Did the 49ers drop out of the equation in NFC?

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Uh no? They won 33-17 yesterday.

I don’t understand why everyone thinks they’re suddenly out of contention. Jimmy G wasn’t even really the reason they were heading to the playoffs anyways. Their defense, coaching, tough attitude, and run game is what was keeping them fueled. That backup looked pretty serviceable to me last night. Maybe not as good as Jimmy G but certainly not this huge downgrade everyone is making him out to be.

Even if they drop a few games, their division isn’t really that tough. The Seahawks are their only real competitors right now and I’m not sure how they’re gonna hold up cause they’ve looked wobbly these last few weeks.

don’t count them out.

Yobwocs

Reaction score
Absolutely not. Their defense is elite and they can make top QBs look pretty bad.

Their Quarterback just needs to get the ball to his playmakers. He's rarely asked to throw the ball over 10 yards. It's not a difficult job. He might be asked to make 3 or 4 hard 3rd downs per game, but the Miami game showed he can make those plays. He doesn't really need to make all of them tho - just a few key plays per game.

If he has to play from behind, tho it's certainly over for SF. He's the type of QB who can go cold in one stretch of play.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
With a defense and run game that good, no. They’re legit.

Jimmy G going down will have a bigger impact than I think many people realize, though. The difference between him and a 7th round rookie is going to be massive, barring that Purdy doesn’t have a Cinderella season.

cnuball21

Reaction score
They have the best defense in football IMO so they’re still in contention.

Jimmy G going down helps our chances if we play them but priority #1 will still be stopping their rushing attack.

75boyz

Reaction score
I don't think drop out because I think Shanahan is good enough to scheme up an effective plan.
They still are a tough and physical team to play against.

But yes, the loss of Jimmy G did lessen their chances imo.

RoboQB

Reaction score
As I stop and think about this it hit me.

SF just lost the QB they traded for, who was only playing because the
QB they drafted to be the franchise was lost early in the season and
they are now marching towards the SB with, uh, (checks notes)
Brock Purdy, Mr. Irrelevant.
Honestly, it would be hilarious if they win it all.

In reality, this brings them back to the Cowboys a lil' bit.

John813

Reaction score
49ers are a team that could win with a busdriver.

Jimmy G was a busdriver. He wasn't anything special. Their offense lives and dies with McC, Deebo and Kittle. Add in Aiyuk and Mitchell for good measure.

conner01

Reaction score
I don't think drop out because I think Shanahan is good enough to scheme up an effective plan.
They still are a tough and physical team to play against.

But yes, the loss of Jimmy G did lessen their chances imo.
I agree
They aren’t out but the road does get much tougher without jimmy G
In that system he’s a really good fit
But I expect them to go out and try to find a QB who at least has some experience
One game of success doesn’t mean this kid can do it again. Ask the jets about what one game from a QB means lol

meddleroidz

Reaction score
49ers are so overrated, the team has been bad without jimmy G, hes like their luck charm, watch the 9ers without jimmy. the eagles would blow them out of the water.