Did last night change your expectations W/O Zeke?

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score
How did last night's game affect your expectations for the team without Zeke, if at all? I know it's the Colts and they had a pretty terrible defense last year. Regardless of that, it was phenomenal to see Dak and Dez connect and show much improved chemistry and OL dominating the Colts up front along with the three guys - McFadden, Morris and Smith - looking sharp and finding the holes and making some plays. On the other end our Defense looked really good. Taco was disruptive, my guy Demontre Moore brought pressure a handful of times too along with the sack. LBs seemed to play really well and Jaylon looked nice considering he hasn't played in over 500 days. Scandrick looked like his old self now two years removed from his ACL injury so hey! We might just be significantly improved on D. I have gone back and forth on my expectations from 3-3 to 4-2 but at this point you can put me down firm at 4-2. We play some great defenses to start the season but we seem to be a more well rounded team than last year with some improvements on defense.

Sydla

Reaction score
Not really. I think we can weather a 4-6 game window without him but if this team wants to take that next step and be the first repeat NFCE champ in like a dozen years and get over that hump of early playoff exits, they are going to need Elliott.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I feel somewhat better, but more so on the overall team, and not just from the running game aspect. Though that helped a lot.
The O looks fluent for the most part. And the D overall the last two games looked decent. Even the 3rd team guys late. Yes they gave up some plays, but that is expected in the PS games with these players. But there were some good signs.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think any team should lower their expectations because there RB is out for some games.

It's the easiest position in the league to get production from.

Losing Zeke may cost us a game but for a small window of games it should be a non issue for our big picture really.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Not really. I think we can weather a 4-6 game window without him but if this team wants to take that next step and be the first repeat NFCE champ in like a dozen years and get over that hump of early playoff exits, they are going to need Elliott.
this post is spot on

Shuff

Reaction score
No, I thought we would be fine and use Switzer and Beasley more. With or without Zeke, tough starting schedule, I would take 3-3 and anything better would be icing on the cake. If our D gels quickly we should do better than 3-3. We will score points.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Way too early to tell. It is preseason so no game planning or specific schemes to defend what the opposing offense if running and the Colts defense if horrific.

stiletto

Reaction score
It really is all about the QB play. If Dak plays at the same level or better, we'll be fine. Defenses will be hard pressed to stack the box with our throwing weapons. I think a lot of lanes will be open for the guys we have. Maybe not many to the house type things but I still bet we see some gashes of 30-40 yards. I am not worried about the offense as much as the defense and the fact our rookie corners haven't been playing. They really needed every rep they could get this pre-season. There could be some struggles there that will make games closer than they should be. Just my .02.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Our OL makes it a lot easier for us to get by at RB. Zeke is a luxury with an OL as good as ours.

windjc

Reaction score
Our starters were much better than their starters on both sides of the field. But they didn't have Luck.

You can't discount how we looked, but you have to know that football is about consistency of performance. Its also about big plays, penalties and TOs.

There is reason to be hopeful that the 2017 version will be as good as or even better than the 2016 version, but football is still a game of inches.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
With this offensive line, you can make an below average back look good....This team will be just fine without Zeke.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
With this offensive line, you can make an below average back look good....This team will be just fine without Zeke.

My thoughts exactly. EE is obviously a great back, but the line looked great last night. Was really happy to see Cooper looking as sharp as he did those first 2 drives. Always have been pulling for the guy. Liked him that draft year and have always felt bad about his injury. Looks like a very good chance with him playing between Smith and Fred he's gonna capture some of his talent that had him labeled the prospect he was!

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
And I love how most of the media thinks this line will take a step back wo Free and Leary. Very good chance the line is even better this year!

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Im still worried.

We will be able to move the ball, but 1 of the biggest difference Zeke makes, is he is way more physical than all of our other RBs, so by the the 4th quarter, defenses are worn out and we can kill the clock.

We all know we dont have a reliable defense to get critical stops when the game is on the line, so it is crucial for us to have a RB like Zeke to help us run the clock out

erod

Reaction score
It was kind of cheap to go no huddle out of the gate. No defense in preseason is prepared for that. Teams just don't gameplan that way in preseason.