Did the front office make a mistake firing Linehan?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Just a feeling by statements made. "I don't pay Kellen for his experience I'm paying him for his imagination" All the coaches are on the field because of me , so on so forth and if Garrett hired a guy with 1 year coaching experience in a lame duck year he deserves to get fired.

I think that's more about Jerry having final say on the decisions, not initiating them himself.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The more anybody looks at it the more it is obvious that all our ills are head coach driven....

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely not.

It was prolly a mistake to promote KMo so soon, but Linehan needed to go.

MizzouCowboy4

Reaction score
The first 3 years that Zeke was here he won the rushing title every season except his 2nd season in which he was suspended for 6 games; however, he had the most yards per carry that season and certainly would have been at least top 2 or 3 (worst case scenario). Was Scott Linehan the fall guy because fans and the front office expected more than just 1 playoff win (against Russell Wilson and the Seahawks who beat us regularly up to that point)?

The team that eliminated us went on to play the Patriots in the Super Bowl so it's not like we were really far away from at least being a contender again this year with the same coaching staff.

The most mind boggling thing about this season is it appears that our offense has improved, but our W/L record is worse and I personally feel like we're losing to teams that we would've previously beat in 2016-2018.

I also think our defense flat out sucks (but has some talent), and we have the weirdest coaching situation in the history of this franchise and possibly the NFL going on (an old man that is our D-coordinator but a defensive backs coach that calls the plays & seemingly is the real D-coordinator based on the eye ball test by yours truly.

So that means the Cowboys "quietly" have two rookie coordinators this season and we made the transition without much attention from the media, and most fans aren't really talking about that either - based on what I've read this season.

So if Moore and Richard design & call the plays and Garrett isn't really that involved, will this team really improve by simply replacing the head coach? I don't really give a damn who the head coach is as long as he can fix this situation on defense and special teams. This offense is suspect too, they've scored 14 on the Bills, 9 on the Patriots, and 10 on the Saints - so they're averaging 11 points per game against teams that have a really good defense. If Moore is going to remain as the offensive coordinator - they need to hire a special 'run game coordinator' to the offensive coaching staff & get back to what was winning us football games (running the ball, not turning the ball over, controlling the clock, and converting on 3rd down).

I conclude by saying the absolute first thing that needs to happen is we need to find a new special teams coach and a kicker that can make 87%+ of his field goals because that has costed us at least 1 or 2 games this year. That can be the difference between making or missing the playoffs. I also suggest finding a new defensive coordinator - I really think that's more important than replacing Jason Garrett and that might not be a popular opinion, but I'm telling you Kris Richard is not the answer.
No he was awful

blueblood70

Reaction score
No we just went the other direction too much running and not enough creativity to too much passing without run game balance and creativity.

too many games Zeke was heating up and they let him go cold.. either Daks audible when hes saying kil kil kil to a pass or KM is simply not learned how to keep momentum when one part of the game is hot and working , he isnt flowing with the game as its happening..

he did this with MN game but the opposite Pass game hot , last two drives goes to RPOs and a quick pass to ee.. some of this maybe Dak, he could keep the ball more on RPOs, can choose who he throws too and not audible out of run plays.. im not sure what it is but Daks Imporved while the run game has suffered some..Zeke had 3 games where he could have easily got 150 yards but finished under 100 because they just stopped running for 2-3 series.. NE game, GB game and Bills game Zeke could have went off but not sure what happened..

maybe Kellens a rookie who will get it right, how about the last 4 games..lol

Pants

Reaction score
Linehan (or lamehan as I liked to call him) was the anti-garrett hot potato to get the fan's minds off of wanting Garrett's head...not me, I have wanted Red's head for years....as others have said, many on this staff are not good and/or are stained by Garrett's influence...hard to say if Richard, Moore and a few others can be saved if they had a legit HC in place - of course, a legit HC is likely going to bring his own guys....thus, Garrett likely gets extended so Jones doesn't have to fire anyone

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know man he hired Garrett as the OC before he hired Wade

That one for sure. But Garett has hired this staff. Jones hasn't forced anyone on him, and the obvious mistakes that have been made with those choices have been Garrett's.