Did Romo Know It Was Fourth Down?... pics post#62

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2996262 said:
this has to be a joke.
Nope, that's what I'm thinking. And personally, I could care less about Romo. I'd like to see them sit him for a game or 2 like Fat Andy did to McNabb.

But the Head Coach doesn't have that kind of pull with this organization.

bbgun

Benched
Reaction score
Coakleys Dad;2996262 said:
this has to be a joke.

The only thing missing from that post is leprechauns and unicorns.

Anyway, I don't see any news outlets stating definitively that he didn't know it was fourth down, but after spying that videotape, they had every right to ask the (uncomfortable) question. Not doing so would be considered "dereliction of duty" in the the journalistic world. It's not their job to make Tony look better or spare him embarrassment.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2995949 said:
OMG...

Unreal.

What a signature. I can't stand it to be the truth but the truth is still making me crack up after looking at that signature. Tony with the 3 fingers up, the Cowboy way. That's just too much man!

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
[youtube]C2vBfWIcxhw[/youtube]
--------------------------

Just more ammo for his haters.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
would be interested to see what the refs did when he motioned at them?

Personally, i think he might have not known

He threw two quick passes, asks for a huddle, looks to the ref with a questioning look and three fingers, then cusses in disgust as he realizes they are looking back at him like an idiot.

sucks to think that is the way it went

Everlastingxxx

All Star
Reaction score
sm0kie13;2996542 said:
would be interested to see what the refs did when he motioned at them?

You kindof see the ref smile. The camera man was just on espn radio (that shot the video) says the refs had a chuckle after he motioned to them.

JBond

Reaction score
Hoofbite;2996144 said:
Its not a matter of effort. Its a matter of not knowing what was going on.

If you think you have an extra down, going to Sam Hurd 2 times in a row isn't nearly as dumb as going to Sam Hurd 2 times in a row without an extra down.

So yes, it does matter. It matters because if he knew it was 4th down he probably wouldn't have gone to Hurd again. At least I hope not.

Our entire team seems to have brain farts around the goal line.
Two fade passes a couple of weeks ago and now this.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Everlastingxxx;2996554 said:
You kindof see the ref smile. The camera man was just on espn radio (that shot the video) says the refs had a chuckle after he motioned to them that it was 3rd down.

If he didn't know that it was fourth down, he probably was signaling that the previous play was third down, not that the next play was going to be third down.

There's no excuse not to know what down it is, especially in that situation. But at least that would explain why he didn't wait for an open receiver on the last play. If he knew it was fourth down, maybe he would have, instead of throwing toward a well-covered slant.

It'll be interesting to hear what he says when asked about the play -- assuming that anyone bothers to ask him.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2996574 said:
There's no excuse not to know what down it is, especially in that situation. But at least that would explain why he didn't wait for an open receiver on the last play. If he knew it was fourth down, maybe he would have, instead of throwing toward a well-covered slant.

Situational football? Our team doesn't know anything about that. I hear Mike Tomlin preaching about situational football every week on Sirius NFL radio, and how he drills some concepts into his players.

Parcells practiced it, some players never absorbed it...but situational smarts went out the door with him.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Don Corleone;2996586 said:
Situational football? Our team doesn't know anything about that.

Do you remember the fourth-down pass we converted earlier in the drive? Romo didn't just drop back and quickly throw to a well-covered receiver, he kept the play alive as long as possible and waited for someone to come open, because he knew that was our last chance.

What I'm saying is that, supposing he didn't know what down it was at the end when he threw to Hurd for the second time, perhaps if he had known it was fourth down, he would have treated it like the previous fourth-down play and kept it alive until someone actually got open.

In other words, if he did not know it was fourth down, it's not a bad thing only because he wasn't aware of the down when he absolutely should be, it's also a bad thing because it likely affected his decision-making on the play.

Gaede

Reaction score
Doesn't look good that's for sure.

I really want Romo to succeed cause I want the team to succeed; but it seems with every game I just get more and more disillusioned.

JustDezIt

Formerly sm0kie13 ROY
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2996603 said:
Do you remember the fourth-down pass we converted earlier in the drive? Romo didn't just drop back and quickly throw to a well-covered receiver, he kept the play alive as long as possible and waited for someone to come open, because he knew that was our last chance.

What I'm saying is that, supposing he didn't know what down it was at the end when he threw to Hurd for the second time, perhaps if he had known it was fourth down, he would have treated it like the previous fourth-down play and kept it alive until someone actually got open.

In other words, if he did not know it was fourth down, it's not a bad thing only because he wasn't aware of the down when he absolutely should be, it's also a bad thing because it likely affected his decision-making on the play.

I agree. thats why i think he threw it so quickly, had he known i agree he would have probably tried to keep the play alive instead of throwin it so quickly

Don Corleone

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2996603 said:

Oh I have no doubt that he thought it was 3rd down on that play. In fact, I agree in that I thought he was quick to get rid of it, leaving 1 second on the clock as the pass fell incomplete. If it was his last chance, he would normally wait for the play to develop.

Additionally, the personnel package on that play sucked. Witten kept in to block? MartyB on the sideline? I wonder if the whole team, Garrett included, thought it was 3rd down.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2996574 said:
If he didn't know that it was fourth down, he probably was signaling that the previous play was third down, not that the next play was going to be third down.

It'll be interesting to hear what he says when asked about the play -- assuming that anyone bothers to ask him.

Assuming anyone asks him? Are you serious.

Espn radio and the fan cant get enough of this today. they love it when stuff like this happens. They are going to rub it in his face for the rest of his career.

This will be all we hear about for weeks.

Marty b told bob sturm that he didnt know anything about it. At least the ticket has class and actually discusses it like adults, the other stations it is just this big giggle fest. They love it.

this might be all he is asked about.

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2996603 said:

In thinking about the last few plays I thought he was extremely quick with the 3rd down play to Hurd. That play started with :09 on the clock. Kind of like he was trying to get 3 plays off in 9 seconds if need be.

I don't know. I've already given my thoughts on the video which have been flamed here. Who knows what's going on? He's definitely in need of a confidence boost.

Don Corleone

Reaction score
theebs;2996615 said:
Assuming anyone asks him? Are you serious.

Espn radio and the fan cant get enough of this today. they love it when stuff like this happens. They are going to rub it in his face for the rest of his career.

This will be all we hear about for weeks.

Marty b told bob sturm that he didnt know anything about it. At least the ticket has class and actually discusses it like adults, the other stations it is just this big giggle fest. They love it.

this might be all he is asked about.

...and it should be ridiculed. I don't blame the media for having fun with it. The QB of the Dallas Cowboys, or any NFL team for that matter, makes such a mistake?? Not knowing what down it is in such a critical situation?

dest

Reaction score
On one hand, I think that the scoreboard might have had the wrong down. As Romo is walking off the field, he looks up at the scoreboard, sees the incorrect down, thinks he must have been wrong, that there is still really one down remaining.

On the other hand, he sure didn't give that play the normal "4th down, game on the line, run around until someone gets open" effort.

Either way, it's a loss.

Colo

Rocky Mountain High
Reaction score
I was at the game in the endzone seats on that end of the field. The refs sorta came together to talk for a minute immediately after the play which made me hopeful for a second that a flag had been thrown. Not sure what the 3 fingers was about but I suspect Romo thought he had a chance at another play due to a flag.