Did the Cowboys Get Better or Worse After This Draft?

Pass2Run

Reaction score
You can count subtracting players like Cooper, Collins, Wilson, Turner, et al.

I'm asking you if we're better or worse after the draft, including after the free agent moves we've made compared to last year.

I think we'll be a little better on offense, mostly because of Smith, and Tolbert.

And I think Sam Williams will make the defense in the top 5, especially if we solidify our LB and secondary positions. The more I look at this line, and the guys coming back from last year the more I like the defense.

Havic

Reaction score
It just depends on how many draft picks we hit on. Offense will be a little worse, mostly because I believe the O-line will be inconsistent.

Defense will be improved.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If this team improves by way of the draft, it will, undoubtedly, take time for the benefits to take full effect. I'd have to say we'll likely be penalized for losing some of our best players to aid our success, especially on offense. Hopefully, the defense might respond faster.

Defensively, I think we'll be better off, however, with the defensive players that we've added. Of course, it might also take time for the full effect to take place, although, a far lesser period of time than the offense. The game performances will determine the results, no doubt.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If this team improves by way of the draft, it will, undoubtedly, take time for the benefits to take full effect. I'd have to say we'll likely be penalized for losing some of our best players to aid our success, especially on offense. Hopefully, the defense might respond faster.

Defensively, I think we'll be better off, however, with the defensive players that we've added. Of course, it might also take time for the full effect to take place, although, a lesser period of time than the offense. The game performances will determine the results, no doubt.

You can also count potential improvement from second year players, which I am counting on.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Defensively, I think we'll be better off, however, with the defensive players that we've added. Of course, it might also take time for the full effect to take place, although, a far lesser period of time than the offense. The game performances will determine the results, no doubt.
You so conservative these days Bull.... :D

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You can also count potential improvement from second year players, which I am counting on.

I think the preponderance of more young players will render our early games more difficult to deal with. As the season wears on, we should probably see better results with these youngsters coming into their own. Hopefully, the 2nd year players will assert themselves in a timely fashion. By year's end, things should improve quite dramatically, imho. I expect the offense to be somewhat shakier than the defense, to be honest.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I think we are weaker on offense and theoretically better on defense.

But there is no way of knowing until they actually play a game.
If we get something going with Pollard and Washington, giving some nice intermediate drop offs, here are two dynamic runners in space once they get the ball in their hands.
I believe Washington has found a very good fit here, and will help this running game, same with TurpNtime.
Work speed inside and hit a homerun when CD gets 5 yards separation because DBs are having to drop down in coverage.
Short intermediate routes can benefit the running game, well replace it for a lot of teams in this league, just ask Bill.
I love having a head of steam Zeke with good legs running off tackle, but wear the defense down a bit with hands out of the backfield, we start going a little 12 personal and find the right combo of TEs for that role and this offense can have plenty of potential.
There should be no excuses.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You so conservative these days Bull.... :D

I'm inclined to be more conservative than I ordinarily would, with so many youngsters being thrust into action these days. I think things will be somewhat difficult early-on in the season and gradually get better as better experience takes over. We will need to be patient until things settle down, I think. I'm hoping the defense will come into its own much quicker than the offense, however.

Last edited:

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm inclined to be more conservative than I ordinarily would, with so many youngsters being thrust into action these days. I think things will be somewhat difficult early-on in the season and gradually get better as better experience takes over. We will need to be patient until things settle down, I think.
Sorry to disappoint you my dear friend, but we are fixing to open up a can of whoop @$$ on the league.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I think the preponderance of more young players will render our early games more difficult to deal with. As the season wears on, we should probably see better results with these youngsters coming into their own. Hopefully, the 2nd year players will assert themselves in a timely fashion. By year's end, things should improve quite dramatically, imho. I expect the offense to be somewhat shakier than the defense, to be honest.

Agree. It's already looking good on the 2nd year players front. Not that I'm buying all the hype about being in shape. But the thing is, it was really penalties that beat us, and we have a lot of the same pieces we had last year. Just now, the 2nd year guys are coming in lighter (or heavier), stronger, more experienced.

Parsons being a bit lighter is going to make him that much better.

Osa being bigger will help, etcetera.

Agree, though. I like the strategy of fielding a younger team rather than aging players like the old days.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Sorry to disappoint you my dear friend, but we are fixing to open up a can of whoop @$$ on the league.

I'd like nothing more than to see your expectations come to be as quickly as you might expect. I'm prepared for a gradual improvement to be the case and many good things to be a likely experience as this season progresses. Patience will be our best friend this year, I think. You don't disappoint me in the least, though, my friend. I respect you far too much for that. :cool:

Last edited:

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Looking at each position where there is change:

***WR - lost Cooper and Wilson. I think the WR position will be fine once Gallup is back. IMO, Tolbert is going to be a very viable part of the WR corps. He’s going to help and he’ll do it from game one.

Lamb
Gallup
Tolbert
Washington
Brown

That group should be more than fine. I think that TE will be better than last season and they’ll add some receptions to help the offense as well.

The one caveat is until Gallup is back. He is very good and will be missed early on.

***LG - I think that Tyler Smith is going to be better than Williams was. Much better. He will have some growing pains but his overall play will be a big improvement over what was at LG last year.

***RT - Last year the OL played better with Steele in there than with Collins. La’el is more talented than Steele, but he doesn’t care as much (IMO), isn’t as reliable and isn’t as focused or mentally tough as Steele is. If Steele plays better than Collins, does it matter if he isn’t quite as talented?

***RDE - Gregory was the only one of this group that I didn’t want to lose but I feel like Williams, along with Armstrong and Fowler will easily replace what Gregory gave the defense. I think there is a chance that that group could be significantly better than What Randy gave us. IMO there is a chance that Williams alone might provide more pressure on the QB, all by himself. He has a very high ceiling. Throw in the amount of money that Gregory would have cost and it makes the new group look even better.

So, I guess I feel like we will be okay at all of those spots. Smith, Tolbert and Williams all have a ton of room to grow as the season moves on and I think they’ll be something that is among the most valuable assets in the NFL: productive players making rookie wages.

I just don’t see where the team is really going to be hurt by replacing those players. We’ve already seen Steele at RT and he’s fine. The other’s, IMO, are going to be fine as well.

Also, don’t forget the mental part of replacing those guys with guys who play aggressive, tough football and love to play. Effort, reliability, toughness… all of those matter more than people realize.

This doesn’t mean that the team will win it all… but I don’t think losing all those players means that they won’t.

Last edited:

Scotman

Reaction score
I think it's all going to come down to the O-line. I feel good about every other position after the draft. But we are counting on some completely unproven guys to step in and be above average on that o-line. I like the guys we have, but I'm admittedly a bit anxious about whether or not they can get it done.