Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Yes he definitely has. I said it a few days before the game in a thread that Rush has never started a regular season game and has never played with the starters. The guy has never started a regular season game, went in to a loud stadium against probably the best defense we've played all season and threw for over 300 yards and had a game winning drive. On Sunday night football. The NFL is a what have you done for me lately league. If he has to start again and plays poorly the opinion of him can change real quick, but if last night's performance hasn't earned him the right to be a backup, then what standards are you holding your backup QB to? On top of all this this was the first gam all season the Cowboys defense hasn't forced a turnover (although they did play an awesome game) and Tyron Smith didn't play half the game and the running game wasn't clicking. Who's to say he couldn't build on this and be even better, it was his first start. In my mind he's definitely earned the right to be a backup on this team and played a heck of game. Is he better then Dak? Heck no, but if Dak's not available he's proving his worth and I said before the game he might surprise some folks. Maybe given the chance he would continue to?

Macnalty

Reaction score
Are there better backups maybe, but all you can expect is for them to carry you for a game or two, not a season. He just filled out his resume and carried us for one game. We can all see that he is not Dak.

visionary

Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?

Yes. He also got more comfortable as the game wore on. He clearly needs more game experience. I would say that the next game is against the Broncos and we should start Rush and rest Dak to give him another week.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
No. In fact I felt worse than I did before the game. Major accuracy and decision issues.
are you nuts? Major decision issues?
I will not go as far to say he has answers all questions, because thats as foolish as saying a 1st rd draft pick is or isnt the answer at QB after 3 starts.
That being said, Cooper went on the road, threw for 325 yards at an 13.54 avg per completion, threw it 40 times and had 1 interception. Did you see the accuracy on his two TD passes? He hit Wilson 25 or so yards down field running in stride perfectly which is the only reason wilson was able to keep running for the TD. The pass to Cooper in the corner to win the game was PERFECT.

You cant ask a QB to do much better in their very first start.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Aren't they all a team effort games?
It looked to me he played better as the game went on.
That's what you want to see in any player.

No, not all. Some teams are dragged across the finish line. He did well for his first start.

SlammedZero

Reaction score
He had a rough first half, and understandably so. Not only was it his first NFL start, but it happened to be on the SNF game. A huge ratings timeslot. He seemed to really settle in the second half and the TD play to Cedric Wilson really boosted his confidence. While I wouldn't feel comfortable giving him the keys to the franchise, I think he can come in and help you win a game here or there if needed. And he did that.

Just keep him and save the draft picks.

ben24

Reaction score
I have mixed feelings about Rush this game. I feel like he missed a lot of wide open receivers with inaccurate passes or bad reads, sometimes got himself in trouble by failing to feel the pressure and was generally flattered by the talent around him. I never had high expectations for him at all though, so can't say that I was at all disappointed by his performance. I still think most backup QBs would perform better than him with such great talent around them but I feel as though he could improve into an average backup QB with more game time. It's hard to expect much more from a backup QB with such limited NFL experience

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?
It should’ve been 21 /7 in the first half. He did calm down. But no that’s the best we’re going to get from him. But that’s all we need

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
Yeah right. Ten years ago.
So 2011 we had a defense good enough to carry a mediocre offense? I just don’t know about that…

Are you feeling ok? Do you need to sit down and take a sip of water or something?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score

He cemented it for the rest of this season. If he has to play again and continues to improve he could be here a long time. He recovered nicely after a shaky first half. He definitely got better as the game went on.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Not taking anything away from Rush, he did an amazing job under the circumstances, but my answer is no.

Dallas' defense won this game by forcing field goals for the last three quarters. And if Amari Cooper doesn't make that juggling catch off two or three deflections for a 33 yard gain the mood here today swings 180 degrees.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So 2011 we had a defense good enough to carry a mediocre offense? I just don’t know about that…

Are you feeling ok? Do you need to sit down and take a sip of water or something?

I'm good, how about yourself?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Until his contract runs out, then its back to another cheap QB. LOL