Did the front office make a mistake firing Linehan?

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No...the mistake was over-paying a above average RB.

The biggest mistake is still here and has been for 10 years.

links18

Reaction score
Linehan was brought in to cover for Garrett's failures. He couldnt do it and got canned. But Garrett is still here. You tell me what the problem is then. It starts with Jer and ends with rey.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first 3 years that Zeke was here he won the rushing title every season except his 2nd season in which he was suspended for 6 games; however, he had the most yards per carry that season and certainly would have been at least top 2 or 3 (worst case scenario). Was Scott Linehan the fall guy because fans and the front office expected more than just 1 playoff win (against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who beat us regularly up to that point)?

The team that eliminated us went on to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl so it's not like we were really far away from at least being a contender again this year with the same coaching staff.

The most mind boggling thing about this season is it appears that our offense has improved, but our W/L record is worse and I personally feel like we're losing to teams that we would've previously beat in 2016-2018.

I also think our defense flat out sucks (but has some talent), and we have the weirdest coaching situation in the history of this franchise and possibly the NFL going on (an old man that is our D-coordinator but a defensive backs coach that calls the plays & seemingly is the real D-coordinator based on the eye ball test by yours truly.

So that means the Cowboys "quietly" have two rookie coordinators this season and we made the transition without much attention from the media, and most fans aren't really talking about that either - based on what I've read this season.

So if Moore and Richard design & call the plays and Garrett isn't really that involved, will this team really improve by simply replacing the head coach? I don't really give a damn who the head coach is as long as he can fix this situation on defense and special teams. This offense is suspect too, they've scored 14 on the Bills, 9 on the Patriots, and 10 on the Saints - so they're averaging 11 points per game against teams that have a really good defense. If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).

I conclude by saying the absolute first thing that needs to happen is we need to find a new special teams coach and a kicker that can make 87%+ of his field goals because that has costed us at least 1 or 2 games this year. That can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I also suggest finding a new defensive coordinator - I really think that's more important than replacing Jason Garrett and that might not be a popular opinion, but I'm telling you Kris Richard is not the answer.
I take it from the gist of your post is that something is screwing up the play calling. Didn't someone point out that RB coach Brown told KM to run it up the gut against the Vikes? It clearly didn't work. KM taking bad advice. The defense seems to have a different LB scheme - clearly not working. Other stuff is the same old same old with the exception that ST is even worse with O'Quinn and Maher.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
The first 3 years that Zeke was here he won the rushing title every season except his 2nd season in which he was suspended for 6 games; however, he had the most yards per carry that season and certainly would have been at least top 2 or 3 (worst case scenario). Was Scott Linehan the fall guy because fans and the front office expected more than just 1 playoff win (against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who beat us regularly up to that point)?

The team that eliminated us went on to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl so it's not like we were really far away from at least being a contender again this year with the same coaching staff.

The most mind boggling thing about this season is it appears that our offense has improved, but our W/L record is worse and I personally feel like we're losing to teams that we would've previously beat in 2016-2018.

I also think our defense flat out sucks (but has some talent), and we have the weirdest coaching situation in the history of this franchise and possibly the NFL going on (an old man that is our D-coordinator but a defensive backs coach that calls the plays & seemingly is the real D-coordinator based on the eye ball test by yours truly.

So that means the Cowboys "quietly" have two rookie coordinators this season and we made the transition without much attention from the media, and most fans aren't really talking about that either - based on what I've read this season.

So if Moore and Richard design & call the plays and Garrett isn't really that involved, will this team really improve by simply replacing the head coach? I don't really give a damn who the head coach is as long as he can fix this situation on defense and special teams. This offense is suspect too, they've scored 14 on the Bills, 9 on the Patriots, and 10 on the Saints - so they're averaging 11 points per game against teams that have a really good defense. If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).

I conclude by saying the absolute first thing that needs to happen is we need to find a new special teams coach and a kicker that can make 87%+ of his field goals because that has costed us at least 1 or 2 games this year. That can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I also suggest finding a new defensive coordinator - I really think that's more important than replacing Jason Garrett and that might not be a popular opinion, but I'm telling you Kris Richard is not the answer.
Nice write up. I think a bigger loss was Callahan honestly.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
I'm not saying we should have kept Linehan, but our run game was more efficient because it wasn't vanilla. Our passing game was the vanilla aspect of our offense under him.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

The mistake, like many assistants and OC's before him, was making him take the fall for Garrett. This years scapegoat is Moore.

Brooksey

Reaction score
I think we would have run it more, owned more TOP and probably played better defense. Moving forward our running game needs a reboot with K Moore..he needs to keep the defense off the field, they're not good enough to hang with a quick score offense..especially when it becomes a quick pace offense that doesn't score...:eek:

MikeB80

Reaction score
I am going to say no.

The offense was fine since he took over and when games got tight or Dak looked shaky he went to the running game.

With different line coaches and different backs his running game always produced. Clearly the players had some sort of issue with his passing game so I guess he had to go but maybe just maybe since we have done a lot of winning since he showed up he was a part of it.

I love dez but no matter what he said about the wr not getting moved around and put in motion etc...Linehan's offense produced, with two different quarterbacks.

I would have kept him but then again I thought the whole staff should have been fired after the loss to the rams since it was a really terrible showing and feels like as far as this staff could get them.

CowboysLegends2

Reaction score
Interesting points by the OP. My opinion is Linehan was an easier fall guy for Jones than Garrett was. Jerry was looking for any reason to keep Garrett and this was his last attempt to show that Red was the man. I was all for Linehan going but it appears that he wasn’t the problem.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
No..........should have been gone long before he was............just like Garrett should have been.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This post is all kinds of wrong.

First your initial premise about firing Linehan being any sort of a 'mistake' is completely flawed. The guy was a self-serving, backstabbing scumbag, hated by his players and fellow coaches. A cancer that this team was cured of.

Let me know where Linehan is working now?

And your "two rookie coordinators" statement lacks merit as well. Richard has been a defensive coordinator before. Only Moore is a rookie. And his offense is leading the league in yards. Defense and not-very-special teams are clearly the problem. I'm not blaming Moore's or anyone else's offense for their failings.

And you're not suddenly finding a special teams coach and "87% kicker" at this stage of the season.

And none of that suggests anything about firing Linehan wasn't the absolute right decision.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
You all will never get it. The problem is always and will be the Jones family. Until Jerrah and Lil Stevie step down from their positions and let real qualified men run the Cowboys football team we will always be soft. The Jones family ruined the 90s Cowboys, They ruined Parcells team that would have challenged the Patriots, and he ruined this new dynasty that was developed in 2014.