News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
CJ Uzoma signed a 3 year 24 mil 15 mil guarantee recently.

I think Schultz is more along that mark

Regardless of the overabundance of checkdown plays.

I'd rather see deep and incomplete than all fizzle w no POP!

I'll take 2 top wrs over a mediocre te

Especially if they drew the top coverage or double teams

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
What if Zeke pops his knee again. What if McKeon is our #2 te.

The RB, TE, and WR core are very weak on paper compared to our regular hopeful mindset

Dak needs 2 stud wrs with a big catch radius.

And a top running game if he ain't. Js

I don't think creating more opportunities for a 4th or 5th receiving option te is the solution.

Id rather spend leftover cap money on weapons imo. I'd pick up a te, wr, and rb if I could. Lol.

Somehow we're late again to the rodeo this year.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
If players want to win a ring they have to have to make gamechanging plays.

I think we're Lacking in short term sauce offensively and I'm not excited about our dynamic duos at wr, te, or rb long term either.

There's not any black and white stats supporting any added potency as a core at te, wr, or rb but you do see some fall offs on paper. Imo

It's just like betting on a hand in poker when you need 2-3 cards to fall your way.

If ifs and buts we're Candy and Nuts we'd all be Superstars I guess

Sometimes ya have to learn to go against the grain and not stick with what hasn't been working for 25 years.

There's still time to grab some weapons. Dak is gonna need all he can get

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
There was some really good deep talent at te in the Draft and we limped off with a fourth rounder. That's what stung the most.

Te and Rb we're right there and we Q'eefed imo lol

More worried about the DE we let walk and our 18 million dollar mistake instead of what players we need going forward
to win a ring.

It's gonna take some bonafide scorers to compete at last year's level. I don't think we have the same potency at te, wr, or rb as a core to compete

Last edited:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
If we're trading Cooper Money for the highest paid checkdown te in history I'm out. Js

I'd rather spend my pie on 2 top wrs. If he's not drawing Double teams he's not worth 15 million imo

I'm for spending less on offensive receivers generally, but I would have much preferred keeping Cooper to the Schultz and Gallup contracts. Cooper draws double teams and still produces. He is the guy who makes the offense go.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
CJ Uzoma signed a 3 year 24 mil 15 mil guarantee recently.

I think Schultz is more along that mark

Regardless of the overabundance of checkdown plays.

I'd rather see deep and incomplete than all fizzle w no POP!

I'll take 2 top wrs over a mediocre te

Especially if they drew the top coverage or double teams
he has been in the league for how long and his most season catches are 43. he averages about 10 ypc....

so nah, he is not along the same lines as Schultz. Schultz is way above him. and you are talking about 3M difference!!!! and was he available for us to sign? who was available to sign that would be as good as schultz or slightly below. the market has moved...if Uzomah makes average of 8M year, then the market has defintley moved.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
If players want to win a ring they have to have to make gamechanging plays.

I think we're Lacking in short term sauce offensively and I'm not excited about our dynamic duos at wr, te, or rb long term either.

There's not any black and white stats supporting any added potency as a core at te, wr, or rb but you do see some fall offs on paper. Imo

It's just like betting on a hand in poker when you need 2-3 cards to fall your way.

If ifs and buts we're Candy and Nuts we'd all be Superstars I guess

Sometimes ya have to learn to go against the grain and not stick with what hasn't been working for 25 years.

There's still time to grab some weapons. Dak is gonna need all he can get
in order to win, you need an entire organization focused on winning and make it the only thing that matters. unfortunately the cowboys aren't that. our focus is on marketing and sales. winning is secondary and only if it helps marketing and sales.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
There was some really good deep talent at te in the Draft and we limped off with a fourth rounder. That's what stung the most.

More worried about the DE we let walk and our 18 million dollar mistake instead of what players we need going forward
to win a ring.

It's gonna take some bonafide scorers to compete at last year's level. I don't think we have the same potency at te, wr, or rb as a core to compete
this draft didn't have high end TEs, but had decent ones and there was a lot of them. ferguson could end up being as good as the rest. none of the TEs made you go wow

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
If he is true to his word and puts in the time and effort becoming a better blocker he will likely demand big money. I expect some regression on his numbers, but he can make up for that by being a good blocker.

Don't recall Travis Kelce is known as a tremendous blocker, in the modern NFL (as I've been lectured here by more than a couple of posters) tight ends don't need to block much, they're a receiving option far and away.

So I don't think having to improve as a blocker will have much to do with how much money Schultz might get. If he continues to rank in the top 5 in yards, etc. as he did last year he'll be rewarded handsomely.

Whether that be in Dallas or elsewhere...

Hadenough

Reaction score
That is one awful contract. Might be the worst in the NFL right now. Njoku isnt even a starting caliber TE
Great TEs are rare! Good TEs are hard to come by especially if the participate in the passing game. Blocking TEs are a dime a dozen and everyone has one. The best TEs I can think of in no particular order.
Kelce
Kittle
Gronkowski
Andrew's
Godart
Ertz
RAIDERS TE can't remember his name
Schultz is among all these guys.

CWR

Reaction score
Don't recall Travis Kelce is known as a tremendous blocker, in the modern NFL (as I've been lectured here by more than a couple of posters) tight ends don't need to block much, they're a receiving option far and away.

So I don't think having to improve as a blocker will have much to do with how much money Schultz might get. If he continues to rank in the top 5 in yards, etc. as he did last year he'll be rewarded handsomely.

Travis Kelce? Lol, yeah, nice comparison.

kskboys

Reaction score
this draft didn't have high end TEs, but had decent ones and there was a lot of them. ferguson could end up being as good as the rest. none of the TEs made you go wow
I'm not sure Fergie isn't the most complete TE out of the bunch. Mostly, the propsects could either catch or block, not both.

Batman1980

Reaction score
I'm not sure Fergie isn't the most complete TE out of the bunch. Mostly, the propsects could either catch or block, not both.

Felt like they were trying to draft Schultz 2.0. Hopefully it'll light a fire under Dalton so he plays well enough to earn a big contract, with us or elsewhere. If elsewhere, pocket the compensatory pick and take another TE in the 3rd or 4th round next year lol.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.

Dear lad, the stupidity of the Browns in spending mshould not be our concern.
I would hate it if this relatively new TE started to believe he was inexpendable. Alas, chaps, he's not that good.

I don't care if the Browns are stupid as long as we don't follow like lemmings.

kskboys

Reaction score

to win a ring.

There really wasn't. This was a very poor TE class, w/ no blue chippers. Fergie in the 4th was the right way to go.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

You can be forgiven for not being that great as a blocker when you are the kind of threat as a receiver as Kelce is. If you are not, then the blocking aspect is a more important part of your game.

He'll get a nice contract, but his blocking may determine whether he gets it here.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
There really wasn't. This was a very poor TE class, w/ no blue chippers. Fergie in the 4th was the right way to go.

I would have picked Jelani Woods at the end of round 2.
We'll see how he turns out at the pro level. But it's hard to let a te go by that scores a Td every 5.5 receptions who has the size speed and intangibles.
I'd take him over Ferguson any day. He's hard player to bring down. And he caught a lot of contested balls

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
he has been in the league for how long and his most season catches are 43. he averages about 10 ypc....

so nah, he is not along the same lines as Schultz. Schultz is way above him. and you are talking about 3M difference!!!! and was he available for us to sign? who was available to sign that would be as good as schultz or slightly below. the market has moved...if Uzomah makes average of 8M year, then the market has defintley moved.
I don't think Uzoma would have a problem catching all of those te screen passes Schultz got. There was 6-7 fa's for under 5-6 million that prolly could duplicate his efforts imo.

Most tes with Schultz' Skillsets don't get all of those opportunities

I think we could have signed him for Jarwin Money last year.

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
in order to win, you need an entire organization focused on winning and make it the only thing that matters. unfortunately the cowboys aren't that. our focus is on marketing and sales. winning is secondary and only if it helps marketing and sales.
We use a lot of starting 2 te packages and play a lot of 12 personell. We gotta have 2 decent receiving tes to make up the Duo. Last year was the most scoring output our te core has put out in over a decade.

We can't afford to pay 25-30 million per year for the te core unless you have tes that are being double teamed.

Our tes aren't drawing man to man top cover guys just zone which is the Mark of a 9-10 ypc averages.

He's not a big enough scoring threat outside of the Eagles to lock up long term rn imo

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
I see stats (true) but there's also a story behind those Stats.

First of all there's no Jarwin or Cooper drawing 3 players away from Schultz this year on first and 2nd down. Lol. What coverage is McKeon gonna draw away??? W/ No Cooper??

Let's see Schultz face off against top cover guys and Double teams before we anoint him with a Gronklike te status.

I'd take Rudolph, Cook, Graham, Gronk, and Jesse James over The duos we have for less.

We need need a committee of tes that can get 10-15 tds not 5-6 per year. I'd be happier w 3 mediocre vets and a better Wr Duo and Trio.

We had a much better te core when both Jarwin and Schultz were both playing.

But they couldn't dominate in the red zone much outside our division.

We're just playing divisionable ball w this 12 personnel scheme using #2 tes like McKeon.

I'd play the tag and start snatching up veterans rn.

Wrs are just a better option if you don't have a jumper at te anyways.

I've seen Kelce win a bunch of games for kc dominating when it mattered.

There's a difference when you're drawing Double and Triple teams and putting up that production.

If Kelce was drawing Schultzkowski coverage he would have 17-20 tds and 1500-1700 yards. Lol

The coverage dictates the stats with the naked eye so there's more to the stats than just comparing production equally

Last edited: