Did the Cowboys just repeat the worst trade in franchise history?

waving monkey

Reaction score
So, apparently the Cowboys have an itch to scratch every ten years or so. Monday the team traded the team’s 2019 first-round draft pick to the Oakland Raiders for wide receiver Amari Cooper. This comes exactly ten years and eight days after the team sent future first-, third- and sixth-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. That trade came eight and a half years after the team sent two first-round draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver Joey Galloway.

Cowboy fans are desperately hoping this version turns out better than the previous two. The Joey Galloway trade was rated as the sixth worst move in franchise history while the Roy Williams trade is widely regarded as the single worst trade in franchise history.

Those two moves share many similarities with the acquisition of Amari Cooper:

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
So, apparently the Cowboys have an itch to scratch every ten years or so. Monday the team traded the team’s 2019 first-round draft pick to the Oakland Raiders for wide receiver Amari Cooper. This comes exactly ten years and eight days after the team sent future first-, third- and sixth-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. That trade came eight and a half years after the team sent two first-round draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver Joey Galloway.

Cowboy fans are desperately hoping this version turns out better than the previous two. The Joey Galloway trade was rated as the sixth worst move in franchise history while the Roy Williams trade is widely regarded as the single worst trade in franchise history.

mr Monkey---- amari has 2 pro-bowl 1,000 yd seasons...he is fast and strong and a great route runner...he deciphers defenses...and he is not the usual "Diva" high maintenance player....defenses will have to game plan for him..which will ease things for Zeke and other receivers and Dak...He is better than any of the first round talent in 2019 and is only 6 months older than Calvin Ridley...he is only 24..so its like we got our first round pick early and he has experience and success already....yes we paid a lot to get him...but i applaud bold move by cowboys to try and win the East this year

plymkr

Reaction score
mr Monkey---- amari has 2 pro-bowl 1,000 yd seasons...he is fast and strong and a great route runner...he deciphers defenses...and he is not the usual "Diva" high maintenance player....defenses will have to game plan for him..which will ease things for Zeke and other receivers and Dak...He is better than any of the first round talent in 2019 and is only 6 months older than Calvin Ridley...he is only 24..so its like we got our first round pick early and he has experience and success already....yes we paid a lot to get him...but i applaud bold move by cowboys to try and win the East this year
I agree with everything you said....except the game planning part. I don't think any defensive coordinator has to gameplan for anything Garrett and Linehan do. My dog, who has bad hips, could stop our passing attack because even Chewie knows the plays before they happen. I'd be more excited about the trade if we had coaches that could use him. As Bill Parcells would say, you can have the greatest groceries in the world but if you're a bad chef then your dinner will suck.

Praxit

Reaction score
.....dude, drinks on the house. ;)

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree with everything you said....except the game planning part. I don't think any defensive coordinator has to gameplan for anything Garrett and Linehan do. My dog, who has bad hips, could stop our passing attack because even Chewie knows the plays before they happen. I'd be more excited about the trade if we had coaches that could use him. As Bill Parcells would say, you can have the greatest groceries in the world but if you're a bad chef then your dinner will suck.

Mr..Plymkr---I cannot disagree with anything you said...i guess i am hoping coaches given an extra week before Titans game could install a game plan that might work..and hoping Amari Cooper along with Gallop and Beae and hopefully my main man i named myself after...RICO can put a hurt on the Titans?

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

Id say the Ricky Williams trade was the worst ever two 1's, two 3's a 4th a 5th a 6th and a 7th

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree that the Roy Williams trade was worse than the Joey Galloway trade.

Though Galloway did have some slightly good years in Dallas, the damage the trade did was far greater. And don't forget how quickly Galloway's first year ended.

And to those pointing out the Walker and Williams and ect trades, this is Franchise history, not NFL.

ESisback

Reaction score

Guaranteed! Worst trade in history! Failure dead ahead!

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I dunno......Jerry has the bar pretty low.

ClintDagger

Reaction score
The AC trade is a poor trade but nowhere near as bad as the RY and JG trades. If Amari can somehow be a top 10 NFL WR then the trade becomes at least somewhat defendable. The other two were never going to be that.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Roy Williams was washed up by the time he got to Dallas. He could not run anymore and gain separation. Galloway could play but not worth two number ones. Galloway was looked as a #1 but he was really an elite speed #2 receiver. They needed to pair him with a Irvin type rather than a similar guy in Ismail.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
They gave up multiple picks for Roy and it didn't make it any better that 2009 ended up being one of the worst drafts in recent memory.

waving monkey

Reaction score
The AC trade is a poor trade but nowhere near as bad as the RY and JG trades. If Amari can somehow be a top 10 NFL WR then the trade becomes at least somewhat defendable. The other two were never going to be that.
if Amari become top ten you cant get him for a first

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I'm not sure I agree that the Roy Williams trade was worse than the Joey Galloway trade.

Though Galloway did have some slightly good years in Dallas, the damage the trade did was far greater. And don't forget how quickly Galloway's first year ended.

And to those pointing out the Walker and Williams and ect trades, this is Franchise history, not NFL.

I don't think you can compare the trade by looking at the cost of Galloway's injury. Galloway had a successful career after the trade. Roy did not.

We would have actually been better off if Roy had immediately gotten injured so he wasn't keeping better WRs off the field. We would have been much better off sticking with TO and bringing up Miles as a starter sooner. Roy was a liability on the field until 2010.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
I don't think you can compare the trade by looking at the cost of Galloway's injury. Galloway had a successful career after the trade. Roy did not.

We would have actually been better off if Roy had immediately gotten injured so he wasn't keeping better WRs off the field. We would have been much better off sticking with TO and bringing up Miles as a starter sooner. Roy was a liability on the field until 2010.

You have a good point.

My feeling is that the two firsts impacted the Cowboys more than the one lost to Williams.

Jerry of course blew it even more with the "Special Teams Draft" that compounded the Williams debacle.

Honestly, at the time, a lot of my friends complimented the Galloway trade like a very few have the Cooper one. The gist being, Dallas took the best WR in the draft in a trade.

But, yeah, it's six of one half a dozen of the other. It remains to be seen if the Cooper trade will go down in infamy like Williams and Galloway.