News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
2 years ago Kittle got a 5 year $75 million dollar deal with $40 million guaranteed, and that was in a market where Covid was threatening the season. Nobody is talking about that for Schultz today, much less what Kittle's market value would be if he were negotiating today. Today's market for Kittle and Kelce would probably be about $90 million with $40-50 million guaranteed.

What people are talking about is something a little more than what Njoku got, which is nowhere near what the market would bear for for Kittle and Kelse today.
That's what ya said about Jarwin and how did that turn out???

Id roll in 10 personell before I'd pay a Jag like Schultz top 10 te money. Lol.

His ceiling is too low. He's like on the CJ Uzoma and Tyler Higbee level at best in man to man.

He's drawing 11 million for 2 Tds in 12 games against non division rivals which is ludicrous to begin with

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

CowboysExchange

Reaction score

That's what we gave up Cooper for? To give it All to Schultz'kowski LMAO. We're bumming.

We couldn't pick a winner at te if we had 3 extra picks. Swaim, Jarwin, Escobar. It's like a huge bone pile of hype every year.

Where's the beef???

Last edited:

Adreme

Reaction score

His ceiling is too low. He's like on the CJ Uzoma and Tyler Higbee level at best in man to man.

He's drawing 11 million for 2 Tds in 12 games against non division rivals which is ludicrous to begin with

TDs are traditionally an inconsistent stat for any offensive weapon. They almost never translate year-to-year. Yards tend to translate because the sample size of catches rarely changes and you are talking about paying money to a guy who was 3rd in receptions and 4th in yards for the TE position last year.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Have to remember, Schultz's first year was like most NFL receivers (in the general sense since tight ends are used as big receivers a lot in the NFL these days), not that great. He was stuck behind Witten in 2019 and 2020, many here have said Witten was forced the ball by the coaches just because "he's Jason Witten", whether or not that was true certainly Witten took away targets from Schultz, and Jarwin was playing all 16 games in 2018 & 2019 as well.

2020 was the first year where Schultz was able to really get in the flow of the game,and get a substantial number of targets.

Don't think we know what his ceiling is, you may be right and he's as good as he's going to get. But if that's so, we'll probably (barring injury to him, or Dak) find out this year.

kskboys

Reaction score

Nah, he's drawing 11 mil because we're not sure exactly what he is, and need time to get Jake up to speed. Don't look at the amount, the franchise tag is purely to give us time to evaluate and either replace or sign to a long term. It was a great move at this time.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
Jerry and Stephen get scared and over pay sometimes ( see Dak and especially Zek ). Schultz is good but not great. Also, he doesn’t have enough “dog”. To soft when blocking.

Don’t over pay him!!!!!!!’

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's what we gave up Cooper for? To give it All to Schultz'kowski LMAO. We're bumming.

We couldn't pick a winner at te if we had 3 extra picks. Swaim, Jarwin, Escobar. It's like a huge bone pile of hype every year.

Where's the beef???
hb-button-hogans-heros-sergeant-schultz.png

Toro9

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
Nice insight. Makes me wonder if Spags frequents this site

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
TDs are traditionally an inconsistent stat for any offensive weapon. They almost never translate year-to-year. Yards tend to translate because the sample size of catches rarely changes and you are talking about paying money to a guy who was 3rd in receptions and 4th in yards for the TE position last year.
while the top te threats drew man to man and double coverage and put up their stats

Schultz had the most rinky dink wide open checkdown screens in te History drawing zone last year

Sure he's gonna catch alot of balls on 1st and 2nd down that on avg only travel 6-7 yards in the air.

10 ypc stats are not something that just leaps off a page at ya.

I give Schultz kudos for his accomplishments

But for 15 million I coulda got 2-3 avg tes in fa.

Adreme

Reaction score
while the top te threats drew man to man and double coverage and put up their stats

Schultz had the most rinky dink wide open checkdown screens in te History drawing zone last year

Sure he's gonna catch alot of balls on 1st and 2nd down that on avg only travel 6-7 yards in the air.

If he is averaging 10YPC (which he is at 10.4) that means he is averaging a first down on every reception which is what you want. Yes it is more fun to see a guy get 27 on a 3rd and 5 but consistently getting 7 is you win in the modern NFL. Having a home-run threat is important but you win by methodically moving the ball down the field and scoring not by throwing 50-50 balls 30 yards down field. That era of football is over and now those balls are merely a tool to keep defenses honest rather than the method upon which offenses latch themselves onto. Yes they are check downs but if the check down gets you a first down then it was a good play.

Meanwhile the problem with the 2-3 average TEs (though I would argue that the real average TEs are now getting more than hat) is that you only have one football so 2-3 non matchup problems are not as valuable as one good player who causes a problem for the defense.

kskboys

Reaction score

I just don't know how to explain it to you anymore. You have this idea in your head that anyone can get open. As long as you persist in having that idea, you're just not going to understand the game.

Man, you must hate Irvin and Emmit Smith.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If he is averaging 10YPC (which he is at 10.4) that means he is averaging a first down on every reception which is what you want. Yes it is more fun to see a guy get 27 on a 3rd and 5 but consistently getting 7 is you win in the modern NFL. Having a home-run threat is important but you win by methodically moving the ball down the field and scoring not by throwing 50-50 balls 30 yards down field. That era of football is over and now those balls are merely a tool to keep defenses honest rather than the method upon which offenses latch themselves onto. Yes they are check downs but if the check down gets you a first down then it was a good play.

Meanwhile the problem with the 2-3 average TEs (though I would argue that the real average TEs are now getting more than hat) is that you only have one football so 2-3 non matchup problems are not as valuable as one good player who causes a problem for the defense.
In 11 personnel I'd agree more

But If you're running a 12 personell offense like we usually do ya better have 2 decent receiving tes or someone is gonna get the old man Witten zone blanket coverage. Lmao.

It killed some of our run game when Jarwin went down last year.

If ya don't have 2 decent tes youre gonna get forced into beating that team with those 2 tes (or weakest skilled players) based on how defenses cover you. Usually by doubling up on your best wrs and rbs

You may put up empty calorie stats like Schultz'kowski but you don't win too many games on the backs of 2 tes that can't move the ball and score against good teams. When forced too

Remember when #82 would catch like 10 passes in a game but he couldn't score but once every 18 passes (against scrub teams mainly) and we'd still lose the game by 14.

Somebody receiving the ball has to score. It makes no sense to target a weak scoring threat in the big scheme of things

Schultz doesn't catch 78 balls at 10.4 yards per catch because he's this top 10 te. Lmao.

10.4 ypc avgs also doesn't mean each went 10 yards each time for a 1st down either. Btw.

He coulda caught a 24 yard catch, a 3 yard catch, and a 4 yard catch.

He's just in a weak division and scheme that produces those Opportunities and checkdown Stats.

The Tyler Higbees and CJ Uzomas arent getting 78 catches but they are just as good as Schultz.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I just don't know how to explain it to you anymore. You have this idea in your head that anyone can get open. As long as you persist in having that idea, you're just not going to understand the game.

Man, you must hate Irvin and Emmit Smith.

Nah

Schultz is a decent checkdown te.

But he is not a big deep threat or a big red zone target.

I woulda churned the roster and kept Cooper and not franchise tagged Schultz

10.9 million is alot of cheese for a player who has never ever done much outside of our division.

I woulda snagged a couple of tes early in FA.

Guys like
CJ Ozoma
Hurst
Cook
Oj Howard
Rudolph
Mo Allie-Cox
Gronk
Everett
Engram

There were several Single tes and tandems we could have gotten that were better than Schultz and McKeon for 12 million.

I'd rather have Gronk for 20 million. If he draws the coverage Schultz is getting he'll put up 12-15 tds

Maybe more

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
We're stuck in failure to launch mode at the te position as always and we use 2 starting tes about 50% of the time.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
I'm looking forward to seeing if Hendershot makes the team. That will tell me a lot about what Dallas plans on doing.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I said they didn't offer Jarwin top of the market money? They didn't, so if I did say that they way it turned out is that I made a correct statement.

kskboys

Reaction score
Nah

Schultz is a decent checkdown te.

But he is not a big deep threat or a big red zone target.

I woulda churned the roster and kept Cooper and not franchise tagged Schultz

10.9 million is alot of cheese for a player who has never ever done much outside of our division.

I woulda snagged a couple of tes early in FA.

Guys like
CJ Ozoma
Hurst
Cook
Oj Howard
Rudolph
Mo Allie-Cox
Gronk
Everett
Engram

There were several Single tes and tandems we could have gotten that were better than Schultz and McKeon for 12 million.

I'd rather have Gronk for 20 million. If he draws the coverage Schultz is getting he'll put up 12-15 tds

Maybe more
Why do you believe that every player has to be a deep or HR threat? Quite narrow POV.

Super bowl MVP is neither. How do you not see the value in the chain movers/TOP players?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Why do you believe that every player has to be a deep or HR threat? Quite narrow POV.

Super bowl MVP is neither. How do you not see the value in the chain movers/TOP players?
I do see the value just not anywhere so close to $11 million dollars worth.

I could see more value in fa. Js