marked upgrade.

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I'd much prefer a proven veteran back up over Rush.

We won and he was a big part of that, but I'm not comfortable with him playing.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
Am I happy for Cooper Rush to play an occasional game when required? Yes, he earned that right last night. Will I ever be happy if a situation arose where our back up qb had to play multiple games in a season? No, back ups, all of them, are back ups for a reason.

RonWashington

Reaction score
I think what the Viking game does is give Rush another start at home against a Bronco team frankly the Cowboys should handle. Give Dak another game to heal .

RonWashington

Reaction score
Anybody else get concerned when Diggs limped off and Al Michaels was mumbling into the game goes Joseph at CB. All I could think was the Vikings going up top getting Joseph singled up deep . Hope # 7 gets some hot chocolate bed rest and pops in Alabama highlights on the DVR get ready for Broncos

LittleD

Reaction score
He's a serviceable back-up but he's not beating any of the NFC's play-off QBs when it matters.

I don't think there are many back-up QB's beating the top 5 clubs in the NFC. For that matter, not many starting QB's are beating the top 5 QB's. Backups are not starters and just think,
that was Cooper's first start in a real game...