Did the Cowboys Get Better or Worse After This Draft?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You can count subtracting players like Cooper, Collins, Wilson, Turner, et al.

I'm asking you if we're better or worse after the draft, including after the free agent moves we've made compared to last year.

I think we'll be a little better on offense, mostly because of Smith, and Tolbert.

And I think Sam Williams will make the defense in the top 5, especially if we solidify our LB and secondary positions. The more I look at this line, and the guys coming back from last year the more I like the defense.

This team is better constructed, better type of players for chemistry, better cap wise now and going forward over the next couple years.

The young talent we brought in needs to develop.

But this is not ONLY about THIS year. We got rid of those players contracts over the next couple years.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Game performances will dictated answers.
This.
At this point, anyone saying with certainty that this year’s draft class is great is just a fan statement. Or fan hope. Nothing wrong with fans having hope but until we see the draft class of 2022 for at least two seasons in regular season competition, we won’t know definitively that’s it’s a great class. They haven’t even practiced in full pads yet, lol.

conner01

Reaction score
Every team gets better from the draft
The draft is one part of getting better
What you lost has nothing to do with the draft
Every team gets better by adding players
The question is did you maximize you opportunities?
As for the off season as a whole you get better or worse by losing players, adding players in FA and the draft
Overall I don’t know that we got better right now but long term we may very well have
You aren’t gonna know till the games are played and some you won’t know for a few years
An example is WR
If Tolbert can be a solid player, Washington a solid player, lamb can thrive as the man then at worst you stayed equal as far as in field results. But you got those results for less money

conner01

Reaction score
This team is better constructed, better type of players for chemistry, better cap wise now and going forward over the next couple years.

The young talent we brought in needs to develop.

But this is not ONLY about THIS year. We got rid of those players contracts over the next couple years.
Chemistry, attitudes, and such are so important in the game
I’d rather have a good player, playing as a team and inspiring his team mates to be better, than a great player doing on his own and doing nothing to help the team as a whole

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It wasn't the draft that made the Cowboys better or worse. It was Jerry's butchery of the roster and Stephen's inability to sign suitable replacements in free agency. The Cowboys are worse and facing a harder schedule.

The roster was not butchered. And we don't need no stinkin' FA's. :laugh:

Harder schedule does not mean they will lose those games. Those teams also went through the normal off season gains and losses of players. Do you think GB is better off losing most of AR's passing buddies?
The Bengals went from 4-12 to the SB. So it is not impossible for a 12-5 team to improve and get there either. As explained by @AsthmaField in his post comparing losses and gains of players. At worse, it evened out with a big upside.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The roster was not butchered. And we don't need no stinkin' FA's. :laugh:

Harder schedule does not mean they will lose those games. Those teams also went through the normal off season gains and losses of players. Do you think GB is better off losing most of AR's passing buddies?
The Bengals went from 4-12 to the SB. So it is not impossible for a 12-5 team to improve and get there either. As explained by @AsthmaField in his post comparing losses and gains of players. At worse, it evened out with a big upside.
Interesting, you don't consider cutting Amari Cooper, Randy Gregory, and La'el Collins in the same off-season as a butchery. Perhaps we have a difference of opinion, which is fine. I didn't say a harder schedule means they will lose those games so please don't imply it. Wins will be harder to come by, however. AR has all he needs to be a serious threat to the Cowboys. The Bengals cut a head coach that stifled them for too long to get where they are now. They also hired a legit franchise QB. Please recognize these great moves the Bengals made before you go foolishly comparing them with Jerry Jones Cowboys. You don't sound so football smart when you fail to do that.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Interesting, you don't consider cutting Amari Cooper, Randy Gregory, and La'el Collins in the same off-season as a butchery. Perhaps we have a difference of opinion, which is fine. I didn't say a harder schedule means they will lose those games so please don't imply it. Wins will be harder to come by, however. AR has all he needs to be a serious threat to the Cowboys. The Bengals cut a head coach that stifled them for too long to get where they are now. They also hired a legit franchise QB. Please recognize these great moves the Bengals made before you go foolishly comparing them with Jerry Jones Cowboys. You don't sound so football smart when you fail to do that.

Wow. Ok then. But I am football smart. Losing Cooper, Gregory, Collins is no worse than players the lost in the past.
This is actually addition by subtraction. They were replaced.
So don't go calling someone a fool and questioning football smarts when what you claim is not all that smart either.

And Dak is pretty dang good. Where do you expect them to get a Joe Burrow at? I never said Bengals did not make great moves and did not compare them to Jerry. But feel free to make things up.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Interesting, you don't consider cutting Amari Cooper, Randy Gregory, and La'el Collins in the same off-season as a butchery. Perhaps we have a difference of opinion, which is fine.

Without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, on the surface it appears Jerry may have overreacted in dumping Cooper. As for Gregory and Collins, I don't blame him for ridding the Cowboys of their presence. Dallas was plenty patient with both of them for years, and you never knew what they were going to do next.

How well they did in filling those holes via the draft remains to be seen.

kskboys

Reaction score
Wow. Ok then. But I am football smart. Losing Cooper, Gregory, Collins is no worse than players the lost in the past.
So don't go calling someone a fool and questioning football smarts when what you claim is not all that smart either.

And Dak is pretty dang good. Where do you expect them to get a Joe Burrow at? I never said Bengals did not make great moves and did not compare them to Jerry. But feel free to make things up.
Yup. Moves that had to be made to become contenders in the future. Those guys were not going to get us "there".

Dak is a decent QB. Now, if they'd just stop acting as if he's the love child of Brady and Rodgers and build a team around him that complements his skills and abilities.

kskboys

Reaction score
Without knowing what goes on behind the scenes, on the surface it appears Jerry may have overreacted in dumping Cooper. As for Gregory and Collins, I don't blame him for ridding the Cowboys of their presence. Dallas was plenty patient with both of them for years, and you never knew what they were going to do next.

I didn't mind the Cooper cutting as I considered it a salary dump, and a good move for the future. Maybe I'm biased because I thought the trade was asinine from the start!!!

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

There you go sounding football stupid again when you're actually not football stupid. Some players they have lost in previous off-seasons have been pretty bad so this off-season can be pretty bad and still fit within your description of the off-season. (No worse than players they lost in the past) The phrase, "addition by subtraction" is a philosophical concept. It's not a mathematical real thing. The Cowboys didn't make those moves expecting to get better without filling those voids with other players. In reality, it is addition through subtraction then more addition. Learn the difference between being foolish and acting foolishly, acting not football smart as opposed to actually being not football smart. There is a nuance there that you are not getting.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

There is nothing there I can dispute, without knowing what goes on behind the scenes. Good one. :thumbup:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I had to choose, I would say worse but that is on paper and without a real down of football played.

They lost 4 starters and replaced them with rookies except for Fowler.

The soph players are really going to need to step up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There you go sounding football stupid again when you're actually not football stupid. Some players they have lost in previous off-seasons have been pretty bad so this off-season can be pretty bad and still fit within your description of the off-season. (No worse than players they lost in the past) The phrase, "addition by subtraction" is a philosophical concept. It's not a mathematical real thing. The Cowboys didn't make those moves expecting to get better without filling those voids with other players. In reality, it is addition through subtraction then more addition. Learn the difference between being foolish and acting foolishly, acting not football smart as opposed to actually being not football smart. There is a nuance there that you are not getting.

I stopped reading your response after the first sentence.
All you want to do is insult. Not worth my time. And you are wrong.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The results of the draft (and the undrafted FA haul) will be answered in TC and the regular season games to follow. Stay tuned! :grin:

I honestly believe things will be tough at the outset of the regular season and should hopefully improve as the season gets underway.

This season's version of the Cowboys will be one where youngsters will be tested early, with added experience to pay dividends later.

Last edited: