Did Cooper Rush cement himself as our back up QB for the forseeable future

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm surprised there are several here that are putting down Rush's performance last night. Yes I was nervous, as I'm sure we all were, and not always confident through the game. And there were a few throws that left us scratching our heads.

BUT …..

This was Rush's very first regular season start, and he was playing against one of the top pass defenses with one of the top pass rushes in the NFL. Given those circumstances do people really think he played poorly?

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
bottom line this was a team win and that defense was really good and they are young and will just keep getting better and growing this team is special enjoy every game and every moment of this season

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?

I dont think he had a strong performance.

No it doenst sell me on him. But it will sell Jerry.

conner01

Reaction score
It looked like a really weak spot heading into the season. Does Rush's strong performance tonight sell you on him being Prescott's permanent backup?
That I doubt
But he certainly earned an apology from me
I thought we had no chance with him under center, but he actually played a very solid game
Sorry rush

blueblood70

Reaction score
answer is NO hes 3rd string type qb lacks zip and arm strength so as full future backup id say no but he has earned respect and is viable backup..

id like a guy with more upside, a potential starter being groomed as true #2 but Rush earned his roster spot for sure.

he played great dont get me wrong I like the guy and for the first game ver to start only 3 passes thrown in a real game he did well distributing the ball.

and i wrote this on the game thread

umm every single one of you that trashed rush all week, all day, and most of the game needs to apologize or quit this place..

you were wrong those of us that said wait and see how it turns out first before bashing were right AGAIN all year every layer and coach that was doubted have come though to make the naysayer wrong ..

you all should be tired of being wrong.

this was Rush very first start and hes thrown total of 3 nfl passes..so anyone replies nit picking his game should look at the 35million dollar qb on the losing end of it..cousins wasn't very good for top starter in this league..our defense stepped dup big time..

all those that wanted White , Rush says Hello..

the guy is a basic vanilla nothing special player but he came in and did his job..very much reminded me of garrets start and win on TG against Gb..

not huge deal to win this game in the grand scheme of things but great for rush his family, and all the players that stepped up and won this game as TEAM.

this is team game and this team has been playing like team since game 1 and its nice for once to see this culture..

great won for the team and fans..6-1, 6 in row ,backups all stepping up,..

this was the best team win we have had in a long while..

quickccc

Reaction score

I still prefer some kind of legit vet backup competition in offseason. .. not just hand a guy the role by default.

Just like Garrett Gilbert, same goes for Cooper Rush.

Many thought Gilbert played his way onto the primary backup after a decent game vs Steelers
and then he really regressed ..and was cut from the team.

quickccc

Reaction score
The team kind of carried him. Esp. The Defense. Despite no turnovers, they got crucial stops and held them to FG’s after that horrid first drive. Coop’s crazy catches in the final drive and Zeke plowing through defenders got us this win. So it was a bit of luck as well.

tl;dr: we need to trade for someone. Foles or even Flacco come to mind. Not super great, but could be serviceable backups. We need to address special teams too… Greg is losing it…

Yet Rush made the big two huge TD passes to Wilson 73 yd TD that was right on the money in stride,..
... just as Rush feathered in a fade to Cooper for the go-ahead winning TD.

Sorry but Rush led this offense to a win, that was the plays we needed , and the plays that factored big time.
He made plays. I don't see how that can be taken away from him.

blueblood70

Reaction score
No. In fact I felt worse than I did before the game. Major accuracy and decision issues.
forst real game as starter in any capacity hasnt thrown live passes in an nfl game ever...he gets b- from me and he can get better imagine the nerves on the road i mean hes basically a rookie..

its why guys like MIke white take 3-4 years to be groomed a lifetime backup,,

im less concerned about him as spot backup. He did well given the circumstances,,

he earned his roster spot but future #2 like guy with starter potential that's what we need but rush should be the guy temp# 2 for sure a great #3 to be on the this roster..

BTW accuracy issues not much for his first game the OL at times especially at tackle and outside rush against one of the top pass rushing teams in the league left him exposed many times he rushed many throws had little time to throw..this is a team game and at times MN was all over the pockets making it tougher for green qb.,,

in that circumstance he did great..if you truly watched every snap you'd see at times the OL was being man handled, not all game but so many times a guy was running free full speed like the fumble he got blindsided, no one blocked that guy at all., the one zeke blocked and released his guy and rush got nailed..i mean it was NOT a clean pocket..guys like Dak covered that up but the pass blocking was inconsistent

want to pick on Rush lets go back and look at the blocking and look all over the tam how many holding penalties the OL had putting us behind the chains etyc etc

as a whole the GAME itself rush played great for the situation..

its ironic those criticizing this totally green qb and go look on the other isde at the 35 mil qb who was playing well all season and out defense made Cousins look worse then Rush..hows that Rush a 3rd during first time starter with no experience in real game with little skillset played better than a front line starter..

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
well, was this his Garrett moment....when Garrett played for Aikman on a thanksgiving game and had game of his career......you tell yourself, I take this one, but hope not to see them again.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'm victim of this too but its worth noting that the most reps Rush has gotten has been with backups. We are far too hard on him for his inexperience.

He doesn't have any NFL experience. I think with that first game out of his way he will be even better next time. It wouldn't stop me from upgrading the position but he played good enough to win yesterday and thats' what you want as a backup.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cooper knows what to do, doesn't possess the skillset to do it. No, sorry, there's no "better" to it. Cooper is like a RB who runs a 5 flat 40.

NorthoftheRedRiver

Reaction score
The way Dak is limping, he may have cemented himself as our starting QB for the forseeable future.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yet Rush made the big two huge TD passes to Wilson 73 yd TD that was right on the money in stride,..
... just as Rush feathered in a fade to Cooper for the go-ahead winning TD.

Sorry but Rush led this offense to a win, that was the plays we needed , and the plays that factored big time.
He made plays. I don't see how that can be taken away from him.

I agree. No one gave his kid a snowballs chance in hell of winning last night. Dallas was supposed to lose because of Rush. Fact is the kid handled the pressure, he made some mistakes but by and large moved this offense. Dallas had 419 total yards converted 50% on 3rd down (avg for the Cowboys 47%) Rush did not seem overwhelmed or scared out there.

Aven8

Reaction score
Zimm pulled a page out of Bill’s book and took away Schultz and the run game. Rush said ok I’ll just try to get three 100 yard WR’s.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Zimm pulled a page out of Bill’s book and took away Schultz and the run game. Rush said ok I’ll just try to get three 100 yard WR’s.

Yep, Minn went in saying if Dallas was going to beat them, Cooper Rush would have to do it in the passing game. Cooper did just that.

Deep_South

Reaction score
Rush went into the Vikings' house, threw for over 300, and beat them, throwing a TD pass to Amari with less than an minute left in the game. You couldn't ask for anything more from him in his first start. He already had the backup job, and last night he locked it in. Still, I hope Dak is ready to go against the Broncos.