Did RW have a Lisfranc injury (a fracture of the midfoot)?

jrcowboys

Reaction score
Guys:

Just noticed in an article that RW had a Lisfranc injury (a fracture of the midfoot). I thought he just had something called "Planter Facisits" (Sp?).

Had anyone heard this before? Note: Micky mentioned his foot was a "mess", but didn't define the injury. If this is true it sure explains why he looked slow and had no explosion.

Note: In same article RW says he is still hesitant to "cut", so it must have been pretty serious. Again, the sportswriters don't seem to know anything.

Thoughts?

JR

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
His foot must have been a 'mess' before he got here.

Jerry either didn't do his HW, or he was freaking out when Romo went down and wanted Roy at absolutely all costs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
jrcowboys;2701942 said:
Guys:

Just noticed in an article that RW had a Lisfranc injury (a fracture of the midfoot). I thought he just had something called "Planter Facisits" (Sp?).

Had anyone heard this before? Note: Micky mentioned his foot was a "mess", but didn't define the injury. If this is true it sure explains why he looked slow and had no explosion.

Note: In same article RW says he is still hesitant to "cut", so it must have been pretty serious. Again, the sportswriters don't seem to know anything.

Thoughts?

JR

Can you post the link? All I remember reading about was plantar fasciitis.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/news.cfm?id=3ABC7B31-F1E2-3F7C-7CBA562281704A71

IRVING, Texas - He came to Dallas thinking he would be the other guy, at least for a while.

And not only the other receiver, but even the other Roy Williams, too.

That lasted only 10 games. Now, Williams is not only the only Roy on the team, but he's the No. 1 wide receiver as well. While there were several reasons for the big roster move earlier this month, even Cowboys owner Jerry Jones stated that having Williams in the fold, along with a host of other younger receivers, made it easier to part ways with one Terrell Owens, which occurred on the same day the club waived the safety Roy Williams, too.

Just like that, arriving here to be just another piece in the Cowboys' puzzle, receiver Roy Williams is now front and center.

That's his new role, like it or not. But a good thing for Roy and the Cowboys, he likes it.

"Of course you want to be the guy," Williams said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. "I'm a football player. I love to play this game. I love to play it at a high level. This isn't the most important job on earth or anything, but it's my job. There are only 1,686 football players in the NFL. It's a privilege to be playing in this league. So I'm not going to take it for granted."

And Williams said he finds it rather humorous when he hears critics doubting he can indeed replace Owens as the Cowboys' No.1 receiver.

"I'm not sure why I can't do it all of a sudden," Williams said facetiously. "I (was the No. 1 receiver) at Texas. I did it in Detroit, although no really saw me all the time. And now I'm here in Dallas. Every time I've come to Texas Stadium, I came in there and had big games. So now I'm not sure all of a sudden why people don't think I can do it here with the Cowboys. I know what I can do.

"It's just funny to me. I look forward to hearing people say 'I'm sorry for saying that he couldn't.' That's what I want to hear."

And that's why Williams is heavily involved in the Cowboys' off-season workouts for the last month, which include passing sessions with quarterback Tony Romo and now newly-acquired Jon Kitna, a teammate of Williams in Detroit.

"I think he gets in (Wednesday) or so, or sometime this week," Williams said Tuesday. "Yeah, I can't wait for that. Me and Jon, he can throw it to me wherever I am. He knows where to put it and I know the ball is going to be there. That's where every quarterback-receiver duo needs to get to."

That being said, Williams, like Kitna, is fully aware of the situation. He knows Romo is the Cowboys' starting quarterback and he understands that getting on the same page as No. 9 is his biggest off-season priority.

"It's going to be very important. We had a safety net with T.O.," Williams said. "Romo and T.O. had some good chemistry together. But he's not here anymore. So now, we're trying to work on the chemistry. And if I'm going to be the No. 1 guy, you have to have chemistry with your quarterback."

Williams also knows just because he's working with the quarterback all summer doesn't ensure the offense will be clicking right off the bat.

"Oh yeah. It takes time. We may not even have it in the off-season," said Williams. "It could be all the way through training camp before we really get it all down."

But it doesn't sound as if Williams is too concerned about meshing with Romo, or even reuniting with Kitna.

What does have Williams somewhat disturbed is the foot injury that bothered him all last season. Williams didn't miss a game last year after being traded from Lions, but he did say the Lisfranc injury (a fracture of the midfoot) still lingers a little - more in his mind than physically.

"I'm pretty healthy. I'm running around with the other guys," Williams said. "I haven't cut yet. I'm just running straight. I'm kind of scared a little bit to cut."

However, Williams said he believes that's just natural.

"Oh yeah, anyone who is coming off an injury, would be scared to do something you haven't done in a while," he said. "If you have ankle surgery, you're going to be scared to cut for a while, until the first time you do it, and then you say, 'OK, it's fine.'"

Clearly, the Cowboys as an organization aren't too concerned that Williams will return to full strength.

That was evident in the decision to release Owens earlier this month, a move that shocked several players, including Williams, who admitted he was "a little disappointed" in not only seeing T.O. cut, but signing with the Bills.

"I was very surprised. I felt we could be that 1-2 duo," Williams said. "I thought we were going to be able to work on things in the off-season. But that's not the case. He's going up to Buffalo now and he's going to have a pretty good duo with Lee Evans. He's a pretty good receiver, too. I'm probably going to look at how they do up there and figure we could've done the same up there."

With that 1-2 punch in mind, Williams added that he wouldn't mind seeing the Cowboys take a chance at another established veteran, such as Marvin Harrison or even Torry Holt.

In fact, Williams was a teammate in Detroit of safety Terrence Holt, the younger brother of the former Rams All-Pro receiver and has

"I played with Torry's brother and I called him and asked him if he would come to Dallas," Williams said. "I certainly wouldn't mind playing with one of those two Hall-of-Famers."

But don't mistake Williams' welcoming of players such as Holt or Harrison as a lack of confidence for the younger Cowboys receivers such as Patrick Crayton, Miles Austin, Sam Hurd or Isaiah Stanback.

Williams knows the Cowboys will need those players to perform at a high level.

"No question about it. I know what these guys can do," said Williams, who signed a five-year, $45 million extension after his trade last October. "(Crayton) has shown what he can do opposite of T.O. as the No. 2 receiver. Now it's time for Miles to step up and be the guy. It's going to be a good competition. In fact, I don't even know if you can call myself the No. 1 guy. I'm going to have to come in and work for it."

Whether he calls himself that or not, the Cowboys are certainly banking on him, both literally and figuratively, to be that guy.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PLANTAR FASCIITIS

What is it? The plantar fascia (FASH-ee-ah) is a long band of fibers that go from the bottom of the heel bone to the beginning of the toes. The plantar fascia helps support your arches and provides shock absorption for the bottom of the foot. Plantar fasciitis (fas-ee-EYE-tis) is inflammation (swelling and redness) of the plantar fascia. It is a common cause of heel pain, especially in older adults and athletes such as runners. Healing time for plantar fasciitis depends on the activities or problems that caused it. It may take weeks to months of treatment for your plantar fasciitis to go away.

adamknite

Reaction score
Isn't a Lefranc injury usually season ending? Or does it just depend on when it happens?

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2701957 said:
What does have Williams somewhat disturbed is the foot injury that bothered him all last season. Williams didn't miss a game last year after being traded from Lions, but he did say the Lisfranc injury (a fracture of the midfoot) still lingers a little - more in his mind than physically.

"I'm pretty healthy. I'm running around with the other guys," Williams said. "I haven't cut yet. I'm just running straight. I'm kind of scared a little bit to cut."

However, Williams said he believes that's just natural.

"Oh yeah, anyone who is coming off an injury, would be scared to do something you haven't done in a while," he said. "If you have ankle surgery, you're going to be scared to cut for a while, until the first time you do it, and then you say, 'OK, it's fine.'"
Hmmm....I heard that his injury had nothing to do with his play.

Side note: That first sentence sounds like it was was written by a 3rd grader trying to sound smart.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2701966 said:
yeah, you heard it from him
No, I heard him trying to be a tough guy, not making excuses, in an interview with a camera facing him. You don't have an injury like that and not have it affect you.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2701969 said:
No, I heard him trying to be a tough guy, not making excuses, in an interview with a camera facing him.

no, that's what you want to believe

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2701978 said:
there's no need to be cutting right now
Get your head out.

head_in_sand.jpg

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
it's more like this, theo

http://triton.*************/Himg72/scaled.php?server=72&filename=37265176.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2701985 said:
it's more like this, theo

http://triton.*************/Himg72/scaled.php?server=72&filename=37265176.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480
You're right. What was I thinking? Obviously when a proven wide receiver transfers to a better offense and severely under-performs it has nothing to do with the actual injury to his foot that we know he has, which months later, is still limiting him.

Wait...

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2701998 said:
You're right. What was I thinking? Obviously when a proven wide receiver transfers to a better offense and severely under-performs it has nothing to do with the actual injury to his foot that we know he has, which months later, is still limiting him.

Wait...

injuredz!!!!1loz

he ran poor routes and Romo didn't trust him, end of story

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
JerryAdvocate;2702001 said:
injuredz!!!!1loz

he ran poor routes and Romo didn't trust him, end of story
And this is based on what? Him saying that? So you believe him then and not now? Oh okay, gotcha. Hey, feel free to believe what you want to believe, even if it's not based on anything but your own suspicion.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;2702004 said:
And this is based on what? Him saying that? So you believe him then and not now? Oh okay, gotcha. Hey, feel free to believe what you want to believe, even if it's not based on anything but your own suspicion.

and the fact that Roy was wide-open in Tony's area, in the endzone, and Romo doesn't look for him, or the fact that Romo didn't look for him all year, most of his catches came from Brad Johnson for crying out loud, in fact his only TD came from him

you want to believe that we're not an underachieving team, and injuries are what doomed us, not our perennial underachievers

btw, Roy's game is not based on making alot of cuts anyways