Did you think there were bad calls/non-calls in the Super Bowl?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
I agree. I am neither a ref hater or lover. I respect that the job they have is hard and things will be missed and sometimes from a certain view point something may look like a foul but from another view you can see clearly it is not. We as fans have TV broadcast giving us 4 to 5 angles of the same play, ref only has the 1. As for the Cowboys just like other teams we get some that go our way and some that go against us. I have hear people we should use something called an eye judge which could make the calls within a game. However I think the end results would be a lot of penalties being called, as they say you can find holding on almost every play, who wants that?

Agree, it's not easy. They have to balance enforcing rules versus game flow.

The angle thing was precisely what happened with the Dez no-catch. The ref on the field was shielded from seeing that the ball touched the ground but the reverse angle from higher up showed it. If the ball didn't touch the ground, that WAS a catch. But replay did its thing and now we have what we have.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think there are bad and/or non calls in every game I watch. It's the nature of beast with officials because, after all, they are humans.

raven55

Reaction score
there was enough of the bumbling and stumbling on calls for both teams the ref's need glasses badly or vegas was paying them to keep it interesting till the last

RonnieT24

Reaction score
so in all this cheating did it ever go your way as well? As I said I think humans make errors but those who make the accusation or cheating or fixing it never seems to go their way it is always against them. It truly is the battle cry anytime someone loses, it is never them it is always the ref.

I'm sure there were missed calls that went my way over the course of many many years of competing and coaching. After all as I said, holding takes place on nearly every snap of a football game.. so pretty much by definition some calls or non-calls "went my way." As for cheating? I'd have to think about that. Because in order for me to know that it did I would have had to be in on it. And I would never knowingly have gone along with such a thing. If a ref missed a call and I saw it I chalked that up to the game.. because I always operated under the assumption that for every one he misses on me he will miss on them and over time it evens out. But cheating is a whole different matter. That's someone making a conscious decision to screw one team or the other.. And the thing about pro sports is that with Big Gambling involved the refs could LITERALLY cheat for/against BOTH teams over the course of the same game because the point spread and the over/under is the thing more so than who wins or loses. So if the spread is +/- 4 points you could see the refs .. er "adjusting" against both teams to keep things in line.

I do remember one episode in my life where I was indirectly part of cheating and I knew about it. I was 12 years old at the time and playing Pop Warner football. It was playoff time and our coaches knew that our next opponent was known to be using illegal (older) players.. So their counter was to ALSO use illegal players. So after weigh ins two of us had to give up our uniforms to two older kids who would end up playing in the game in our stead. I was disgusted by it.. and not just because I was one of the two who had to give up his uniform .. basically because I had joined the team in the middle of the season because we had moved into the neighborhood over the summer and I didn't find out about the team until late. But being a Ronnie come lately they thought nothing of yanking my uniform on game day. The two older guys were older and bigger.. but they were not better than me so my team lost anyway and got knocked out of playoffs. There was a part of me that smiled the entire bus ride home while everybody else was crying. LOL!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I'm sure there were missed calls that went my way over the course of many many years of competing and coaching. After all as I said, holding takes place on nearly every snap of a football game.. so pretty much by definition some calls or non-calls "went my way." As for cheating? I'd have to think about that. Because in order for me to know that it did I would have had to be in on it. And I would never knowingly have gone along with such a thing. If a ref missed a call and I saw it I chalked that up to the game.. because I always operated under the assumption that for every one he misses on me he will miss on them and over time it evens out. But cheating is a whole different matter. That's someone making a conscious decision to screw one team or the other.. And the thing about pro sports is that with Big Gambling involved the refs could LITERALLY cheat for/against BOTH teams over the course of the same game because the point spread and the over/under is the thing more so than who wins or loses. So if the spread is +/- 4 points you could see the refs .. er "adjusting" against both teams to keep things in line.

I do remember one episode in my life where I was indirectly part of cheating and I knew about it. I was 12 years old at the time and playing Pop Warner football. It was playoff time and our coaches knew that our next opponent was known to be using illegal (older) players.. So their counter was to ALSO use illegal players. So after weigh ins two of us had to give up our uniforms to two older kids who would end up playing in the game in our stead. I was disgusted by it.. and not just because I was one of the two who had to give up his uniform .. basically because I had joined the team in the middle of the season because we had moved into the neighborhood over the summer and I didn't find out about the team until late. But being a Ronnie come lately they thought nothing of yanking my uniform on game day. The two older guys were older and bigger.. but they were not better than me so my team lost anyway and got knocked out of playoffs. There was a part of me that smiled the entire bus ride home while everybody else was crying. LOL!

I will just say this, I think games are imperfect and refs are imperfect, I do not believe they really give a damn about who wins and who loses. They are graded by their performance and those who grade out poorly can lose their jobs and or not called up for post season games. I don't think refs care about point spreads. I also know any that are caught being involved in gambling face stiff penalties not only with the league but criminal charges being brought. No doubt some are bigger into conspiracy more than I am because I know to conspire the one key is fewer people involved the less likely you are caught because eventually someone talks.

kskboys

Reaction score
I will just say this, I think games are imperfect and refs are imperfect, I do not believe they really give a damn about who wins and who loses. They are graded by their performance and those who grade out poorly can lose their jobs and or not called up for post season games. I don't think refs care about point spreads. I also know any that are caught being involved in gambling face stiff penalties not only with the league but criminal charges being brought. No doubt some are bigger into conspiracy more than I am because I know to conspire the one key is fewer people involved the less likely you are caught because eventually someone talks.
So the ref that missed the PI call in the NO playoff game was fired, right?