Did Denver Botch 9 with Surtain

DFWJC

Reaction score
I 100% believe they took him with the intention of trading for Rodgers. SF took their QB; they’re off the list. Denver will end up with him if he’s serious about bailing. Nobody botched this as bad as GB
Could be.

Huge gamble as I think the odds are slim they get him.

That Denver Oline ranked 25th at the end of last year (Green Bay's was 2nd).
Unless the Broncos' line radically improves, I can't imagine Rodgers wanting to play behind that in his final years.
Raiders--another team rumored to be in the hunt--could have an even be worse line, as they lost 3 starters from the 24th ranked unit.

The Broncs should've either taken a QB, taken Slater, or traded down....imo

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
John Elway is a terrible GM.

Drew Lock is not a good QB who has a good game 1/6 times. Check down Teddy is a bad NFL QB who you will never win with.. I have no idea what Elway is doing but he absolutely should have taken Justin Fields.

Elway is better than the Jones boys. He built a super champ........within recent memory.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think so. DEN needed a CB, and Surtain looks to be very solid for the next 10 years.

Bridgewater is fine as a bus driver. Most likely better than anyone they'd have gotten at that spot.

ghst187

Reaction score
I suspect if Denver really wants Rodgers they will get him. And Surtain is going to be very good CB for a long time so no, they didn’t botch it. Denver getting Rodgers
Is a total Elway move. And frankly, can’t see too awful many other teams in a position either with their QB and cap situation or needs willing to trade the necessary for Rodgers.

Pape

Reaction score
Elway stepped down as the GM after the 2020 season, but retained the title President of Football Operations. The donks hired George Paton, former director of player personnel for the Minnesota Vikings, as the GM in January 2021. Paton, not horseface Elway, is making the player personnel decisions.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Mods if this needs to be in the NFL that is fine I put it here since it affected our pic.

Very good talk with Sturm on the Ticket today about Denver’s pick. The conversation revolved around them being influenced by MAYBE getting Rodgers and skipping QB. Justin Fields was there and they have Drew Lock and Bridgewater. Even if Surtain is a 10 yr starter, if Fields is a stud then they missed out on 5 yrs of a young QB, at least, for a DB snd a hope of Rodgers. It may work out but that’s risky for a FO to work off hope of a deal.
Be interesting to see how this plays out.

cristglo

Reaction score
Im not sure what will happen in GB I personally want him to stay so we can beat him in the playoffs! LOL
This is FUBR what does Aaron want from GB to make it right? Control over players? More money an extension?
GB did he wrong by not letting Aaron know ahead of time they were drafting a QB They should have went to Aaron and gave him the heads up. It happened two drafts ago Aaron came out and played and had an MVP season and if they would have went for it who knows what would have happened.
I dont really know of a team that is loaded with players that he could go to that is better then GB that needs a QB.
IF GB trades him they better get a couple of 1st and a second maybe a player. GB is going to have to eat a lot of dead money. The only way that I can see this ending is if GB says ok we will let you have input on players coming and going and extended him. Where does that leave Jordan sitting on the bench waiting to be traded????
Its ugly in GB Im glad its not us!

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Elway is better than the Jones boys. He built a super champ........within recent memory.
Elway was bad enough he was forced out within a few years of winning a title.
He did a very Philly-like go all in move and signed a bunch of free agents to large deals that everyone knew would eventually age badly.

They got a title in 2015 but they've won 32 games across the 5 seasons since then and only finished above .500 one time.

I don't consider that good work. But I'm also the kind of guy who has no desire to win 1 title a decade and be bad 9 other seasons to do so.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The AR stuff is wild because his value has to be dropping daily. You can add a RB or many others late in an off-season and it doesn't matter much.
But a QB? He needs time to either learn he offense or teach it to others or some mix of both. And that's before you talk gelling with WRs or OL learning the QBs tendencies to move up, out, around in pocket.
Tom Brady joined the Bucs early last off-season, held unofficial learn the offense camps even mid-COVID and STILL didn't really hit stride til about 5 weeks into the season.

And if you trade for AR and turn it over to him which is what trading for him means... you are losing his age 37 year season so you'd be trading for him to hit stride at 38.
Paying a fortune in actual cash plus trade seems tough to do.

I don't think the Broncos necessarily botched PS2 at 9 because he is a good player that is about as safe a selection at CB as you can find.
But I also think were I the Broncos the QB I'd be in on is DeShaun Watson not 37 year old Rodgers.
Getting a massive talent with a low cap hit is the jam.

Make no mistake part of this entire Rodgers thing is he wants to be the highest paid QB in football.
He "feels like" he can play past 40 and isn't on discount play yet but he likely only has 1 3-4 year contract to be paid at that rate so he wants to re-up now under 17 games.

Annndddd if I am the Broncos and wanting Watson, then I think Fields would be the guy I drafted in an effort to entice the Texans who lacked a pick.

jnday

Reaction score
I 100% believe they took him with the intention of trading for Rodgers. SF took their QB; they’re off the list. Denver will end up with him if he’s serious about bailing. Nobody botched this as bad as GB
Rodgers has to be one of the least liked players in the league due to his arrogance and other personality flaws. If I was a Broncos fan, I would hate to see him in a Denver uniform.

jnday

Reaction score
The AR stuff is wild because his value has to be dropping daily. You can add a RB or many others late in an off-season and it doesn't matter much.
But a QB? He needs time to either learn he offense or teach it to others or some mix of both. And that's before you talk gelling with WRs or OL learning the QBs tendencies to move up, out, around in pocket.
Tom Brady joined the Bucs early last off-season, held unofficial learn the offense camps even mid-COVID and STILL didn't really hit stride til about 5 weeks into the season.

And if you trade for AR and turn it over to him which is what trading for him means... you are losing his age 37 year season so you'd be trading for him to hit stride at 38.
Paying a fortune in actual cash plus trade seems tough to do.

I don't think the Broncos necessarily botched PS2 at 9 because he is a good player that is about as safe a selection at CB as you can find.
But I also think were I the Broncos the QB I'd be in on is DeShaun Watson not 37 year old Rodgers.
Getting a massive talent with a low cap hit is the jam.

Make no mistake part of this entire Rodgers thing is he wants to be the highest paid QB in football.
He "feels like" he can play past 40 and isn't on discount play yet but he likely only has 1 3-4 year contract to be paid at that rate so he wants to re-up now under 17 games.

Annndddd if I am the Broncos and wanting Watson, then I think Fields would be the guy I drafted in an effort to entice the Texans who lacked a pick.
I doubt Watson will still be an option after dealing with the dozens of women that he has upset with his behavior.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
Couldn't have happened to a better team (GB) except Philly (botching things up).

Beaker42

Reaction score
If they aren’t able to trade for Rodgers. Then yes they botched it.

fields would be the #1 overall pick in a lot of draft classes. Only reason he was available at #8 was because it was a deep QB class at the top.
I’ll laugh my azz off if Rodgers doesn’t wind up in Denver.