Did you notice this schedule pattern?

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't we have 9 road games and 8 home games last year? Shouldn't that alternate?
No, we had 9 home games last year.

It does alternate. The entire NFC plays 9 road games this year and 9 home games next year.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you don't believe scheduling helps/hurts a team, look at the difference between our schedule and Detroit's schedule. We play at San Fran, at Buffalo, at Miami, at Philadelphia and at San Diego(LA). The Lions play none of those teams. Yet, someone will say Detroit "earned" their W/L record. I know scheduling rotates and this is a good year for them but for crying out loud, it's completely lopsided.
And that’s exactly why division champions are the top seeds instead of seeding by record, because teams in different divisions play completely different schedules.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We started off the season by playing both New York teams one after the other. Now we're playing both Los Angeles teams one after the other. Does anyone know if this is done deliberately by the NFL for some reason? Or is it just coincidence?
Schedule is done by a computer algorithm...

RonnieT24

Reaction score
And that’s exactly why division champions are the top seeds instead of seeding by record, because teams in different divisions play completely different schedules.
That system actually is still flawed because it rewards teams that play in a weak division because they get HFA that they probably didn't really deserve. I think the NFC East and probably the West will end up having four decent teams.. and as such they will beat up on one another. Detroit might end up with HFA as a result. And I still think there should be a rule that no team with a losing record should ever get HFA in the playoffs regardless of whether they win some trash assed division.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
That system actually is still flawed because it rewards teams that play in a weak division because they get HFA that they probably didn't really deserve. I think the NFC East and probably the West will end up having four decent teams.. and as such they will beat up on one another. Detroit might end up with HFA as a result. And I still think there should be a rule that no team with a losing record should ever get HFA in the playoffs regardless of whether they win some trash assed division.
I wondered about that myself when a team got into the playoffs with a 7 and 9 record, but an 11 and 5 team was out. The system seems flawed.

Motorola

Reaction score
We started off the season by playing both New York teams one after the other. Now we're playing both Los Angeles teams one after the other. Does anyone know if this is done deliberately by the NFL for some reason? Or is it just coincidence?
Rev...wearing tinfoil on your conehead is rotting your brain - which will render your mind useless to comprehend, follow, and enjoy the ride as the 2023 Cowboys march to the Super Bowl.

JayFord

Reaction score
they make the schedule according to how much of that sweet tv money they can make off narratives they can sell

NFC east vs NFC east makes GOOD money

they wanted us vs Aaron Rodgers for the views

both LA teams well because 1 its Dallas and then its LA 2 big markets

then you have Seattle and Carolina both at 1pm because ehhh who cares we cant spin a narrative good enough for that sweet dollar

edit...

LA is 1pm as well....idk if seattle is 1pm or 425 and carolina is 1pm

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Don't Ronnie!

The Patriots had near-on 20 years of HFA because of the putrid efforts from the AFC East teams. That was a massive advantage for them, especially come playoff cold weather home games, cough....deflategate anyone?

No way they'd be on 6 SBs if they'd been in ANY of the other divisions during that run.

DUO_CORE

Reaction score
airplane-thats-what-they-expect.gif

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Conspiracy!!

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Back when the Cowboys were really good they always played at home that Sunday. And they nearly always won. Enough teams whined that it gave the Cowboys an unfair advantage to always be playing at home so the league started giving the screw job and making them play on the road that Sunday. The worst one was when they played the Sunday night game in New York I think in 2014.. I think the game went super long and ended past midnight Eastern time. The Cowboys flew home and I think landed in DFW like 5 am Monday morning. Not surprisingly the whole team looked like they were running in quicksand on Thursday against the Iggles. I think it was the shortest turnaround between games in league history. Like less than 90 hours or something horrid like that. Anybody who ever played tackle football can tell you that aint NEAR enough time for the body to recover. Even in high school and college I could not have played another game that close together. Well I guess I could have played.. just not very well in that second one.
The Dallas Cowboys are not required to play on Thanksgiving every year. No team “whined” about the Cowboys schedule. That is made up nonsense.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
The Dallas Cowboys are not required to play on Thanksgiving every year. No team “whined” about the Cowboys schedule. That is made up nonsense.
Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Back in the 70's when the Cowboys were kickin tail the game before Thanksgiving, then on Thanksgiving and then the game after Thanksgiving teams absolutely complained about it. They even let other teams play on Thanksgiving every other year in a rotation for a few years and the ratings tanked so badly when it was NOT the Cowboys that Rozelle came to Schramm hat in hand and begged him to bring the Cowboys back.. Schramm only did so on the condition that they always played at home the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And it continued that way until the Cowboys started to get good again and winning that game before Thanksgiving AND the one on Thanksgiving and then the one after Thanksgiving after the "mini bye." First chance he got, Goodell reneged on the the agreement and started this whole playing on the road the game before Thanksgiving nonsense we see now. The Cowboys have not had a home game the Sunday before Thanksgiving since 2017. This year will make 6 years in a row on the road. Something that never happened more than two years in a row before 2010. Do people really believe that's just the luck of the "algorithm?" Maybe if the algorithm has a line that reads "Make sure the Cowboys play in the road the game before Thanksgiving." I have been in the computer business for 40 years. Trust me, it's not that hard to write certain rules into the program.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Just because you don't remember it doesn't mean it didn't happen. Back in the 70's when the Cowboys were kickin tail the game before Thanksgiving, then on Thanksgiving and then the game after Thanksgiving teams absolutely complained about it. They even let other teams play on Thanksgiving every other year in a rotation for a few years and the ratings tanked so badly when it was NOT the Cowboys that Rozelle came to Schramm hat in hand and begged him to bring the Cowboys back.. Schramm only did so on the condition that they always played at home the Sunday before Thanksgiving. And it continued that way until the Cowboys started to get good again and winning that game before Thanksgiving AND the one on Thanksgiving and then the one after Thanksgiving after the "mini bye." First chance he got, Goodell reneged on the the agreement and started this whole playing on the road the game before Thanksgiving nonsense we see now. The Cowboys have not had a home game the Sunday before Thanksgiving since 2017. This year will make 6 years in a row on the road. Something that never happened more than two years in a row before 2010. Do people really believe that's just the luck of the "algorithm?" Maybe if the algorithm has a line that reads "Make sure the Cowboys play in the road the game before Thanksgiving." I have been in the computer business for 40 years. Trust me, it's not that hard to write certain rules into the program.
Playing on the road the week before was the compromise for keeping that game exclusive to Dallas IMO. There was a lot of scuttlebutt about it being unfair around that time

Soth

Reaction score
Refs, Scheduling, or Goodell conspiracy theorists are weak sauce at its finest. The team’s DNA is getting beat physically up front on both sides of the ball when things get more competitive, which trickles down from an owner infatuated with creating the Triplets.

That is the issue and all the crying about the various conspiracies is just weak sauce and the fragility of some of the forum fans.
OP never said it was a conspiracy theory or that this is the reason why we lost. What in the world are you talking about?

Of course Marcus Rock liked your post lol

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Playing on the road the week before was the compromise for keeping that game exclusive to Dallas IMO. There was a lot of scuttlebutt about it being unfair around that time
There has always been scuttlebutt when the Cowboys get good and start kickin tail. They took the Thanksgiving Day game when no one else wanted it in the mid-60's. When they got REALLY good the other teams cried foul that playing on Thanksgiving Day gave the Cowboys some super power. Then when THEY had to walk a couple miles in Dallas' shoes they found out it aint as easy as Roger and Doomsday made it look. But check this out. Once the league put the Cowboys back on Thanksgiving permanently in 1979 it went:

1979 - away
1980-1983 home
1984 - away
1985 - home
1986 - away
1987 - 1989 home
1990 - 1992 away ( Clearly the league hated Jimmy and Jerry)
1993 - home
1994 - home
1995 - away
1996 - home
1997 - away
1998 - home

So that's 20 seasons.. They were on the road in consecutive years only once in that span. Home 12 and away 8.

Now look at the ensuing 25 seasons.
1999 - away
2000 - away
2001 - 2003 home - even this didn't help poor Campo.
2004 - away
2005 - 2010 home - The Tony Romo love affair years.
2011 - away
2012 - home
2013 - 2015 away
2016 - home
2017 - home
2018 - 2023 away

What's especially interesting here is the last 10 seasons. 8 on the road.. 2 at home. And I'm supposed to bbelieve this is all the result of "the algorithm?" ***!!!

Cowboysfandarin

Reaction score
You know, we watch these games that we’re playing now with great interest but the reality is the last five games of the season are going to make or break this team as far as the playoff run. We have the toughest schedule that possibly could be assembled for those last five games. Both with time span between games, road games, and the opponents that we play. Even if somehow, we managed to squeak out a 3-2 record those last five games and make it into the playoffs this teams bucket will have long ago been emptied

. Also, due to that schedule it’s highly unlikely that we will win the division or get a bye week and we’ll have to play on the Road in week one in the playoffs. Again, look back at the last five games. NFL screwed us again

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
Not true. The Cardinals made enough noise so that they could play on Thanksgiving instead of the Cowboys one year.

J-man

Reaction score
It's supposedly random but IMO, until the feud between Roger & Jerry is over, probably when one of them is gone, we will continue to get *** by the league as much as possible. scheduling and officiating