Did last night change your expectations W/O Zeke?

Proximo

Reaction score
Did last night change my expectations without EE?

Not really....we are not an offense that's dependent on the performance of ONE superstar player. That's really what it boils down to.

We are going to be able to run the ball without Elliott, and we can certainly pass the ball without him on the field.

Now, don't get it twisted; Elliott IS a superstar and our offense benefits greatly from his presence....but we can successfully function without him, too. That's how we're built.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I aleady felt like we coukd have at least a B+ run game with our oline, QB, and receiving threats. Regardless of if Zeke plays.

Yesterday--and yes it was vs a terrible Colts defense, in vanilla preseason no less--did not change my opinion.

I'm still optimistic about the offense

Reaction score
No, serviceable RBs are there to be had to plug in and be productive - we have a few of them. Zeke is heads above, can the take the game over but we have enough firepower overall to win. Would not be surprised if his suspension is reduced to two and we at least split those games if not win both.

Aven8

Reaction score
I don't think any team should lower their expectations because there RB is out for some games.

It's the easiest position in the league to get production from.

Losing Zeke may cost us a game but for a small window of games it should be a non issue for our big picture really.

Catch you are not giving Zeke enough credit. This dude touches the ball more than anyone and is elite. It's a very dramatic drop off from 5-12yards from any RB, to all the way any time he gets it in his hands. He got 1600 yards and he really never had that great of a game!!

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
It was kind of cheap to go no huddle out of the gate. No defense in preseason is prepared for that. Teams just don't gameplan that way in preseason.

Going no huddle is perfect for preseason. Especially if you want to incorporate it as part of the offense. I'm assuming they want to use it as part of the offense even during the season.

robjay04

Reaction score
It was kind of cheap to go no huddle out of the gate. No defense in preseason is prepared for that. Teams just don't gameplan that way in preseason.

They should've seen it enough in college, if not then they need a new coach.

I'm thinking we run no huddle quite a bit, especially without Zeke. It's probably where Dak is most comfortable.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
I liked what I saw in that the offense actually went through Dak, which is what should happen without Zeke.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Catch you are not giving Zeke enough credit. This dude touches the ball more than anyone and is elite. It's a very dramatic drop off from 5-12yards from any RB, to all the way any time he gets it in his hands. He got 1600 yards and he really never had that great of a game!!

I give Zeke a ton of credit. He's a great player.

It's just too easy in this league for no names to come in and play well at that position and we have the best situation in football for a ground game so it is not a big issue in the short term.

I still don't get why people think 1 player is the difference between winning and losing in parity football. QB position maybe but other then that 1 player lost doesn't end a season or mean you automatically lose.

aria

Reaction score
As I've been saying all along, Zeke is great but we'll be just fine without him for the first 6 games if ot comes down to that which I doubt. The O line actually did better than I thought. Granted it was the Colts but they absolutely dominated and any running back would have got good yardage.

I'm not saying Zeke wouldn't have possibly added another dimension but Morris and McFadden are more than adequate behind our O line. If Zeke was suspended for the middle or the end of the season I'd be much more concerned because the schedule gets tougher. We will be at least 4-2, if not better, after the first 6 games with or without Zeke.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
20914213_10156585605059816_1126293330198823331_n.jpg

I was at the game last night and snapped this pic. Popeye's chicken in hand. Zeke is getting fat and is now on his way to eating himself out of the NFL.

erod

Reaction score
They should've seen it enough in college, if not then they need a new coach.

I'm thinking we run no huddle quite a bit, especially without Zeke. It's probably where Dak is most comfortable.
Chip Kelly showed how bad that turns out. Half your team is injured or worn out by midseason. Veteran's bodies don't hold up well.

erod

Reaction score
Going no huddle is perfect for preseason. Especially if you want to incorporate it as part of the offense. I'm assuming they want to use it as part of the offense even during the season.
Horrible idea unless done in great moderation. Leads to injury.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not really. I think we can weather a 4-6 game window without him but if this team wants to take that next step and be the first repeat NFCE champ in like a dozen years and get over that hump of early playoff exits, they are going to need Elliott.
Please don't use the words hump and Zeke in the same paragraph.

Aven8

Reaction score
I give Zeke a ton of credit. He's a great player.

It's just too easy in this league for no names to come in and play well at that position and we have the best situation in football for a ground game so it is not a big issue in the short term.

I still don't get why people think 1 player is the difference between winning and losing in parity football. QB position maybe but other then that 1 player lost doesn't end a season or mean you automatically lose.

One player?? You mean like when Adrian Peterson carried his team into the playoffs, Randy Moss his rookie year, Julio Jones almost every year?? These guys are transcendent players. Zeke is in that category.

robjay04

Reaction score
Chip Kelly showed how bad that turns out. Half your team is injured or worn out by midseason. Veteran's bodies don't hold up well.

Nobody is saying we need to do it every drive.

Many teams in the NFL mix it into their game plan and that was way before Chip Kelly came to the NFL. Preseason is a fine team to do it...both units should be prepared for a no huddle look.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
erod---i agree with your reasoning...no huddle preseason wont give accurate picture of either offense or O line