Did the Cowboys just repeat the worst trade in franchise history?

jwitten82

Reaction score
Roy Williams was washed up by the time he got to Dallas. He could not run anymore and gain separation. Galloway could play but not worth two number ones. Galloway was looked as a #1 but he was really an elite speed #2 receiver. They needed to pair him with a Irvin type rather than a similar guy in Ismail.
Washed up? Lol He was only 27 when we got him, he was just never that good to begin with

DiResta

Reaction score
uh
no

but they did overpay unless something very drastic happens and soon

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Galloway was a stud who got hurt. He was consistent and productive before and after the injury. We simply had the misfortune of giving up major resources for a guy who got hurt.

True, my mistake -- evidently, I forgot he had an ACL injury in his 1st year with us. It was unfortunate, for sure.

Anyhow, here's hoping Amari Cooper has much better luck and good health during his stay with the Cowboys.

Last edited:

Hadenough

Reaction score
I dont think this move is as bad as the Galloway trade but I do think this is bad move! Cooper is just a borderline #1 WR who didnt even have that many TDs in his good years. Its not like Cooper is going to come in and be an Julian Edelman clone. I noticed in the press conference when Garrett was asked about what are you going to do about Coopers drops. Garrett totally avoided the question.

stiletto

Reaction score
Nobody would spend a 1st rounder on a guy if his production was going to cap out where Cooper's has thus far.

Cooper has to be better than he ever has been in order to justify the pick that was lost. Terrance Williams produced on a comparable level through his first 4 seasons.

He's a reclamation project. Might be one of the best the team has invested in based solely on age, but he is not the projected player he once was. After 3-4 seasons, you either are that projected player, or you are not. Currently, Cooper is not.

Hmm...best two first years of almost any receiver in the NFL. 3rd year played through injury to leg, 4th year, the Jon Gruden purge...I'll give him a look....

Mobinvans

Reaction score
A 1st round pick for a 24 yr old two time pro bowl WR is hardly a bad trade man..

Even if he didnt pan out that's a pretty normal trade

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
So, apparently the Cowboys have an itch to scratch every ten years or so. Monday the team traded the team’s 2019 first-round draft pick to the Oakland Raiders for wide receiver Amari Cooper. This comes exactly ten years and eight days after the team sent future first-, third- and sixth-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. That trade came eight and a half years after the team sent two first-round draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver Joey Galloway.

Cowboy fans are desperately hoping this version turns out better than the previous two. The Joey Galloway trade was rated as the sixth worst move in franchise history while the Roy Williams trade is widely regarded as the single worst trade in franchise history.

Those two moves share many similarities with the acquisition of Amari Cooper:

no

staubach24

Reaction score
I don't think this move was a mistake. I believe that Cooper was the missing piece on a team that is missing one big piece! All QB's deserve to have a prime target. This acquisition will have a trickle down effect for the rest of the team. Zeke will be more consistent and more of a threat. I don't think defenses will crowd the box as much. Gallup and Beasley will probably get open alot more. Linehan and the Carrot will get more creative with they're play calling(God willing). And a top 5 defense will get more rest.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
mr Monkey---- amari has 2 pro-bowl 1,000 yd seasons...he is fast and strong and a great route runner...he deciphers defenses...and he is not the usual "Diva" high maintenance player....defenses will have to game plan for him..which will ease things for Zeke and other receivers and Dak...He is better than any of the first round talent in 2019 and is only 6 months older than Calvin Ridley...he is only 24..so its like we got our first round pick early and he has experience and success already....yes we paid a lot to get him...but i applaud bold move by cowboys to try and win the East this year

Cooper is set to make $13 million next season in his option year, then the Cowboys have to decide whether to extend him or let him walk. Ridley is under team control for 3 more years, plus a 4th year option, at a lower price. Their age difference is virtually irrelevant.

Yes, Cooper has experience. His last season and a half haven't been very good, but he's got experience. Time will tell.

Hogeboom4TheWin

Reaction score
I don't think this move was a mistake. I believe that Cooper was the missing piece on a team that is missing one big piece! All QB's deserve to have a prime target. This acquisition will have a trickle down effect for the rest of the team. Zeke will be more consistent and more of a threat. I don't think defenses will crowd the box as much. Gallup and Beasley will probably get open alot more. Linehan and the Carrot will get more creative with they're play calling(God willing). And a top 5 defense will get more rest.

You have just outlined what every Cowboys fan, including me, hopes is the outcome of the trade. I’ll remain skeptical and pessimistic until I see it happen. If it does, I will heap praise on Mr. Jones and his front office.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
He's also been one of the worst in the last four years with drops.
mr kramskoi--- after this debilitating loss to Titans my heart needs healing...i cannot stomach Jason Garrett or Scot Linehan...they actually make me physically ill...i am not rooting for any more cowboy wins this year because it may encourage Jerry to keep Jason and Linehan.....i apologize and i love me some cowboys but cannot stomach anymore of it

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Cooper is set to make $13 million next season in his option year, then the Cowboys have to decide whether to extend him or let him walk. Ridley is under team control for 3 more years, plus a 4th year option, at a lower price. Their age difference is virtually irrelevant.

Yes, Cooper has experience. His last season and a half haven't been very good, but he's got experience. Time will tell.
Jake--in all honesty what did you think of game against Titans?.....someone came in and ripped my heart out..i am still in deep shock

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
uh
no

but they did overpay unless something very drastic happens and soon
i think Cooper is not our real problem..it is Red ball and linehan....how can our team have two weeks and then deliver such an inferior product?.....its all too painful to endure