Didn't Eli win two super bowls?

bewp7

Reaction score
maybe if the cowboys didnt have to invest so heavy in offense to make it “dak friendly” (jerrys own words) the defense could be better

75boyz

Reaction score
One player had a regular season passer rating of 97.1 and a playoff passer rating of 93.0
The other player had a regular season passer rating of 84.1 and a playoff passer rating of 87.4.

So one guy was MUCH better than the other in the regular season and in the playoffs.

One guy threw 8 TDs and 2 INTs in his playoff career while the other guy threw 18 TDs and 9 INTs. Seems like 4:1 is better than 2:1. Anybody really wanna argue that?

One guy's best postseason run yielded a 103.3 passer rating in that postseason.. The other guy's best postseason run yielded a 125.7 passer rating.. Which guy "stepped it up" again?

Eli led the NFL in INTs THREE times.. He threw more picks than TDs twice in his career. Something Romo never did. Eli played on better teams with better coaching.. Romo was the better player and the numbers bear it out in both the regular season and the playoffs.

I hear ya bro. It's also reached comical levels in reading some of the nonsense of these current Cowboy Zone quarterback evaluators as well. The existing love affair over this Cowboy version Alex Smith over supposed team best interests is mind boggling. Long live the Dallas Daksters I guess.

No longer the Cowboys unfortunately, lol

Last edited:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Putting an "if" clause after doens't mean you didn't say it.

No, I'm not.

Never said it prevents the other team from scoring.
Look at the context, both of that post and throughout the entire discussion. Clearly I was saying you need a good defense to be able to play ahead, and clearly I have repeated the comment that to be ahead requires your defense not allowing the opposing offense to score.

You did say the best defense is to score quickly. The goal of defense is to prevent scoring, so if you say scoring quickly is the best defense, then yes, you are saying scoring quickly somehow keeps the other team from scoring. The reality is, scoring just means that the other team also has to score, and that is much easier for them to do if you don't have a good defense. And, as I mentioned, there is no certainty of scoring quickly, or of the opponent not scoring quickly themselves, so your idea does not stand on it's own.

Again, winning - outscoring your opponent - is a combination of scoring yourself and stopping the other team from scoring. That applies whether the game is a high scoring shootout, a game where the scores of each team are in an average 20-30 point range, or in a low scoring game, and there is no one way, and one way only method of achieving that.

Brooksey

Reaction score
The point is that the #1 defense still gets smoked by the #1 offense. Taking a lead is better becuase there's no such thing in the NFL as a defense that is going to stop a high-performing offense.

On Madden's Football yes. Give me the '85 Bears defense and the 2020 KC Chiefs with Mahomes will get crushed

johneric8

Reaction score
Yeah I've never understood how anyone could say "Eli won two Super Bowls" when the defense held the 2007 Pats, at that point the highest scoring team in NFL history with 589 points scored in the regular season to 14 points and then the 2011 Pats who had scored 513 points that year to 17 points. Eli deserves credit for not reverting to his normal turnover prone self in those games. But that's about it.
Quit making so much sense, I'm blushing... :)

MikeB80

Reaction score
Its easy to say that but not accurate.

Go watch the championship game in 07 at Lambeau, or the most critical play of the superbowl in 07...manning escaped a sure sack and made the throw to tyree.

same in 2011. Go watch the game at Lambeau vs the 15-1 packers or at SF the next week. The Giants had a tremendous defense but they also beat some very good one's in Dallas, SF and New England in those two super bowl runs

cern

Reaction score
last year the chiefs fell behind in every playoff game and the superbowl as well. it was mahomey and the offense that led them to victory. true, bus driver qb's have led their teams to superbowl victories in the past, but not often. fact is, the single greatest asset to winning the big dance is having the perennial "franchise" qb. starting with bart starr.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
He stepped up BIG in both SB wins

Or lucked out BIG either way you want to look at it

defense got him there but he made BIG throws on the BIG stage
and the Miami faithful will love him forever.

The Giants scored 17 and 21 points in the SB. Eli had a rating of 87 in the first game, including 1 interception, and another that should have been on the final drive.
In the 2nd SB, he was clearly better, but still only had one TD (which also should have been an INT).

Outside of the beautiful pass down the sideline late, he was meh.

Eli is the epitome of an average to below average guy who got a ton of help, quite a bit of luck, and a tiny bit of good play at just the right time.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
last year the chiefs fell behind in every playoff game and the superbowl as well. it was mahomey and the offense that led them to victory. true, bus driver qb's have led their teams to superbowl victories in the past, but not often. fact is, the single greatest asset to winning the big dance is having the perennial "franchise" qb. starting with bart starr.

The thing about comebacks is, they're not all about the offense. Nor are deficits all about the defense. You see, there has to be a lack of scoring by the offense to fall behind. And to come back, there has to be some defense that prevents the other team from scoring too.
Houston essentially got 14 points off of special teams. The Chiefs D gave up about 17.
Tennessee only scored 17 until a garbage TD near the end.
SF only scored 20.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You could - but that's the anomaly in the last 4 years. I'd also say that if you score fewer than 20 points in an NFL game, today, it's because the offense played bad. Defenses just aren't allowed to be that good.
Or you got officiated into next week.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Giants scored 17 and 21 points in the SB. Eli had a rating of 87 in the first game, including 1 interception, and another that should have been on the final drive.
In the 2nd SB, he was clearly better, but still only had one TD (which also should have been an INT).

Outside of the beautiful pass down the sideline late, he was meh.

Eli is the epitome of an average to below average guy who got a ton of help, quite a bit of luck, and a tiny bit of good play at just the right time.
The Romo/Dak debate will outlive us all, but I do think Dak is better than Eli, so I could definitely see him winning a SB, if he had a defense behind him.

cern

Reaction score
The thing about comebacks is, they're not all about the offense. Nor are deficits all about the defense. You see, there has to be a lack of scoring by the offense to fall behind. And to come back, there has to be some defense that prevents the other team from scoring too.
Houston essentially got 14 points off of special teams. The Chiefs D gave up about 17.
Tennessee only scored 17 until a garbage TD near the end.
SF only scored 20.
with the exception of tennessee, all the other teams have one thing in common. great qb's.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
The Giants, Seattle and Baltimore all won Super Bowls largely on their defense. Ultimately though, there is no one formula for winning other than just being better than the opponent.
This. If your defense is above average but not great, an extraordinary QB can get you to the dance. We don't have either but Dak is working on it.

75boyz

Reaction score
On Madden's Football yes. Give me the '85 Bears defense and the 2020 KC Chiefs with Mahomes will get crushed

Although I agree with him on "today's" defenses. Meaning only the here and now premise of 2020 and beyond of so called just good enough defenses.

I agree wirh you that prior to this year you could add several others to your '85 Bears list here and KC would have been handily defeated.
Just depends whichever era or year you want to start.
Off the top of my head
2000 Ravens, 2002 Bucs, 2013 Seahawks, 2015 Broncos.

Those defenses "dominated" the LOS and would have eaten Mahommes alive.

But like I said to give equal balance to his side, in this present year 2020 nobody is playing defense like the aforementioned teams I listed so his argument has merit.

The NFLs new version of defense has become just be "good enough" not to cause a loss. Don't hafta be dominant anymore because everything is geared towards offensive scoring.

So yeah, Mahomes wouldn't have beaten those defenses but he can beat all these present day ones just like he did last year.