Did last night change your expectations W/O Zeke?

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Did last night change my expectations without EE?

Not really....we are not an offense that's dependent on the performance of ONE superstar player. That's really what it boils down to.

We are going to be able to run the ball without Elliott, and we can certainly pass the ball without him on the field.

Now, don't get it twisted; Elliott IS a superstar and our offense benefits greatly from his presence....but we can successfully function without him, too. That's how we're built.
Proximo----Not sure if Colts is a fair game to show our running game?....but that being said....all three running backs had good average....the thing with the Giants first game is
they will have the most difficult line to run against and #20 does not run well in zone blocking...and we need zone blocking to be our best so go with #46 or #45 against Giants in my opinion...I am not sure how we will do against them..we did not do real good even with Zeke against them last year....but this is a new year....i am excited about our offense....it looked like Dak had more velocity on the ball which has been my concern and with addition of Switzer and #80 and improved bryce butler and Dez totally balling this year and offensive coordinator knowing how to attack defenses....who knows our potent we will be this year...only thing is...if Dak goes down we better have Rush and not Moore

jaybird

Reaction score
How did last night's game affect your expectations for the team without Zeke, if at all? I know it's the Colts and they had a pretty terrible defense last year. Regardless of that, it was phenomenal to see Dak and Dez connect and show much improved chemistry and OL dominating the Colts up front along with the three guys - McFadden, Morris and Smith - looking sharp and finding the holes and making some plays. On the other end our Defense looked really good. Taco was disruptive, my guy Demontre Moore brought pressure a handful of times too along with the sack. LBs seemed to play really well and Jaylon looked nice considering he hasn't played in over 500 days. Scandrick looked like his old self now two years removed from his ACL injury so hey! We might just be significantly improved on D. I have gone back and forth on my expectations from 3-3 to 4-2 but at this point you can put me down firm at 4-2. We play some great defenses to start the season but we seem to be a more well rounded team than last year with some improvements on defense.
Just confirmed the OL is still very good, Daks a beast and Rush is better than anyone expected.

Hardline

Reaction score
I'm more worried about who's going to be the backup QB and can we overcome the suspensions on defense.
McFadden and Morris are more than serviceable. They are veterans with a solid career.

Manster68

Reaction score
When the Cowboys go into a preseason game against a team that is clearly struggling (like the Colts), the main thing I want to see is the execution. I will give the Cowboys an A on that - this is more so for the first unit. Kellen Moore? Well, he gets a D at best.

My biggest concern going into the season is health of those rookie secondary players. THEY NEED PLAYING TIME! What fears me is that the regular season will begin and they will be sheep for the slaughter.

Dallas could have won that game 37-3 easily.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thats not his reasoning.
i gave wrong quote..here is the one i meant....erod said:
It was kind of cheap to go no huddle out of the gate. No defense in preseason is prepared for that. Teams just don't gameplan that way in preseason.

Nav22

Reaction score
Not one bit. We have an elite QB so I was never worried.

Do the Packers fret when Jordy Nelson's out? Do the Patriots fret when Gronk is out?

T-RO

Reaction score
It was kind of cheap to go no huddle out of the gate. No defense in preseason is prepared for that. Teams just don't gameplan that way in preseason.

If its something we plan to do, it's something we should be getting ready to do.

T-RO

Reaction score
Chip Kelly showed how bad that turns out. Half your team is injured or worn out by midseason. Veteran's bodies don't hold up well.

Pats do it a lot. As does Green Bay. Controlling pace of the game must be a horrible idea.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Had we played the Giants or Eagles you'd be like we have to have Zeke.

No. It didn't change anything. I just hope that fumble will cause McFadden to remain a 3rd down back when Zeke's out.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
No, I thought we would be fine and use Switzer and Beasley more. With or without Zeke, tough starting schedule, I would take 3-3 and anything better would be icing on the cake. If our D gels quickly we should do better than 3-3. We will score points.

Give me one of those over the Giants and I will have a big smile. You can bet whatever the Giants do , if they win, will be replicated so beating them would open things up for us going forward. That said I hope Zeke will be there.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
Not one bit. We have an elite QB so I was never worried.

Do the Packers fret when Jordy Nelson's out? Do the Patriots fret when Gronk is out?

The Patriots play in a weak *** division. They never have to fret.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
i gave wrong quote..here is the one i meant....erod said:

Oh he also posted it will lead to injuries. I disagreed with him on that.

I also said that preseason is the best time to work out new kinks. If thats what your gonna use in the regular season, why not try it out in preseason.

Section446

Reaction score
Nope, I think that with Zeke, we're 4-2... Without, we're 3-3... Not going to panic over a game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
One player?? You mean like when Adrian Peterson carried his team into the playoffs, Randy Moss his rookie year, Julio Jones almost every year?? These guys are transcendent players. Zeke is in that category.

Those guys are on teams with nothing around them.

Aven8

Reaction score
We won games without Dez and Tyron last year.

Surely we can get production from a RB not named Zeke.

Do you forget that he was in the MVP debate?? I know we can get production, but it got to a point where he could do whatever he wanted to do on the football field. Get 10 yards, get 25, get 60. He's amazing. The whole point of Zeke is so it's not all on Dak.