Did the Cowboys tank yesterday?

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I got the distinct impression that our players simply showed up and went through the motions of playing. They just weren't motivated at all.

The mental state of these team always worries me. It's been that way for a long long time and I don't really know how to fix it other than to get a Michael Irvin type on the roster somehow. Or a Charles Haley.. We need some crazy mofos man.. Big time.. It's too many "good dudes" on this team.

quickccc

Reaction score
If it was about " Tanking" then we woulda /shoulda been starting the backups ...

.. with the NFC East Division and No'1 playoff seed up for grabs, at kick off time, ..why would we be ' Tanking' ? :huh:

Bigtex67

Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.
I think the defense played well the first third of the game. Unfortunately, offense provided nothing but three and outs. Maybe the D just got gassed or gave up the last two-thirds of the game.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I honestly think part of its human nature. Let’s be realstic they had nothing to play for. Even if there was a slight chance they could win something.

Their performance yesterday means nothing to me. I mean last year they were ok late in the year and laid an egg against SF.

Just go out and play good football next week
Part of human nature isn’t go out and embarrass yourself. Part of human nature as an athlete is to go out and perform at your best and show some pride. The team that had nothing to play for was Washington. This is why they started a rookie fifth round pick at QB who the Cowboys allowed to throw a TD on his very first NFL pass. It was an absolute gutless performance by the Cowboys, who got punched in the mouth and folded against a team that’s sitting home for the playoffs. Hope they enjoy getting their butts handed to them next week. They probably won’t care. They can’t wait to get to the off-season.

Calvin2Tony2Emmitt2Julius

Reaction score
Go out there , get your ***** handed to you , giving has assed effort. hell Mike should make them stay in the DC area this week with sports radio blaring in their ears and replays of the game on a continuous loop

I hate when that happens. Played like Shyte

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Millions of dollars, getting to play a game you love as a living, and being famous is not enough for these guys to take their job seriously?

If so, these players will never win anything of note. Not with that kind of mentality.
Yep -- I recall times in the distant past where the players took pride in their performance and winning was far more important.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
As I watched (disgusted) yesterday's game and saw just how pervasive the lethargy and half-assed efforts were across the board on this team I found myself wondering? Was this done on purpose? Could Mike McCarthy be like me in that he doesn't trust this team when it's riding high and the media is all caressing their ..er.. private parts. Could he had instructed both coordinators to present a preseason level game plan and really never put much into the game? If it had been one side of the ball I might feel differently.. but the defensive effort was sporadic, the special teams were horrible.. the receivers dropped balls, the QB was off, the backs looked like they were running in quicksand and my lord, the offensive line looked like they would struggle to block Baylor.

Everybody stunk.. If it wasn't an outright tank then they need to get the name of whoever catered the pregame meal and never use them again and never stay at whatever hotel they stayed at again either. If it wasn't taking, food poisoning or somebody pulling the fire alarm at 3 am, then this team will have a short visit to the playoffs if it can't play about 20,000 miles above what they showed us yesterday.

lol...I have no idea what happened in that game. What hurt the most was I had a gig and had to come home and watch it on Tivo. Screwed my whole late night up.

Cowboys on three!

COWBOYS!!

Flamma

Reaction score

It wouldn't make much sense to do that playing your starters against a team you're not going to face in the playoffs.

You know what this game reminded me of, if you're old enough to remember it. Last game of the 1983 season on Monday night, Dallas at San Francisco. Dallas looked exactly like they did against Washington. Lethargic, not into it. Lost 42-17. Then lost in the first round to the 9-7 Rams.

Jfconrow

Reaction score
They tanked. They didn’t want to show any of their good plays and I’m sure once they were in the playoffs a lot of players went out on the town or just didn’t care. Really it’s the coaches that called vanilla plays, that is on purpose. The only thing is they didn’t move up in the draft I don’t think with the loss, so I think it was more to not show the good plays in a meaningless game.

Then there are the Bucs that pulled Brady at half, so what do you call that?

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score

IMHO it would seem so. 1st off 60% of the OL were playing in new positions for a whole game and it showed. Also the playcalling was beyond typical KM head scratching as were the coverage calls. Honestly I felt like it was preseason game to be totally honest. All those deep throws were out of character it looked like a scripted gameplan from start to finish.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I kept finding myself wondering that, as if maybe they felt they weren't going to move up in the seeding anyway, and wanted to lull TB into taking them lightly.

I don't really believe that, but it still crossed my mind because it's hard to grasp how the 2nd highest scoring offense in the NFL could possibly look that bad. It wasn't just an off day, the offense looked like one of the worst I remember from the Cowboys. Dak sucked. WR's couldn't get open. Worst running game of the season (except maybe the first t game against Washington).

Then there was Turpin muffing an easy fair catch, and Anger muffing a good snap. Anger punted 10 times, and that doesn't count the muffed snap.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately I don't. That's why I posted that I was worried about there they're heads would be if they rolled into the playoffs on an 8 or 9 game win streak. The good news (LOL!) is that we don't have to worry about that. The media will be crushing them all week leading up to this game. They should be firmly entrenched with the underdog mentality and should be able to summon enough anger to circle the wagons.. If they can't.. Well there's always the draft show..

I don't see Dak rolling into Tampa and beating Brady. But, I'd love to be wrong.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If you don't care about winning why did they leave Dak and Parsons out there all game? Honestly I thought any minute now in the 2nd half we would see Rush out there. Maybe give Parsons a break, maybe use him at LB something so he if fresher for the post season. But no. They left the starters in for a reason, they wanted to get something going on offense but couldn't. They didn't care how gassed Micah was they rather leave him out there while they experiment with the CB group.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
I don't see Dak rolling into Tampa and beating Brady. But, I'd love to be wrong.

Dak is not the one we need to get going to beat Brady.. It's the defense that needs to up its game for that to happen. I have faith that Dak can put this debacle behind him and play like he's capable ... I have more recent evidence of his playing well (Philly game after the first series) than I do of the defense ... I mean they have let guys in their first ever NFL look mighty damn comfortable these last two weeks. I do think Hankins and LVE back in the lineup will help the run defense which should in turn help create pass rush opportunities. But we already know that there will be no holding calls against the Tampa line protecting Brady. So Quinn is going to have to scheme up blitzes that get guys free in Brady's face because they're GOING to let them hold all night so I don't expect to see any of our front four players get to him.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Why would they tank, Mister? Why?
Jerald loves winning.
Tanking would suit no one's purpose, stout lad.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Yea, that wasn’t tanking . We just provided a team playing for pride a reason to win with the early turnovers and lead.

It was like we were watching the score of the Egirls game after that. Which at that point became the meaningless game most of us thought it would be.

Once NY announced they were resting stars and Phil announced Hurts was starting. That was the writing on the wall.

I don’t think anyone expected Egirls to lose. And that’s exactly how we played.
So, the team just says f-this, I am just going to half-arse it and mail it in because this game doesn't mean anything?

Funny, I didnt see the Lions mailing it in last night in Lambeau even though they had nothing to play for.