Did Matty Ice & Tom Brady "Choke" in Romo Fashion?

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Brady's interception was spectacularly Romo-like... Shocking, unexpected, and gut-wrenchingly heartbreaking for Pats fans, I'm sure.

Didn't watch the NFC that much to know how much Ryan failed..

Edit: I told my Dad one of these threads would surely pop up on the Zone. Took longer than I expected

mahoneybill

Reaction score
TonyS;4976560 said:
I get what you're saying, but your only real argument here is Matty Ice as he's never won a SB. Brady has 3, Manning has 1. Once you get one of those, and certainly 3, all else is basically forgiven, at least for a long time.

Now, with Matty ice, you could argue that he has an elite team and still could not pull it off. Roddy White, Julio Jones, Gonzales, Turner, etc... and still blew it. But Matty was a high draft pick and has the premiere-in-waiting status, plus he plays for the Falcons, not the Cowboys.

But, I bet you hear some murmurs coming out of Atlanta if they haven't already about his performance in the clutch. He won't be immune to it.

What we have to do is not be so sensitive to the criticism Romo gets. He will have the opportunity to not seek another contract with the Boys in a year. It was his choice to re-sign a while ago and he will make the decision again here w/in the next year, unless franchised. He knows what kind of a team he has and if he still decides to sport the star for another 3-5, it will be on him. He's a big boy and can take care of himself and his legacy. It is not ours to defend.

Great Photoshop. Well Done

DFWJC

Reaction score
marchetta;4976586 said:
Of course they are. But, the OP was trying to point out, why doesn't that apply to Romo as well. Good points OP.
I realize that.
The point still stands and it includes all players mentioned or implied....they are human and make mistakes. Somehow, the further detached from sports people are the harder they find this fact relevant.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Matt Ryan definitely choked yesterday to be honest..He had a couple of chances to put the Falcons back up by 2 possessions and started with a pick & then a Romo-like Seahawks screw up on the snap. Tom Brady was more of a collective team choke job on the offensive side of things.. Welker had a few drops, RB fumbles & I can't blame the clock management on Brady, as Belichick should have called a timeout with 20 seconds left, which would've given the Patriots 3 shots at the endzone. Not many times, but sometimes we should call out Mr. Belichick.. He does make some errors from time to time

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4976508 said:
Yea, I know, another Romo thread.

Matty Ice has 1, thats right ONE playoff win, correct? Yesterday HE coughed up a big lead. HE threw a pick. HE fumbled a snap. HE didnt get it done at the end of the game down in the redzone.

Is Matty Ice a choker too?

How about the venerated Tom Brady? On BSPN this morning they said he is 7-7 in his last 14 playoff games. Yesterday HE screwed up with clock management at the end of the 1st half. HE didnt put up any points in the 2nd half. HE threw picks.

Is Tom CryBrady a choker too?

Or, do we put these losses on the teams?

Oh, and BTW, what about Peyton Manning? 9-11 in the post season. Threw a pick to lose the game in OT against the Ravens.

Peyton a choker too?
The three QBs you named are still in the infancy of perfecting the choke. So, for all intensive purposes, they cannot be classified as choke "artists". An artist is a person that has clearly perfected the given trade and effortlessly wows onlookers by consistently demonstrating the ease at which he or she executes said craft. Tony, while a good QB that can still potentially take us somewhere, has clearly perfected the trade. Therefore, Manning, Brady, and Ryan do not belong in the same sentence as the GCOAT.

zack

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4976558 said:
You supported Romo after the Washington game when he was clearly the weakest link and turned the ball over 3 times (All his fault). So, um yeah.

I do support him. I don't think I made an excuse when he threw that last interception. I clearly admitted that he played a bad game. But what I didn't support in that game was the lack of adjustments that put him in position to fail. Not adjusting the the blitz is another story.

If the ball hit him in the hand and he fumbled, how would I defend that? I wouldn't.

You have your bias too and I think that you overlook facts because of your disdain of Romo.

DFWJC

Reaction score
zack;4976686 said:
I do support him. I don't think I made an excuse when he threw that last interception. I clearly admitted that he played a bad game. But what I didn't support in that game was the lack of adjustments that put him in position to fail. Not adjusting the the blitz is another story.

If the ball hit him in the hand and he fumbled, how would I defend that? I wouldn't.

You have your bias too and I think that you overlook facts because of your disdain of Romo.

With him it's always been..
1 bad Romo game = 10
10 good Romo games = 1

He could write on a thesis on Romo screwups, yet he almost entirely ignores the 10x good plays....including the the enornous number of great plays in the 4th quarter of tight games with 3rd and long, etc. He gives no credit at all for that stuff.
But heaven help him if he makes a bad play or two. It's as if he's never done anything right.
Forget the month and a half of great play to get Dallas ina postion to make the playoffs when they had no business doing so. It all came down to the road game in Washington...as if Romo was somehow feeling more pressure during the game then.
No chance this guy ever played QB. No way.
He may have never even played football beyond peewee level...if at all. If he had he'd know once you're in the moment with only seconds to react, you cannot think about team records and playoffs, you're only thinking of the time at hand.
This whole choke thing is a joke.

So really, you're wasting your time here. Oops, so am I

ufcrules1

Reaction score
zack;4976686 said:

Again, it isn't just the last interception... it was overthrown/overthrown balls all game and also there were 2 other interceptions that were crucial. One was at the 30 yard line. If he doesn't throw that, we are all but guaranteed at least 3 more points if not more. How much did we lose by?

My disdain for Romo is just me being honest with what I see out there. If Romo plays a good game, I come here and say it. If he plays bad, I'm not going to make excuses for him.

ufcrules1

Reaction score
DFWJC;4976701 said:
With him it's always been..
1 bad Romo game = 10
10 good Romo games = 1

He could write on a thesis on Romo screwups, yet he almost entirely ignores the 10x good plays....including the the enornous number of great plays in the 4th quarter of tight games with 3rd and long, etc. He gives no credit at all for that stuff.
But heaven help him if he makes a bad play or two. It's as if he's never done anything right.
Forget the month and a half of great play to get Dallas ina postion to make the playoffs when they had no business doing so. It all came down to the road game in Washington...as if Romo was somehow feeling more pressure during the game then.
No chance this guy ever played QB. he may have never even played football beyond peewee level. If he had he'd know once your in the moment with only seconds to react, you cannot think about team records and playoffs, you're only tinking of the time at hand.
This whole choke thing is a joke.

So really, you're wasting your time here. Oops, so am I

Yeah, who cares about the Giants game meltdown, who cares about the Chicago meltdown game, who cares about him coming up short in other regular season games. Who cares about him single-handedly giving away the Washington game (biggest game of the season for us).

Seriously man, just call a spade a spade. Be honest with what you see out there. Stop making excuses for him.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
Brady's what, 17-7 in the playoffs now? With 3 rings? Comparing Romo to Brady in any context is just silly.

The jury's still out on Ryan. He played a fantastic game yesterday, only to make a couple of mistakes that killed his team. Yet, he's 5 years younger than Romo, and has gotten his team deeper into the playoffs than Romo every has. Ryan looked an awful lot like Romo yesterday, a bunch of great plays destroyed by a couple of negative ones.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4976508 said:
Yea, I know, another Romo thread.

Matty Ice has 1, thats right ONE playoff win, correct? Yesterday HE coughed up a big lead. HE threw a pick. HE fumbled a snap. HE didnt get it done at the end of the game down in the redzone.

Is Matty Ice a choker too?

How about the venerated Tom Brady? On BSPN this morning they said he is 7-7 in his last 14 playoff games. Yesterday HE screwed up with clock management at the end of the 1st half. HE didnt put up any points in the 2nd half. HE threw picks.

Is Tom CryBrady a choker too?

Or, do we put these losses on the teams?

Oh, and BTW, what about Peyton Manning? 9-11 in the post season. Threw a pick to lose the game in OT against the Ravens.

Peyton a choker too?

NO. The word "choke" only applies to Tony Romo. No other quarterback throws INTs in critical situations.

Matt Ryan is a good quarterback but Tony Romo IMHO is better. Matt Ryan has so much more talent around him on offense, especially the OL and WR position, that is isn't even funny. And he has the same amount of playoff wins as Tony Romo.

Oh and Tom Brady was horrible yesterday. It is ok to say it. He was terrible.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Double Trouble;4976736 said:
Brady's what, 17-7 in the playoffs now? With 3 rings? Comparing Romo to Brady in any context is just silly.

The jury's still out on Ryan. He played a fantastic game yesterday, only to make a couple of mistakes that killed his team. Yet, he's 5 years younger than Romo, and has gotten his team deeper into the playoffs than Romo every has. Ryan looked an awful lot like Romo yesterday, a bunch of great plays destroyed by a couple of negative ones.

How has Brady fared since he lost his place kicker?

Or, since the "cheating" was exposed?

He plays in the weakest division in football so the playoffs are a given. Get in and 7-7. Very average.

dragon_mikal

Fire Garrett
Reaction score
Double Trouble;4976736 said:

Tom Brady hasn't won anything in a decade now. If he was the quarterback of this team fans on here would be calling him done and begging Jerry Jones to draft a replacement. Especially after his performance yesterday.

And I am in no way saying Tom Brady is a bad quarterback. He has had a great career and is up there with the greatest of them.

zack

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4976713 said:
Again, it isn't just the last interception... it was overthrown/overthrown balls all game and also there were 2 other interceptions that were crucial. One was at the 30 yard line. If he doesn't throw that, we are all but guaranteed at least 3 more points if not more. How much did we lose by?

My disdain for Romo is just me being honest with what I see out there. If Romo plays a good game, I come here and say it. If he plays bad, I'm not going to make excuses for him.

I'm going to ask you something. Since we are stuck with Romo, do you think he will benefit from a more balanced attack vs having everything on his shoulders? For instance, in my opinion Cap doesn't have everything on his shoulders. He isn't asked to win the game outright himself. Do you think Romo would be good in that scenario? Because I really do.

What I want for this team is to be more balanced. I don't know if that is possible with this offensive line. But if they upgrade the line, I think it is possible. Thoughts?

burmafrd

Reaction score
ufcrules1;4976713 said:

you would not know honest about Romo if it slapped you in the face

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
WPBCowboysFan;4976750 said:
How has Brady fared since he lost his place kicker?

Or, since the "cheating" was exposed?

He plays in the weakest division in football so the playoffs are a given. Get in and 7-7. Very average.
:laugh2: Yeah, his kicker was the key. 3 rings. Brady will retire with many believing him to be the greatest player of all time. Romo will retire having never been the best QB in his own division.

:laugh2: at the cheating that every NFL team was doing.

Have you noticed how weak the NFCE is and has been recently? What's Romo's and the Cowboys' excuse?

7-7 is still light years better than anything we've seen in Dallas since Aikman was in his prime. Your own point destroys your own ridiculous thread.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Double Trouble;4976774 said:
:laugh2: Yeah, his kicker was the key. 3 rings. Brady will retire with many believing him to be the greatest player of all time. Romo will retire having never been the best QB in his own division.

:laugh2: at the cheating that every NFL team was doing.

Have you noticed how weak the NFCE is and has been recently? What's Romo's and the Cowboys' excuse?

7-7 is still light years better than anything we've seen in Dallas since Aikman was in his prime. Your own point destroys your own ridiculous thread.

My point destroys nothing I posted.

Brady loses his kicker and he goes and wins another ring in Indy. Kicker has 4 rings, Brady has 3, and none since the kicker left. You dont think the kicker played a major role in those mile long FG's to win the SB's? :lmao2:

You think it is just mere coincidence that the SB wins stopped after the "cheating" revelation? :lmao2:

7-7 says it all. Its a team game.

And yes I would be happy right now to have a 7-7 record in the post season with the Boys.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
To choke Romo style a QB needs at least 3 turnovers and the last one needs to come with the game on the line.