2011 playoff ratings of

103.7 (Super Bowl)

Total of 9 TD’s and 1 INT
SB MVP

Doesn’t look too pedestrian to me.

Brady 2011 playoff ratings of

91.1 (Super Bowl)

Total of 8 TD’s and 4 INT’s

If Eli was pedestrian I’d hate to guess what you would call Brady.

Yep, as much as I don't like Eli, he had good runs in the playoffs and played well then. He was an average NFL QB in his era in regular season (10-15) but shined in postseason

johneric8

Reaction score
He still has 2 rings. It was a combination of things. His D stepped up when they had to, his running game was very good and scored points, and Eli and his WRs made some great plays in clutch situations down the stretch. The helmet catch for one. Without that one play it's another ring for Brady!

Here is the thing though, it doesn't take much for plays to look clutch when you're not making hardly any good plays throughout the game in general. It's easy to look at things in a reverse fashion and say that those clutch plays were really just the ONLY good plays made in the game by Eli and the offense.

It all goes back to defenses stepping up in most of these championship games or the good offenses get no credit... Just look back to patriot vs rams a couple of seasons ago when it basically just came down to the Patriots defense that won the game. Brady was horrific in that game, and there is no way the Chiefs win in last years super bowl if the defense didn't make all those stops at the end of the game...

The whole reason I started this thread was to remind people that it's so much simpler than what most make it.. Either your QB is good or he is not. If he is good, he can win in this league with the right parts, coaching and team. Just look at Trent Dilfer, Nick Foles, Mark Rypien ETC... Things have to gel, and talented QB whom isn't prone to mistakes will excel on a good team. We really make this more than it needs to be, with saying things like Dak can't win the big game, or against winning teams.. This is a false narrative and the truth is that the team hasn't done well over the last 18 months and all share part of the blame. Some of you guys leave Dak no room for error, the man goes on long streaks of no turnovers but as soon as he has a couple he all of the sudden is Tony Ohno's long lost twin..

Lets worry about the real issues! Lack of off season, online depletion, culture issues...

DFWJC

Reaction score
2007 was bizarre.
Just charmed in the post season

Playoff run

1. Cowboys: Crayton pulls up on the game-winning pass from Romo with 17 seconds left. Easy pitch and catch for the win...perfect throw...but Crayton pulled up. If not, the Giants are done. Cowboys had at least 4 drops and went away from a good run game in 2nd half. Eli completed just 12 passes but that D holds a good, but beat up, Cowboys offense to only 17 points. Giants advance.

1. Eli completes about 50% of his passes and has no TDs and a QB rating of 72. But in OT, the Giants win 23-20 and the defense holds Favre and high soring Pack down.

1. Eli has 2 TDs and int and an 82 QB rating but does make some plays. The once in 20-year hail mary helmet catch allows the Giants to get in FG range for the winner. The Giants defense plays maybe the best game ever by a defense ina Super Bowl--holding one of the highest-scoring offense in NFL history to a by far season-low of 14 points! Giants beat the 18-0 Pats to win it all.

It sometimes takes a real run of good fortune to go with good play to go all the way. It all came together for them that postseason.

Eli and the Giants had already been to the playoffs twice before that run and had played poorly or even horribly--going 1 and done both times..
The next postseason after the SB win, Eli went back to playing horrible playoff football again.....another 1 and done with 0 TDs, 2 ints, and a 40 rating.
Just weird.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Nobody was arguing that. However, the point remains, you must have a decent D to win a super bowl. We are going nowhere w/ our O talent as long as our D remains this atrocious.

It was implied. Besides, let's cut the bull. We all know why these posts are offered again and again.

Second, you are correct. For the most part, you need a decent D to win a Super Bowl. But not ABSOLUTELY. See the 2011 NY Football Giants. Ranking 29th in the league in defense isn't exactly a decent D. But the Giants D got hot at the right time.

So it's not impossible.

kskboys

Reaction score
It was implied. Besides, let's cut the bull. We all know why these posts are offered again and again.

Second, you are correct. For the most part, you need a decent D to win a Super Bowl. But not ABSOLUTELY. See the 2011 NY Football Giants. Ranking 29th in the league in defense isn't exactly a decent D. But the Giants D got hot at the right time.

So it's not impossible.
That Giants D you're referring to held every opponent under 21 pts in the playoffs. Gotta do your research, man.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
That Giants D you're referring to held every opponent under 21 pts in the playoffs. Gotta do your research, man.
I did my research. That same defense was 29th in the league. I already said they stepped up their game in the post season.

kskboys

Reaction score
I did my research. That same defense was 29th in the league. I already said they stepped up their game in the post season.
And this thread is about the importance of D to winning super bowls. The Giants D was far and away the biggest factor in the super bowl run. So, what's the importance of the regular season in this instance?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
And this thread is about the importance of D to winning super bowls. The Giants D was far and away the biggest factor in the super bowl run. So, what's the importance of the regular season in this instance?
Because it establishes a base-in for your team.
Defense and offense performances have to have a reference point.
We understand that a team, despite their defensive ranking in the regular season, can improve.
You can't know that without regular season stats.

kskboys

Reaction score
Because it establishes a base-in for your team.
Defense and offense performances have to have a reference point.
We understand that a team, despite their defensive ranking in the regular season, can improve.
You can't know that without regular season stats.
Of course. Obviously.

However, the Giants D was the primary reason the Giants won it all. That's what the thread was about, why the Giants won. In this instance their regular season ranking was irrelevant, because they performed at an extremely high level, and that performance was the difference, not Eli's play.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Of course. Obviously.

However, the Giants D was the primary reason the Giants won it all. That's what the thread was about, why the Giants won. In this instance their regular season ranking was irrelevant, because they performed at an extremely high level, and that performance was the difference, not Eli's play.

Eli did what he had to do. He made critical throws. You can downplay his role if you wish, but he has two Super Bowl rings, and that's why he's walking into the Hall of Fame.

You can have the last word.

kskboys

Reaction score
Eli did what he had to do. He made critical throws. You can downplay his role if you wish, but he has two Super Bowl rings, and that's why he's walking into the Hall of Fame.

And was bailed out by the D continuously.

I will take the last word, no problem. Eli is not close to a HOF Qb. If they put him in, that cheapens the whole idea of the HOF to a large degree. I'm not downplaying his role, I'm only saying it was secondary to the role of the D. His being named MVP in the first super bowl was a joke. Very sad day for football.

If you believe all it takes to deserve being in the HOF is two super bowl rings, I feel sorry for you. And you need to start lobbying to put in a pile of Cowboys who have 3 rings.

DFWJC

Reaction score
3rd week in a row that Baker has looked good.

This new coach has been good for him

kskboys

Reaction score
3rd week in a row that Baker has looked good.

This new coach has been good for him
Although I thought he was overdrafted, I also thought that he was capable of playing at a decent level.

75boyz

Reaction score

Totally like your quality of posts but KSK's description of Eli's overall body of work is spot on. So while I agree that your 2 rings argument is valid, in the big picture I agree with KSK's talent breakdown of Manning and defense dependent for those runs.

My own contribution to this is that it's his last name. Being Archies son and Peytons brother. For whatever reason the family name is a huge contributing factor for his HOF consideration.

My 2 cents

Go Cowboys