News: Did this deal set the bar for Schultz?

conner01

Reaction score
I think if we don't pay Schultz and Ferguson only looks like a backup, then we'll have to take a TE early to better our chances that we hit on one. We would also pick up a cheap vet option just in case.

Let me add that it's not all on Ferguson, though. We'll also be watching the improvement of McKeon in his third year and I'm intrigued by the UDFA Peyton Hendershot. He led Indiana in receptions last year with 46 for 543 yards and 4 TDs, and finished as the school's TE leader in receptions (136) and yards (1,479). His numbers last year match up well with Ferguson's (46-450-3) with Ferguson having slightly better career numbers (145-1,618). Doesn't mean anything, of course, as both could be worthless on this level.
I was hoping to see more if McKeon last year
The staff seems high on

Them

Reaction score
They picked up TE Ferguson in the 4th rnd...I'm thinking they hope he can play this Season...I don't think they want to pay Schultz any big $$$ next season!

birdwells1

Reaction score
https://www.nfl.com/news/browns-te-david-njoku-agree-to-four-year-56-million-contract-extension

David Njoku 4 years for $56.75 million ($28 million guaranteed)

Last year Njoku caught 36 passes for 475 yards and 4 touchdowns.

Meanwhile Schultz caught 78 passes for 808 yards and 8 touchdowns.

Schultz could command 60 million and 32 million guaranteed for 4 years.

I'm betting no extension will happen and this will be Schultz's final year in Dallas.
Hopefully it's his last year, in this offense the te is a saftey valve not a weapon. You don't pay saftey valves that amount of money.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I see 0 reason we can't sign him and develop the Ferguson kid and have that dual threat at Te . Schultz isnt staying on the tag. Lets also remember we have McKean. he was not shabby either when he played. I think Sprinkle will be cut later.

Rayman70

Reaction score
We are trying t have a situation like New England when they had 2 great TE's that teams had 2 worry about. I like it actually. Nall also gives us a rb/fb/TE guy that can serve in a TE role when needed. I luv the physicality we have at TE now. We lacked that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let him walk, Wisconsin kid can take over.

The Wisconsin kid hasn’t even taken a snap in the NFL. Tap the brakes! Lol If Schultz has a big season he’ll get paid. You can’t allow all your key players to walk. We’ll find out this season what the Wisconsin kid can do and if he has any potential to be a starting TE. You can’t replace good players with just another player and expect to build a championship team. It’s almost like some of you don’t care if a player can even play as long as they’re cheap.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
This. Franchise money to what, the 4th biggest offensive threat on the field? 5th?

People always overestimate the value of downroster receivers.
Franchise money going to the position of biggest need asap, and Schultz.
Thats what you have to do when left short at the position but Schultz is decent, and you have to have at least one.
He got payed the franchise tag for a very valid reason, but that reason had desperation tied to it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You mean Njoku? His best year was 56 catches. He is injury prone.
Injury prone sounds right. I wouldnt put much stock in Cleveland offense with baker mayfield throwing the ball. They pretty much run the ball and throw it only when they have to.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
Franchise money going to the position of biggest need asap, and Schultz.
Thats what you have to do when left short at the position but Schultz is decent, and you have to have at least one.
He got payed the franchise tag for a very valid reason, but that reason had desperation tied to it.
Plus Shultz gets better every season

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Plus Shultz gets better every season
I believe we have seen his ceiling already and thats pretty good, could be much worse.
Hard to develop TEs, and much more expensive trying to obtain one if you dont already have a decent TE like Schultz.
Im good with the franchise tag considering the alternatives.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
In the words of the beloved Benny Rogers, you got to know when to hold them and when to unload them.
I like this Schultz chap but he's nothing special ... here. He goes to say, KC (he and Kelcy could be toxic!) or Green Bay or Aridzona where there is imagination, the lad could be special. But not here.
In the words of the whimsical Kenny Hill, just because nobody complains doesn't mean all the parachutes are functional.

rags747

Reaction score
The Wisconsin kid hasn’t even taken a snap in the NFL. Tap the brakes! Lol If Schultz has a big season he’ll get paid. You can’t allow all your key players to walk. We’ll find out this season what the Wisconsin kid can do and if he has any potential to be a starting TE. You can’t replace good players with just another player and expect to build a championship team. It’s almost like some of you don’t care if a player can even play as long as they’re cheap.
I just see nothing special in Schultz, he’s good but do you really think he cannot be replaced?

Acceptablename

Reaction score
Tea lleaves show tag on Dalton fourth rd. Pick for rookie TE. I don’t Know what do ya’ll read

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Unless the rookie bombs, ain’t no way we are paying Schultz big money. We will probably give Zeke a another big extension instead

which will be stupider than Joneses… but you never know

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I just see nothing special in Schultz, he’s good but do you really think he cannot be replaced?

He isn’t anything special but he’s gotten better every season and his 8 TD catches in 2021 was tied for the team lead. He’s become a solid receiving TE and a good security blanket for Dak plus he moves the chains. The kid we just drafted hasn’t played a down in the NFL yet and could end up being a bust. He has yet to prove he has quality starting potential. If Schultz improves over what he did last season I don’t see him going anywhere. His TE numbers ranked fifth last season. The Cowboys obviously value him to place a franchise tag on him.

If the kid from Wisconsin were to have a solid rookie season putting up 450-600 yards along with 5+ TDs in a limited role that could make Schultz expendable. You can’t just pencil the Wisconsin kid in for 2023 until we see him play. The Cowboys can’t keep moving on from good players for cheaper options and continue to contend. What they’ve already lost has made them a less talented team and could hamper their ability to contend this season.

Mr_437

Reaction score
Shultz is already priced out of Dallas, so the Njoku deal won't change anything.