Did the front office make a mistake firing Linehan?

ultron

Reaction score
The first 3 years that Zeke was here he won the rushing title every season except his 2nd season in which he was suspended for 6 games; however, he had the most yards per carry that season and certainly would have been at least top 2 or 3 (worst case scenario). Was Scott Linehan the fall guy because fans and the front office expected more than just 1 playoff win (against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who beat us regularly up to that point)?

The team that eliminated us went on to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl so it's not like we were really far away from at least being a contender again this year with the same coaching staff.

The most mind boggling thing about this season is it appears that our offense has improved, but our W/L record is worse and I personally feel like we're losing to teams that we would've previously beat in 2016-2018.

I also think our defense flat out sucks (but has some talent), and we have the weirdest coaching situation in the history of this franchise and possibly the NFL going on (an old man that is our D-coordinator but a defensive backs coach that calls the plays & seemingly is the real D-coordinator based on the eye ball test by yours truly.

So that means the Cowboys "quietly" have two rookie coordinators this season and we made the transition without much attention from the media, and most fans aren't really talking about that either - based on what I've read this season.

So if Moore and Richard design & call the plays and Garrett isn't really that involved, will this team really improve by simply replacing the head coach? I don't really give a damn who the head coach is as long as he can fix this situation on defense and special teams. This offense is suspect too, they've scored 14 on the Bills, 9 on the Patriots, and 10 on the Saints - so they're averaging 11 points per game against teams that have a really good defense. If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).

I conclude by saying the absolute first thing that needs to happen is we need to find a new special teams coach and a kicker that can make 87%+ of his field goals because that has costed us at least 1 or 2 games this year. That can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I also suggest finding a new defensive coordinator - I really think that's more important than replacing Jason Garrett and that might not be a popular opinion, but I'm telling you Kris Richard is not the answer.

Last edited:

ultron

Reaction score
Well, Linehan would have had a full training camp with Cooper, Frederick at Center back and so on... so it’s possible we would have been better off with him.

That's a really good point, not just Cooper but Cobb, an improved Gallup, and Witten as well.

I also wonder if Dak would've been this good with Linehan calling the shots. I don't think he'd be leading the league in passing yards, but we've also had some horrible turnovers due to passing too much (in my opinion).

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
Just piggybacking on OPs thoughts I actually had these same thoughts today. Linehan wasn’t creative but when we ran well, we kept running well. We used Dak more. After three games this year I thought I’d finally seen the fusion of both minds but overall we fall in love with the pass even after Zeke gets going. I don’t have it in front of me but I believe I saw Zeke had 56 yds in the second qrt and still had 56 after 3. I’m not sure our ID right now

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Eh. I don’t regret firing Linehan, but I don’t think he was as big of a problem as we thought back last year. The problem stems much deeper. They should’ve fired JG, Richard, and Rod along with him though.

Cebrin

Reaction score
The first 3 years that Zeke was here he won the rushing title every season except his 2nd season in which he was suspended for 6 games; however, he had the most yards per carry that season and certainly would have been at least top 2 or 3 (worst case scenario). Was Scott Linehan the fall guy because fans and the front office expected more than just 1 playoff win (against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who beat us regularly up to that point)?

The team that eliminated us went on to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl so it's not like we were really far away from at least being a contender again this year with the same coaching staff.

The most mind boggling thing about this season is it appears that our offense has improved, but our W/L record is worse and I personally feel like we're losing to teams that we would've previously beat in 2016-2018.

I also think our defense flat out sucks (but has some talent), and we have the weirdest coaching situation in the history of this franchise and possibly the NFL going on (an old man that is our D-coordinator but a defensive backs coach that calls the plays & seemingly is the real D-coordinator based on the eye ball test by yours truly.

So that means the Cowboys "quietly" have two rookie coordinators this season and we made the transition without much attention from the media, and most fans aren't really talking about that either - based on what I've read this season.

So if Moore and Richard design & call the plays and Garrett isn't really that involved, will this team really improve by simply replacing the head coach? I don't really give a damn who the head coach is as long as he can fix this situation on defense and special teams. This offense is suspect too, they've scored 14 on the Bills, 9 on the Patriots, and 10 on the Saints - so they're averaging 11 points per game against teams that have a really good defense. If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).

I conclude by saying the absolute first thing that needs to happen is we need to find a new special teams coach and a kicker that can make 87%+ of his field goals because that has costed us at least 1 or 2 games this year. That can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I also suggest finding a new defensive coordinator - I really think that's more important than replacing Jason Garrett and that might not be a popular opinion, but I'm telling you Kris Richard is not the answer.

No. Only Garrett.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The biggest mistake this organization made was to retain a bigger source of their problems by not including JG in their cleanup.