Did the Cowboys Get Better or Worse After This Draft?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Until the season unfolds no way of knowing . Personally the one player I wish the Cowboys kept was Cedric Wilson . Getting rid of Cooper to me set up the Jones family to pony up and really for a reasonable salary bring Wilson back .

Now I’m excited to see Tolbert step up and contribute fill some of the gap . Not sure about James Washington hope he’s not injury prone .

I do think Tyler Smith Sam Williams and Ferguson will all contribute immediately. Overall I’m optimistic.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
You can count subtracting players like Cooper, Collins, Wilson, Turner, et al.

I'm asking you if we're better or worse after the draft, including after the free agent moves we've made compared to last year.

I think we'll be a little better on offense, mostly because of Smith, and Tolbert.

And I think Sam Williams will make the defense in the top 5, especially if we solidify our LB and secondary positions. The more I look at this line, and the guys coming back from last year the more I like the defense.
Sure they got better but so did most of the NFL, every team got draft picks...
Now did they improve in free agency compared to other teams ?..
I think not.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys were 19th in D in 2021. You believe swapping Randy Gregory for Sam Williams moves them up 14 spots in his rookie year?
Injuries were significant in 2021.
DLaw, Gregory, Gallimore.

LVE had the fluidity of Frankenstein in game 1 but looked almost like his rookie self by the end of the season.

A practice squad DT played hundreds of snaps.

Neal the veteran Safety played LB and was obviously not a LB.

Kazee at FS got playing time because he knew the scheme but can't tackle and can't win a jump ball.

I think rookie Odighi played the most snaps on the DL.

Dan Quinn had to scramble to put together a defense from players that didn't know him. Now he has a core that had over a year with him.

DE Sam Williams with rave reviews from teammates/coaches/media.

DE Fowler is a very good pass rusher if he does not have to play the run on base downs.

Hooker coming into the season healthy is an upgrade as FS.

LVE healthy.

Jabril Cox looks like the perfect LB for the role Neal played in 2021 (coverage LB).

They have some legit size at 1tech DT with Bohanna and Ridgeway.

Odighi exceeded expectations as a rookie. Now he knows what to expect.

Depth in the secondary. DBs 5 to 9 look better than DBs 1 to 4 in some years the past decade.

Like all teams, injuries are the key issue.
- If they stay reasonably healthy, they should be really good.

If the offense runs the ball more consistently then that will help the defense. The talent upgrade with Tyler Smith over Connor Williams is like replacing Cole Beasley with prime years Randy Moss.

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score

LVE had the fluidity of Frankenstein in game 1 but looked almost like his rookie self by the end of the season.

Kazee at FS got playing time because he knew the scheme but can't tackle and can't win a jump ball.

Dan Quinn had to scramble to put together a defense from players that didn't know him. Now he has a core that had over a year with him.

DE Fowler is a very good pass rusher if he does not have to play the run on base downs.

LVE healthy.

Jabril Cox looks like the perfect LB for the role Neal played in 2021 (coverage LB).

Depth in the secondary. DBs 5 to 9 look better than DBs 1 to 4 in some years the past decade.

If the offense runs the ball more consistently then that will help the defense. The talent upgrade with Tyler Smith over Connor Williams is like replacing Cole Beasley with prime years Randy Moss.

I think my biggest disconnect with that statement is The comparison made. There’s a huge valley between “the D will be much improved” and “we’re now better than those teams making deep playoff runs”

Rams have all-pros at every area of their D, from Bobby Wagner to Aaron Donald, Jalen Ramsey to Leonard Floyd; Greg Gaines is a beast of a nose tackle and a big reason why no one could run on them last year. This is a fringe top-5 defense, plausibly doesn’t make it. To say Dallas is top 5 is to say they’re better than the Rams.

Denver had a monster D last year in one of the hardest divisions in football. 2nd fewest yards given up in the entire league despite playing Derek Carr, Patrick Mahomes, and Justin Herbert 6 times. Russell Wilson will not only improve their passing game, but he’ll greatly open up their running game and stop all the 7 and 8 man boxes from killing their drives… meaning The D will stay off the field and give up even fewer yards and points overall. This is probably not a top 5 defense in 2022. To say Dallas is top 5 is to say they’re better than the Broncos.

SF has had one of the best Dlines in the NFL the last 4 years. Littered with top 10 picks, so many in fact that they started dumping them. Solomon Thomas is now a Jet, Deforest Buckner was traded for a 1st round pick and immediately made another pro bowl as a colt. This is how you make 2 NFCCGs with Jimmy Garoppolo, they can suffocate any offense. Swept the rams last year and nearly beat them in the playoffs. This is probably not a top 5 defense in 2021. To say Dallas is top 5 is to say… you get the idea.

Cowboys are going to be better than all these defenses because of some rookies and players with little to no experience? It would be a huge achievement to even make it top 10 in today’s defensive landscape.

Last edited:

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

LVE healthy.

:hammer:

JBS

Reaction score
Our roster is good, outside of having a slightly above average QB, which makes it difficult to get it done these days.

I'll change my mind on that when Dak starts beating teams with .500 records, at least %30 more of his games. Like, split the difference with Tony, who had lessor teams. That should be Dak's number one goal this year: beat the teams with better records.

But that said, I personally think a slightly above average, bus driver-type like Dak can get it done. I don't mean that as an insult. I'm saying I think we have a good enough team, especially now that the defense seems to be improving, that it's possible for Dak to drive the bus to the SB. I'm not saying it's likely, but this team could win 3-4 out of 26 years. Maybe not every year, but this team has enough to win. That's why I think the window is short.

Dak is the only QB who has a shot through this window. Because no other QB we have can get it done, and we won't be bringing anyone in to challenge him until 2024. But that's not to say others with slightly less or more talent can't also get it done with the same team.

As others have said, the team will win and lose and go as Dak goes. That's pretty much true. I was just adding my two cents about why that's true. That's all.

I think you are very much overrating this roster and team. They’re not nearly as good as you think

Aven8

Reaction score
Did we get better? That’s unknown. Are these rookies going to be any good? That’s unknown as well.

I hope so.

ESisback

Reaction score
Defense: I say our front seven will be much better for several reasons. Although we lost Gregory, his sack production will not only be replaced, but improved upon. Armstrong SHOULD contribute more, we added Fowler and drafted Williams. In the middle, aside from Gallimore and Odighizuwa making bigger contributions, Quinn working Golston inside, Big Bo entering year two, and the drafting of Ridgeway, I’m hard pressed NOT to be hopeful. At LB, a lighter, faster Parsons is entering year two, and Cox is back.

Offense: WR is still a question mark, IMHO, but with Zeke healthier and Tyler Smith at LG, maybe less spectacular, but more consistently solid. We HOPE!

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I'm asking you if we're better or worse after the draft, including after the free agent moves we've made compared to last year.

I think we'll be a little better on offense, mostly because of Smith, and Tolbert.

And I think Sam Williams will make the defense in the top 5, especially if we solidify our LB and secondary positions. The more I look at this line, and the guys coming back from last year the more I like the defense.

I think your Kool-Aid expectations are extreme at best.
These are rookies and good things take time.....
NO we did not get better and passing TD will be a luxury this coming season....

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

I would say, Mr. College grad, that we are better for the future if not immediate impact.
Personnel-wise we have lost more than we have gained. That's a fact, Mac!
But our 1st-round and 2nd-round picks have much promise. So much that it makes Jerry look like a football guy.
By a squeeker, we are better --- in an existential, rosy-future kinda way.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Defense: I say our front seven will be much better for several reasons. Although we lost Gregory, his sack production will not only be replaced, but improved upon. Armstrong SHOULD contribute more, we added Fowler and drafted Williams. In the middle, aside from Gallimore and Odighizuwa making bigger contributions, Quinn working Golston inside, Big Bo entering year two, and the drafting of Ridgeway, I’m hard pressed NOT to be hopeful. At LB, a lighter, faster Parsons is entering year two, and Cox is back.

Offense: WR is still a question mark, IMHO, but with Zeke healthier and Tyler Smith at LG, maybe less spectacular, but more consistently solid. We HOPE!

Intriguing, good fellow. But I dunna quite see all your optimism re the defensive 7.
The thing is, John Ridgeway has big potential based on his ferocious play at Soueeeee U at Arkansas.
towering. Ominous. Watch him!

DuncanIso

Reaction score

im still waiting on the 21 draft class.

Without Micah, it’s a bust.

Osa has been a starter at least.

Blackrain

Reaction score
From what I can see the cowboys got rid of players big on pay and short on desire.

We certainly have some question marks that won't be answered until the rubber hits the road.

One thing that we are fairly sure of is that the teams in our division got better.

The eagles have solid trenches we are lucky they don't have a better quarterback. All I can say is our center better have improved over the off season or our quarterback better be able to run like he did in his rookie season

Cowboyny

Reaction score

2 steps back, eventually 3 steps forward. Rookies need developmental time.

morasp

Reaction score
WR ? The big question is how much did Cooper impact the defense's coverage and can Lamb dictate coverage. Tolbert should at least replace Wilson's production.
RB better Zeke was averaging 4.8 YPC before the Chiefs game injury, Pollard is in a contract year
TE better Ferguson should be a good TE2 which will allow more 12 personnel (our most efficient formation)
OL better Tyler Smith > Williams, Biadasz has improved every year, Steele > Collins. We need to find a Swing tackle.
QB better Already hearing reports that Dak's velocity is back
DE better Gregory was part of the problem with our run defense. On a per game basis Fowler had better stats than Gregory in run and pass defense. Williams should make an impact.
DT better Gallimore and Hill both look healthy and quicker than last year. Look for Odighizuwa to make a second year improvement.
LB better Cox > Neal, LVE looks heathier/quicker this year, Parsons > last years Parsons
CB better all starters returning and a lot of competition
S better Hooker is a very good safety when healthy and he was coming off an injury that takes a while to be 100% Kearse was a big surprise last year

Last edited:

ESisback

Reaction score
Intriguing, good fellow. But I dunna quite see all your optimism re the defensive 7.
The thing is, John Ridgeway has big potential based on his ferocious play at Soueeeee U at Arkansas.
towering. Ominous. Watch him!

Very intrigued by Ridgeway.

Creeper

Reaction score
For 2022 I think the answer is worse.

Is Tyler Smith as a rookie playing a new position going to be better than Connor Williams? No one knows yet, but I would say the chances are slim. Maybe his ceiling is higher in a year or two but as a rookie the odds are he will be Connor Williams, and given his college record, that could also mean all the penalties too.

Is anyone going to argue that Tolbert as a rookie will be as good as Amari Cooper? We would be happy if he was just as good as Ced Wilson.

Then the question is, will Steele be better than La'el Collins? I think not. He could be improved after another offseason, but I don't think that will be the case.

How about Sam Williams. Is he going to be as good as Randy Gregory? I think this is the one case where Williams at times may be a good enough replacement given his speed. But he is still a rookie so there is going to be some learning early in the season.

Finally, we have to look at the 2nd and 3rd year players and assess their improvement. I expect Odighizuwa to improve. I am anticipating a good season from LVE. Jabril Cox will shine, IMO. Parsons is Parsons and it would be hard to expect a better season from him than we got last year. Biadasz needs to improve but I think he has a low ceiling, honestly. In the meantime, Will Tyron regress after another year? Zeke?

This year looks to me like a year of standing still, which means everyone else gained on them.