Did Romo Know It Was Fourth Down?... pics post#62

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Well the Dallas sideline certainly knew it was 4th down, right? The bigger crime was calling the exact same play twice in that situation. In that sense, Romo was just following orders, although he didn't necessarily have to throw it to his first read (Hurd).

ZeroClub

just trying to get better
Reaction score
... here's another possible interpretation

Before and during the 4th down play, Romo knows that the entire game hinges on that last play. He tells himself "this is my last play." The play ends, he glances up at the clock, sees a second left, and (only) for a second thinks, "wait, there is still a second left." Then, just as quickly, he realizes that the extra second doesn't matter.

If he was convinced that he had another play coming, he'd have acted much more decisively and vocally, and someone would have had to tell him that he was wrong.

There is a decent chance that he was just temporarily confused when he saw a tiny bit of time left on the clock. He knew the last play was the last play, but for a split second thought he might just have another play when he noticed a second was still left on the game clock.

It could have been just a minor and momentary brain fart that most humans experience from time to time.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
bbgun;2996709 said:
Well the Dallas sideline certainly knew it was 4th down, right? The bigger crime was calling the exact same play twice in that situation. In that sense, Romo was just following orders, although he didn't necessarily have to throw it to his first read (Hurd).

How could they possibly know it was 4th? The play call made no sense to me for a 4th down play with the game on the line. I could have called a better play from my recliner while watching from my TV. I almost wonder if the scoreboard in the stadium was showing 3rd when it was actually 4th.

Witten in to block? MartyB on the sideline? Roy W couldn't suck up his ribs for one or two stinking plays? Again, I would have told them to get out on a pattern, rolled Romo out of the pocket and had him throw on the run, where he is most comfortable.

Instead, he picks Hurd...2 times in a row...covered by 8 time pro bowler Champ Baily. *facepalm*

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2996723 said:
How could they possibly know it was 4th? The play call made no sense to me for a 4th down play with the game on the line. I could have called a better play from my recliner while watching from my TV. I almost wonder if the scoreboard in the stadium was showing 3rd when it was actually 4th.

If the scoreboard said 3rd down, then how come the Denver sideline erupted in celebration, with their neophyte coach frantically motioning for the defense to come off the field?

Don Corleone

Reaction score
bbgun;2996736 said:
If the scoreboard said 3rd down, then how come the Denver sideline erupted in celebration, with their neophyte coach frantically motioning for the defense to come off the field?

Perhaps because they knew the down and distance, and the sideline marker showing 4th down was right in front of them.

boyzjunkie

Reaction score
theebs;2995262 said:
I am going to record it at 1:30.

I dont think I will put it up though because I know it will somehow end up on sites like profootballcrap and the like and I hate those sites.

It really is odd though, he makes a quick motion like he is saying something to a lineman, while walking off the field with them and then holds up 3 fingers...again while walking off the field....then just screams at himself from frustration.

There is no way he thought it was 3rd down. No way, so I have no idea what those fingers meant.

I can tell you what they meant. He was so upset with the lack of a PI call on CB that he wasn't satisfied with throwing up just his middle finger. He went for three times that :)

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
I wonder what Joe was trying to say. Either "You're fat" or "Don't throw it to Hurd."

235-74-Ch2-1_SunOct42009_063255PM.dvr-ms_-_00059.jpg

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Explanation on dc.com sounds plausible. He looked over and they were changing the markers back to first... as they were doing that he saw 3rd down.

So maybe he thinks "damn, they thought that was 3rd...let's huddle and call a play" - if that was the case it seems heads up to me. you likely don't sell that but the one in a mill times you do ...

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
theebs;2995926 said:
Here is romo looking up at the scoreboard while walking off
http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/Romo-1-web.jpg

Here is Romo calling for a huddle?
http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/romo-2-web.jpg

Here is Romo holding up 3 fingers? There is no way he thought it was third down. I dont think.
http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/romo-3-web.jpg

and here he is screaming in frustration.
http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/romo-4-web.jpg
This could certainly disprove my theory that the new stadium was built on an ancient Indian burial ground if these things are happening to him at mile high.
:eek:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
poke;2993770 said:
True Blue Nick Eatman Blog on dallascowboys.com

Did Romo Know It Was Fourth Down?
Posted by nickeatman at 10/5/2009 2:53 PM CDT on truebluefanclub.com
[FONT=verdana,geneva]As if things weren’t already bad enough surrounding the Cowboys quarterback, who obviously struggled in Denver Sunday.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]But now the question has surfaced if Romo even knew his final pass to Sam Hurd Sunday was actually a fourth-down throw? Because of the short throw to Crayton on first down, and then the spike to stop the clock on second, Romo had just two more chances to fire the ball into the end zone.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]The question is did he know that? After his fourth-down toss, Romo didn’t immediately leave the field and in fact, he was telling his teammates to huddle up. He then pointed to the officials for clarification. It was probably then that he realized the series was over. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]Now, Wade Phillips denied that Romo didn’t know it was fourth down. And since the quarterback didn’t talk to the media today, that question likely won’t be answered.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]But standing down there on the sidelines for the final two minutes, and with that possession occurring right in front of me, I did notice the offense staying on the field longer than usual on a change of possession. For a moment, it looked like there was a flag because they were waiting for answer. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,geneva]So, it’s unclear if that’s exactly what happened with Romo. If so, it would likely be yet another thing the quarterback will have to deal with this week. [/FONT]

http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blog...&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

this is not my thought but when i read it i figured i would throw it out here
and see if anybody here thought Romo might not have known it was 4th down.

for what its worth I hated the spiking the ball and wasting a shot at the end zone.

Lack of preparation. Pansie practices.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
poke;2997140 said:
well it made the yahoo sports page....guess we will hear more about it.
maybe Wednesday Tony can explain.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-Romo-didn-t-know-it-was-fourt?urn=nfl,194346
He can probably explain in more detail, but the 'boys have already provided a statement:

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164411

People will believe whatever they want to believe, so nothing the 'boys say today, Romo says tomorrow will really make a difference. Damage is done.

poke

the older I get the better I was
Reaction score
thanks i just read the other thread where the Boys explained.

Big Dakota

Reaction score
bbgun;2996894 said:
I wonder what Joe was trying to say. Either "You're fat" or "Don't throw it to Hurd."

235-74-Ch2-1_SunOct42009_063255PM.dvr-ms_-_00059.jpg

He was saying, "Wade, you and i don't have a damn thing to do with the Offense so we might as well head to the shower."

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
parcells316;2996206 said:
After looking at this video a few times here's my opinion:

1) Romo unsnaps his chin strap and begins walking off the field. To me, this clearly demonstrates he knew it was 4th down.

2) he looks at the scoreboard then begins motioning to the offense to huddle. Quite possibly the scoreboard may have had the incorrect down on it.

3) Romo then holds up 3 fingers towards the officials. I'm thinking he's trying to confuse them to try and get an extra down. IMO, if he really thought it was 3rd down, he would have ran over and pleaded his case. He simply walked off the field and cursed.

4) I don't live in the DFW area, but is this station a joke? Cause to me there really is nothing here except some local affiliate trying to make something out of nothing. After looking at it I don't think there's anyway he thought he had another play, but was attempting to dupe the officials.

Good call, you win. :)

Tony definitely needs to step up his game, but some of this hate has gotten stupid.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
I just went to profootball crap.com

Last night that idiot said his site will not refer to romo as a franchise quarterback anymore after hearing that romo didnt know what down it was.

Now he is challenging that the cowboys are covering for romo and started off his comments with romo is not as dumb as he looks after all.

This guy is affiliated with NBC. That is just plain ridiculous.

I will never go to that site again. Its amazing that he can be so stupid and careless with his comments and then when realizing he was wrong again insult romo again.

What a joke that guy is.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
He clearly didn't know it was 4th down. That much was obvious. But heres the thing as I sit here...I dont recall what their 4th play was either. I know they spiked it on 1st down to stop the clock. Then they threw 3 in the endzone. I don't recall what the other play was.

Unless the spike at the 3 or 4 yard line, wherever it was, was on 2nd down. I thought that was on first down though.