Did the front office make a mistake firing Linehan?

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This post is all kinds of wrong.

First your initial premise about firing Linehan being any sort of a 'mistake' is completely flawed. The guy was a self-serving, backstabbing scumbag, hated by his players and fellow coaches. A cancer that this team was cured of.

Let me know where Linehan is working now?

And your "two rookie coordinators" statement lacks merit as well. Richard has been a defensive coordinator before. Only Moore is a rookie. And his offense is leading the league in yards. Defense and not-very-special teams are clearly the problem. I'm not blaming Moore's or anyone else's offense for their failings.

And you're not suddenly finding a special teams coach and "87% kicker" at this stage of the season.

And none of that suggests anything about firing Linehan wasn't the absolute right decision.
Didn't Witten leave because of Linehan?

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).
In the first half of the games we've won, we passed more, used more clock, turned the ball over less, converted more third downs, and scored three times as many points.

In the first half of the wins
pass 61% run 39%
34 drives, 109 points
44.8 yards per drive
3rd down conv 55.3%
2:47 avg TOP
turnovers on 14.7% of drives
avg start own 25

In the first half of the losses

pass 58% run 42%
34 drives, 36 points
32.2 yards per drive
3rd down conv 43.2%
2:37 avg TOP
turnovers on 20.6% of drives
avg start own 25

Aven8

Reaction score
We’re #1 in offense and this is the real question???

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The error was in hiring him in the first place to basically attempt to do what Garret could not.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't Witten leave because of Linehan?

I've never heard that. As far as i know, Witten just got too good of an offer from ESPN with that Monday night job to pass up, realizing he was approaching the end of his career. Few players receive such high profile job offers while they're still playing.

Of all the people who did have issues with Linehan - and there are plenty - Witten's name never was among them to the best of my knowledge.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once another HC takes over for the Cowboys, he's very likely going to opt to replace Kellen Moore with his own OC. That was my intent.

Depends on the level of HC we hire. Jerry has been picking the staff since parcels left.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Depends on the level of HC we hire. Jerry has been picking the staff since parcels left.

Controlling what Jerry does will be entirely up to the incoming HC to make his wishes a part of the contract. If Jerry refuses, it's up to him to either withdraw or accept JJ's stipulations. It's high time for Jerry to be realistic enough to make JG's successor a success. If not, he really won't deserve a better HC.

Last edited:

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Controlling what Jerry does will be entirely up to the incoming HC to make his wishes a part of the contract. If Jerry refuses, it's up to him to either withdraw or accept JJ's stipulations. It's high time for Jerry to be realistic enough to make JG's successor a success. If not, he really won't deserve a better HC.

The only thing Jerry can do to "make" a HC a success is get out of the way.

Techsass

Reaction score
Linehan was better than Callahan by a long shot, but he still needed to go. I've been a booster for Rod, but once we lost Eberflus this defense has regressed. Now that Kris has fully taken over they are regressing even further. This is with better players than they had 2 seasons ago.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because some may feel Moore isn't the answer, at least at this point, isn't a good reason to keep Linehan. He needed to go as evidenced by the reaction of the players and endorsements for a first year OC.

Some didn't allow for the learning curve and DC's that would contribute to his education. I think the most flabbergasting part of this is that Booger thinks a team with a first year OC, an overrated OL and a mid level D should be playing for the title. That shows one of two things. It's all part of his BS pitch or he really is that ignorant after being at this for so long.

He's learning that DC's watch film and they learn about him. He might be a smart guy but he's going to have to get smarter if he's going to live up to that pre billing. And having a first year OC is putting pressure on the 4th year QB within the games. If Prescott is going to step up, he's going to have to become half his own OC, just as the previous QB had to do.

Linehan should have never been the OC here. He didn't do jack for Stafford, the offense or team in DET. Calling plays for one of the NFL's gunslingers and the best WR in the game? Most of us could do that.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Maybe so but when a FO hires and fires asst coaches this is what you get. Maybe that's why Garrett shuns responsibility , he didn't hire these guys. "Kellen calls the plays" etc.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe so but when a FO hires and fires asst coaches this is what you get. Maybe that's why Garrett shuns responsibility , he didn't hire these guys. "Kellen calls the plays" etc.

What would give you the idea that Garrett "didn't hire these guys"?
:huh:

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
What would give you the idea that Garrett "didn't hire these guys"?
:huh:
Just a feeling by statements made. "I don't pay Kellen for his experience I'm paying him for his imagination" All the coaches are on the field because of me , so on so forth and if Garrett hired a guy with 1 year coaching experience in a lame duck year he deserves to get fired.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Yards & Scoring
by 1st-Half Run Frequency

Run less than 40% (4 games)
280 yards 16.5 points

Run 40-44% (4 games)
200 yards 10.8 points

Run more than 44% (4 games)
186 yards 9.0 points

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Just piggybacking on OPs thoughts I actually had these same thoughts today. Linehan wasn’t creative but when we ran well, we kept running well. We used Dak more. After three games this year I thought I’d finally seen the fusion of both minds but overall we fall in love with the pass even after Zeke gets going. I don’t have it in front of me but I believe I saw Zeke had 56 yds in the second qrt and still had 56 after 3. I’m not sure our ID right now

I think this is Garrett wanting to keep games close and win it in the fourth quarter by eating up the clock .
He gets behind, shifts gears to passing, and then once he thinks he has a lead he can defend, goes to run..

Problem is we are put in holes and forced to play catch up , and in his mind the only way to catch up is pass, as run would eat up too much clock, and if not successful ( loser mentality) leave less time to pull off a close win.

This type of mentality also short wires his clock management as we have seen many times.

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Linehan was better than Callahan by a long shot, but he still needed to go. I've been a booster for Rod, but once we lost Eberflus this defense has regressed. Now that Kris has fully taken over they are regressing even further. This is with better players than they had 2 seasons ago.

I think once the rams showed how to hurt the " stunting rush men" it was open season and the bend don't break mentality me only works when you score first and protect a lead