News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
Kelce is drawing 2+ defenders per snap and he's still on a way higher plateau than Schultz statistically.

Reactions: CWR

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I don't want to see Schultz catch 80 balls. I want to see him catch about 45-50 balls

Anything above that is a bad offensive game planning. Imo.

I'd rather see Dak throw to skilled players w more pop and to less safety valves. Make him work for his Qbr

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great TEs are rare! Good TEs are hard to come by especially if the participate in the passing game. Blocking TEs are a dime a dozen and everyone has one. The best TEs I can think of in no particular order.
Kelce
Kittle
Gronkowski
Andrew's
Godart
Ertz
RAIDERS TE can't remember his name
Schultz is among all these guys.
Waller (Raider's guy)

This is a pretty solid list. Kelce, Kittle & Andrews are the current gold standard for TE's. The others you named are next tier. All quality players that can help your team and. I don't think Gronk has even committed to playing in 2022 yet.

CWR

Reaction score
Are they both not tight ends?

Kelce is elite. He has elite tools. He can be an offensive focal point. Schultz can't, period. Schultz is a good TE, but he isn't on Kelce's level.

Which is exactly why I argue he can compensate by being a good blocker as well. Since his tools are limited, he can merit greater value with versatility.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
Love him but, I'm not willing to spend large bank on him. Very tired of players playing just good enough to get the contract and then not make a big difference.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
I still maintain Schultz had a perfect storm go in his favor. He had an offense which demanded defenses be accountable for Coop and Lamb, AND a qb who checked down a lot. I won't bother with a line vs coordinator vs qb debate. The net result was Schultz being filtered the ball on a silver platter.

Credit to him for finding soft spots in the defense and making the most out of his opportunities.

If he is true to his word and puts in the time and effort becoming a better blocker he will likely demand big money. I expect some regression on his numbers, but he can make up for that by being a good blocker.

Well said sir!

Reactions: CWR

kskboys

Reaction score
Love him but, I'm not willing to spend large bank on him. Very tired of players playing just good enough to get the contract and then not make a big difference.
Yup. Hey, I'm a Schultz fan, but he's not a difference maker so much as a good solid player. You simply cannot pay good solid players at the top of the market. That is the road to mediocrity. Paying Schultz 15 mil would be the equivalent of us overpaying Crawford. Same scenario.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If they are playing well enough to merit a big contract in accordance with market conditions they likely are making a difference. That doesn't mean a player can carry the team to success on his own though, and it doesn't necessarily mean a team will feel it can afford the contract or the contract fits into their overall salary structure.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yup. Hey, I'm a Schultz fan, but he's not a difference maker so much as a good solid player. You simply cannot pay good solid players at the top of the market. That is the road to mediocrity. Paying Schultz 15 mil would be the equivalent of us overpaying Crawford. Same scenario.
I don't think anyone is talking about paying him today's market value for Kittle, Kelce or Andrews.

Last edited:

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
If they are playing well enough to merit a big contract in accordance with market conditions they likely are making a difference. That doesn't mean a player can carry the team to success on his own though, and it doesn't necessarily mean a team will feel it can afford the contract or the contract fits into their overall salary structure.
Stop it! no well thought out intelligent posts here. :)

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Kelce is elite. He has elite tools. He can be an offensive focal point. Schultz can't, period. Schultz is a good TE, but he isn't on Kelce's level.

Which is exactly why I argue he can compensate by being a good blocker as well. Since his tools are limited, he can merit greater value with versatility.

Where did I say Schultz was at Kelce's level? Please quote it for me.

All I said was that Kelce isn't rated as high as he is based on his great blocking, but on his receiving, so that Schultz may still get big bucks regardless of whether or not he improves his blocking.

But if you look at their stats, in their third year Kelce had 72 receptions for 875 yards and 5 tds, Schultz had 63 catches for 615 yards and 4 tds, not that much less.

Kelce did improve more than Schultz in his 4th year than Schultz did, so I'm not saying Schultz will get to Kelce's level, based on their 4th season it doesn't seem he will. But he doesn't have to get to Kelce's level to get paid well, either by Dallas or somebody else.

But that's fine, barring injury we'll see what happens with Schultz, both performance-wise and contract-wise, in a year or two....

CWR

Reaction score
Where did I say Schultz was at Kelce's level? Please quote it for me.

All I said was that Kelce isn't rated as high as he is based on his great blocking, but on his receiving, so that Schultz may still get big bucks regardless of whether or not he improves his blocking.

But if you look at their stats, in their third year Kelce had 72 receptions for 875 yards and 5 tds, Schultz had 63 catches for 615 yards and 4 tds, not that much less.

Kelce did improve more than Schultz in his 4th year than Schultz did, so I'm not saying Schultz will get to Kelce's level, based on their 4th season it doesn't seem he will. But he doesn't have to get to Kelce's level to get paid well, either by Dallas or somebody else.

But that's fine, barring injury we'll see what happens with Schultz, both performance-wise and contract-wise, in a year or two....

You made the comparison. All I'm saying is Kelce can get away with it because he is elite. Schultz will never be an elite level playmaker. It's a poor comparison. Schultz may get the money, but it doesn't mean he's worth it. For him to be worth a contract like that, he will need to be better all around. He will need to block.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now just wanting to see if he can become the all around TE. He has spent this off season more focused on blocking which is interesting because at Stanford he was primarily used as a blocking TE. If he can greatly improve on blocking and continue to produce as a receiving TE then he has a chance of getting a longer term deal.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They are.
2 years ago Kittle got a 5 year $75 million dollar deal with $40 million guaranteed, and that was in a market where Covid was threatening the season. Nobody is talking about that for Schultz today, much less what Kittle's market value would be if he were negotiating today. Today's market for Kittle and Kelce would probably be about $90 million with $40-50 million guaranteed.

What people are talking about is something a little more than what Njoku got, which is nowhere near what the market would bear for for Kittle and Kelse today.

Last edited: