Did the Cowboys tank yesterday?

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.
Dak apparently got confused and thought we were supposed to be tanking for a while now, that is why every dam game he tosses the ball right to a defender.

Last 4 games.............3 pick sixes..................he must be doing it on purpose, no way a 7 yr vet can actually suck this bad, right.;)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Well if they play like this next week the good news is we will only have to watch one more such performance.
I think the majority of Cowboy fans are really just looking to be put out of their misery next week.
We're not hoping for a win. We're hoping for it to be over.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
So, the team just says f-this, I am just going to half-arse it and mail it in because this game doesn't mean anything?

Funny, I didnt see the Lions mailing it in last night in Lambeau even though they had nothing to play for.
And I’d compare the Lions effort to Washington’s effort not Dallas’ whose situation wasn’t comparable to Detroit.

CWR

Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.

I'd love to hear from someone who watched the all 22. I imagine we ran a very vanilla game plan. My problem is, then why did we risk our starters? If that was the strategy it was half baked.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak apparently got confused and thought we were supposed to be tanking for a while now, that is why every dam game he tosses the ball right to a defender.

Last 4 games.............3 pick sixes..................he must be doing it on purpose, no way a 7 yr vet can actually suck this bad, right.;)
Stafford threw like 4 or 5 pick sixes last season in his 14th season.. So apparently there is a way.. QBs are like any other athlete.. They can get in a slump or stuck in a rut and it can be nigh impossible to break out of it without significant downtime. Unfortunately for Dak (and us) he's not going to get any downtime unless he plays like that in a playoff game .. at which he will get 8 months of downtime. Dak HAS to figure out how to dial back this newfound aggressive approach just a hair. I don't know if he can do it this season at this point. If he could he already would have. I trust him to work on it all offseason and figure it out.. but I don't think he can make the adjustment on the fly.

blueblood70

Reaction score

not on purpose per say but there was no gameplan, special plays, wrinkles etc played straight up game hoping to win and it didn't work. i saw this the last 3 games really, doubt they were doing anything that was specially designed for Washington or what not. Looked to me like they were trying to get some guys some stats and thought they could win just playing sandlot type ball.

when you practice lie that ie no plan of sorts its how's in games. MM mentioned he thought practice was lethargic etc

IT would bne guess but the last few weks they've been praticing a gameplan for TB and not wanting to show anything exotic , i could be wrong but that what i saw. not one payer or caoch looked good at all. quite odd

eromeopolk

Reaction score

The owner, GM, and defacto Head Coach said he wanted a Home playoff game when it was not needed or within grasp. Washington sent the surrender flag by starting Howell and it was foolishly not accepted.

blueblood70

Reaction score
You do know that Dak had two of the best games of his career last year on grass right? He put up over 400 yards and 3 TDs on grass at Tampa and 450 yards and 3 TDs against the Pats on grass. Other theories certainly welcome.
doesn't the LAC have grass or something like it? , he played well that game as well. it is odd all the road games were losses outdoors this year etc albeit he did give the team 14 and 17 point lead in GB and Jacksonville. that Jags game had a punt fumbled, a pick six off Noah's hands, and pads and the other Daks jersey was yanked from behind on the follow through. wasnt a bad game for him really. look at the first half in that game, he was red hot

RonnieT24

Reaction score
not on purpose per say but there was no gameplan, special plays, wrinkles etc played straight up game hoping to win and it didn't work. i saw this the last 3 games really, doubt they were doing anything that was specially designed for Washington or what not. Looked to me like they were trying to get some guys some stats and thought they could win just playing sandlot type ball.

when you practice lie that ie no plan of sorts its how's in games. MM mentioned he thought practice was lethargic etc

IT would bne guess but the last few weks they've been praticing a gameplan for TB and not wanting to show anything exotic , i could be wrong but that what i saw. not one payer or caoch looked good at all. quite odd

Yeah it looked to me like the players may have picked up on the energy emanating from the coaching staff and adopted the whole "looking forward to the playoffs" mindset. I think McCarthy may want to rethink that whole "shorter practices" thing too. Seems like the team started to fall apart shortly after he made that announcement. So much of sports is mental, man and I think the coaches allowed this team to relax mentally the last few games. I don't know if they did that on purpose or if the coaches themselves aren't all that bright either.. However it came about the results are undeniable. This team has been unfocused for the better part of a month.. And I really don't like seeing that headed into the playoffs.