Difference in fans

ICP

Reaction score
We have to see how the rest of the draft plays out. Right now the pick looks great to me since they got a top 3 WR by most accounts and right now they have the choice of ALL the safeties on the board. Not one was chosen on day one. If they land McKinney, Delpit, or Winfield this draft has been a great one after two.
I don't think any of these guys will be there by the time Dallas picks again. They may need to trade up

conner01

Reaction score
People who are a fan of a team drafting a slot WR in the 1st round when they have bums roaming all around in the secondary shows their more entertained with scoring, fantasy football points, and hearing the train horn.

Defense (especially one that doesn’t get cut through like Swiss cheese) is what helps get you over the hump

Ask the falcons how much drafting a dude like Ridley in the 1st round to form a trip with Julio Jones and Sanu helped them get over the hump
Rather than trash, tell us who you would have taken

conner01

Reaction score
The question nobody can answer that opposes this selection.
SF jumped us and took Kinlaw, … Chaisson was there,, so that will be their answer.
I liked chaisson
But If a top 10 talents falls to you at a position that can contribute day one
You take him

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dallas isn't a draft away. The draft is for the future not the upcoming season. I wanted defense with the first 3 picks but I'm not mad they took lamb. Just hope he can stay healthy and Dallas actually uses him.

Spot on for the future.

Cooper's contract is written so in 2 years they can get out of it with minimal cap impact. Gallup will be ready for a contract as well. So they can let one go, keep the other, still have 2 elite type WR's. Or could still find a way to keep them all.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
People who are a fan of a team drafting a slot WR in the 1st round when they have bums roaming all around in the secondary shows their more entertained with scoring, fantasy football points, and hearing the train horn.

Defense (especially one that doesn’t get cut through like Swiss cheese) is what helps get you over the hump

Ask the falcons how much drafting a dude like Ridley in the 1st round to form a trip with Julio Jones and Sanu helped them get over the hump
this was both a short term and long term pick. although we gave Cooper a supposed $100M contract, in fact it can be only a one or two year contract, thus having a WR to step right in will ensure continuity on offense. keep in mind in a couple of years, if gallup continues to play as he has, he would be due for a large contract as well.

in regards to your slot WR comment, I think the fans (including yourself) are just reacting to have 3 WRs and automatically think Lamb is the slot WR. facts are that he can play any of the WR positions, so its not relegated to the slot ala Beasley or cobb were limited (although he could line up outside more often than Beasley). so wouldn't be surprised to see different WR formations including cooper in the slot. its just a matter of creating mismatches with your personnel. in fact you can line up two on the outside and create mismatches as well.....

and regardless, KC was a good example of a team that built on offense, then improved the defense and won a superbowl… they went from 31st to 17th on defense. not great, but good enough....you can make a case either way. SF built the defense and in the end that's what got them through to superbowl (if you only throw 8 passes, you are not building the offense). …. but they came up short....so take your pick on how you want to build

I don't disagree with building the defense. the defense isn't swiss cheese as you tried to put it...its an exaggeration on your part. does it need some pieces? yes. and draft is not over..

and when you have a player rated/ranked that high on your board, you don't hesitate and reach for a player that's rated lower. you take the player....you can only get better that way.....

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
What also bothers me is the Zeke investment. Have get him the ball 25 times a game for that to make any sense.
is the season started yet? I thought we didn't like garrett and his offense sucked and thus impacted all the offensive players...the year before in 2018, we complained we fed zeke too much... do we have to feed and play players according to the size of their contract? I am sure fans think so

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
The thing is not one safety went in round 1. They are available in round 2. Plenty of d line talent left, only 3 taken in round one. Corner is deep like receiver in this draft. Also there is still cap room to sign a veteran too. Enjoy the pick. Our offense just became lethal. Our D can get significantly better still. Let’s not forget our d line already has this offseason. Not to mention our coaching.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This argument only makes sense if the receiver is the only player a team acquires in the offseason, and if every team has exactly the same circumstances.

That said, I agree that the Cowboys had bigger needs on defense, but the entire near term future of the team doesn't rest on this pick.

cowboyed

Reaction score
We have to see how the rest of the draft plays out. Right now the pick looks great to me since they got a top 3 WR by most accounts and right now they have the choice of ALL the safeties on the board. Not one was chosen on day one. If they land McKinney, Delpit, or Winfield this draft has been a great one after two.

It's like panic at Corona Park with some forum members in here. There is plenty of draft to go and as you pointed out all the safeties are still on the board. I would think some pass rushers might be available as well. Maybe the Cowboys know something we don't know and that there is a decent chance of Aldon Smith and Randy Gregory being reinstated.

12+88=7

Reaction score

The defense last year was 9th in yards and 11th in points. They only gave up 30 points twice.

The defense was not as horrific as some make it out to be.

If you go game by game the defense was more consistent week in week out than the #1 offense in the NFL.

MRV52

rat2k8
Reaction score

Ask the Chiefs spending all that money on Offense while neglecting their defense, how it worked out for them.

dfense

Reaction score
I liked McKinney
I liked Chaisson
I wanted defense
But lamb was too good to pass up to me
I just think a safety is a later round pick. He'd have to be all world to justify a top half of the first round pick on him.

McKinney ran a 4.64 at the combine and is only 200 lbs. The next 3 safeties behind him are all faster and weigh 15-20 lbs more.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
getting a top safety would maybe make up for wr in 1st round.

If lamb turns out to be great in the nfl then it was a good pick, but a lot of these star guys dont do well in nfl,
and are divas .

mattjames2010

Reaction score
When a player of that caliber falls into your lap you thank Jesus and hit the gas.

What caliber? The way Jones spoke, Chaisson was right there with Lamb. There was always potential for Lamb to fall, he's a great prospect, but he's not an elite prospect. He was always viewed as outside the top ten and somewhere around a top 12-15.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are two things I do like about this pick. The Eagles didn't get the guy they wanted and the Eagles didn't get the guy they wanted.

Help yourself and hurt your adversary, that's a good day.