I said you're not getting an established top tier CB for a 2nd round pick. Never going to happen. Let alone a 2nd round pick two years from now. You're giving up 1 or 2 first rounders for the player. Pickens was a different story. He wasn't yet established and considered a head case. We ended up getting a steal. Now he'll command more than a 2nd round pick two years from now.
I say he’s top 10, which makes him top tier. Too many people throw around the word “elite” like it’s the same as “All-Pro,” but that’s fine if you see it differently. I believe he’s one of the top corners; he just doesn’t make a lot of flashy plays, so people undervalue him and call him something else. Deals happen all the time, and they got a good one here. We could argue about this all day, but I’ll just say I disagree. For a second-round pick, he’s a great pickup. Top tier? Out of at least 78 corners in the league, probably closer to 90 if you count how many are on the field at once, being in the top 10 or 15 makes you top tier.
That’s just the law of averages.
Maybe there are around 90 cornerbacks who see playing time across all teams in the league, and if this guy is ranked between 10 and 15, that makes him top tier, not elite, but definitely top tier.
Ideally, you’d land a player like this in the second round, which is what they hoped for with those other second-round picks that didn’t pan out.
I’m going to get back to my usual focus and stop reading your responses, since I don’t think you understand what “top tier” means.
Hopefully my explanation helps you broaden your perspective, stop just looking at the top five guys like Christian Gonzalez, who, by the way, isn’t helping New England win right now because he’s injured. Sure, let that so-called top-tier guy be on the losing side of the Super Bowl, didn’t help much there.
People say the Cowboys got a good deal, but look at Sauce Gardner and what the Colts gave up for him, that’s the move the Cowboys could’ve made, chasing one of these “top-tier” players and overpaying, only to be disappointed.
I’d rather draft a second-rounder who’s worth that spot and have him perform as a really solid player.