Did the Cowboys just repeat the worst trade in franchise history?

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I do believe Amari will prove out as being better than either Joey Galloway or Roy Williams.

He seems more productive and consistent than either of them. We'll learn more about that.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
He's a reclamation project. Might be one of the best the team has invested in based solely on age, but he is not the projected player he once was. After 3-4 seasons, you either are that projected player, or you are not. Currently, Cooper is not.

LOL, what?

Capture.png

Hogeboom4TheWin

Reaction score
The Cooper trade most likely won’t be “historically bad” but it will probably be regretful due to it’s exorbitant cost. I think nothing can get the offense un-stuck this year. There is just too much disconnect between the game the coaches seem to want to play and the guys they are putting out there to execute. The ability of the offense to adapt has not been great, to say the least, and there is really nothing to suggest that this will suddenly improve with the arrival of Cooper. If line continues to get whipped, they will struggle.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Did the Cowboys just repeat the worst trade in franchise history?

Nope.

The team adopted a new scheme dependent upon certain route running skills. The team acquired a top shelf player with size, speed, and the qualities sought for this offense. That is a win, and even an abstract first round pick can't guarantee that degree of a match, now when it's needed the most.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
So, apparently the Cowboys have an itch to scratch every ten years or so. Monday the team traded the team’s 2019 first-round draft pick to the Oakland Raiders for wide receiver Amari Cooper. This comes exactly ten years and eight days after the team sent future first-, third- and sixth-round draft picks to the Detroit Lions for wide receiver Roy Williams. That trade came eight and a half years after the team sent two first-round draft picks to the Seattle Seahawks for wide receiver Joey Galloway.

Cowboy fans are desperately hoping this version turns out better than the previous two. The Joey Galloway trade was rated as the sixth worst move in franchise history while the Roy Williams trade is widely regarded as the single worst trade in franchise history.

Those two moves share many similarities with the acquisition of Amari Cooper:

Time will tell

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Great trade if it props up Dak and our passing offense which lifts us to the playoffs.

Bad trade if we continue down our current path.

Ddisco22

Reaction score
The team adopted a new scheme dependent upon certain route running skills. The team acquired a top shelf player with size, speed, and the qualities sought for this offense. That is a win, and even an abstract first round pick can't guarantee that degree of a match, now when it's needed the most.
But will the HC and OC use him correctly? running basic freaking plays and WR routes won't help us at all, we could have the best guys in the business but it won't help with the same coaching staff!
How far did we go with a good TE, no 1 WR and decent QB???????????????
We got the talent!

plymkr

Reaction score
Mr..Plymkr---I cannot disagree with anything you said...i guess i am hoping coaches given an extra week before Titans game could install a game plan that might work..and hoping Amari Cooper along with Gallop and Beae and hopefully my main man i named myself after...RICO can put a hurt on the Titans?
I too would love to see Rico break out and dominate. We need him to get some of those rebounds in the red zone and go get the ball. He's a beast who's hard can use his body against defenders.

conner01

Reaction score
Id say the Ricky Williams trade was the worst ever two 1's, two 3's a 4th a 5th a 6th and a 7th
And didn’t get a great player
Galloway was too expensive but had Troy stayed healthy at least he would have had an impact and was a good player
I don’t like trading a one at all but Cooper is a talented player and at least it was one pick. He’s also young
My biggest issue other than the one is will we be able to get our moneys worth with this passing game
Personally I think a TE who could be that safety blanket guy would have helped Dak more
But we shall see

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I do believe Amari will prove out as being better than either Joey Galloway or Roy Williams.

He seems more productive and consistent than either of them. We'll learn more about that.
Won't have to do much to be better than them. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The AC trade is a poor trade but nowhere near as bad as the RY and JG trades. If Amari can somehow be a top 10 NFL WR then the trade becomes at least somewhat defendable. The other two were never going to be that.
If he becomes a top 10 WR, who would attack the trade? Most of what I've seen has to do with his drops, desire and recent history on the field.

Hogeboom4TheWin

Reaction score
Galloway was too expensive but had Troy stayed healthy at least he would have had an impact and was a good player
I don’t like trading a one at all but Cooper is a talented player and at least it was one pick. He’s also young
My biggest issue other than the one is will we be able to get our moneys worth with this passing game
Personally I think a TE who could be that safety blanket guy would have helped Dak more
But we shall see

I completely agree on the “safety blanket guy”. I think that’s what he’s really missing when the chaos starts as the play breaks down. Romo had Witten, Aikman had Novacek. Prescott needs that guy. Doesn’t necessarily have to be a TE but those seem like the ones best suited to that role.

GMO415

Reaction score
You can thank Wash's Gruden for the Cooper trade. If we had Cooper then, EzE would have had 100 yards .

kskboys

Reaction score
But we shall see
Ricky Williams was a great player.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I agree with everything you said....except the game planning part. I don't think any defensive coordinator has to gameplan for anything Garrett and Linehan do. My dog, who has bad hips, could stop our passing attack because even Chewie knows the plays before they happen. I'd be more excited about the trade if we had coaches that could use him. As Bill Parcells would say, you can have the greatest groceries in the world but if you're a bad chef then your dinner will suck.
:laugh:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
You have a good point.

My feeling is that the two firsts impacted the Cowboys more than the one lost to Williams.

Jerry of course blew it even more with the "Special Teams Draft" that compounded the Williams debacle.

Honestly, at the time, a lot of my friends complimented the Galloway trade like a very few have the Cooper one. The gist being, Dallas took the best WR in the draft in a trade.

But, yeah, it's six of one half a dozen of the other. It remains to be seen if the Cooper trade will go down in infamy like Williams and Galloway.

Please don't remind me. That has to be the worst Cowboys draft EVA!

kskboys

Reaction score

Galloway was a stud who got hurt. He was consistent and productive before and after the injury. We simply had the misfortune of giving up major resources for a guy who got hurt.

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
Please don't remind me. That has to be the worst Cowboys draft EVA!

The 1995 draft was arguably worse. Jerry traded out of the first for two seconds that became Sherman Williams and Kendall Watkins. They won the Super Bowl that year, but that draft started the landslide into mediocrity.